Intake rubber duct airfilter to carb wanted BX16

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Intake rubber duct airfilter to carb wanted BX16

Post by Aerodynamica »

Ello all, I was hoping someone would have a spare BX 16 intake elbow tube going.

It's the part between the air filter housing and the carb. intake. A tube of about 70mm diameter.

Anyone have such a beest?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

No one? :cry:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I've never owned a 16 mate, but surely you should be able to find something suitable from a local rubber pipe stockists or the such??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks maty, Quite right a simple 70mm diameter bit of tube could do but the 'elbow' part where it joins the cab is flattened and then goes oval! tricky bizniz to get that modded!

It's all because of the LPG installation - like on my CX I had to sacrifice the intake tube but I have a spare for replacing it back to stock.

What kind of place supplies various tubes? plumber's merchant?

I tried to get silicone 'performance' tubes before but was told they're unsuitable for use with gas - no true answer why since at that part of the system it's low pressure vapour.

G
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Aerodynamica wrote:I tried to get silicone 'performance' tubes before but was told they're unsuitable for use with gas - no true answer why since at that part of the system it's low pressure vapour.
Odd... Cant really see a problem with it..

Erm, here in Bristol we have a place called Provincial Rubber, they do every type of rubber related paraphernalia you could ever imagine, I guess there must be a similar place in Scotland??

Any chance of a picture of this here item, if it's similar to anything on a diesel I may have something in stock you could trim down or the such?

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Darn, I've butchered it already - no pic.

Only one I have is of it a few days ago with the mixer fitted in it - guess if you picture it without the silver bit in the middle?

Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

What on earths that thing in the air intake?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

What on earths that thing in the air intake?
It's a fair question and a good question :D

It's the mixer for the LPG system. This has to be fitted in between the air filter and the carb intake for this type of set up. Usually an LPG mixer is like a very simple carburetor with no butterfly valve(s), it is like a ring with a gas connection on the outside and a venturi on the inside, the venturi has the openings that draw in the gas vapour. The one pictured is a special 'BLOS' variable mixer (pinched off the CX to get the BX running) and it is structured like an S.U. carburetor with an inner piston that opens the channel more or less according to the flow of induction.

It's fairly crudely fitted in the intake tube because it was a bastard to fit! it's all sealed up now though.

There are many other new bits living in the humble BX16 engine bay now...
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Good man; it didn't take you long ;-)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

That's not the LPG kit off of Aphrodite is it Graeme?
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Dont think anything off a diesel will do somehow...

Someone must have 16 bits knocking around surely chaps?

Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Ha! no Jim, it's not the kit off Aphrodite! the only part I pinched off the sleeping beauty was that mixer thing in the intake!

Jono- I started last week just before Xmas and wrapped it up this evening after the final few bits arrived the day before New Year's eve.

It runs well on gas - still not tweaked it. It does odd things that don't happen on the CX though - after switching off, leave for a while, it doesn't start and run well on gas. The CX starts on gas from cold and runs very well on it but the BX seemingly needs to heat up a bit first.

It might be the auto choke that's interfering but it's early days yet so we'll see!

Doc - I didn't really think the diesel one would be the same tbh, anyway it's ok it was only going to be an issue if the LPG thing had teething troubles but it's running ok and after a 15 mile test run in thick fog it seems stable.. 8)
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'