Electric mirror(s)

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Electric mirror(s)

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Check out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-BX-87-ON- ... 0324652286

Now, unless I'm much mistaken the nearside/left-hand electric mirrors weren't heated on UK cars. This (these, rather as there're two available) could be continental ones. Nice if you want demisting on that side too!?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I thought they were, if its electrically powered it has a heater element from memory either way £10 for a new one is a bargain

BTW The one on the "green hornet" works but the glass wobbles at speed so maybe worth buying?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Duly bought 8) :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

As the orange man on the box says "cheap as chips"
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

i got one of those from them - and very good it is too!
.. after my better half destroyed mine reversing out a tight driveway! :x
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Yes :!:
But with-out the Black plastic Triangle bit between the door mounting face and the rubber bellow cover if you compare the photo's and also the price has gone up by a couple of quid, but still an absolute bargain :!:

For the N/S ones he had 2 – off listed, he’d got the same text/description as these O/S ones but the photo of N/S ones did not show how many plugs on the end of the lead.

The seller could have made a mistake and assumed that they are heated and operated electrically. If they are just heated you would only need a TWO pin plug connection (+ and -) surely! Rather than additional THREE pin (yellow plug).

I have checked my spare N/S one it has only one yellow three pin plug (with three wires), which was fitted to the TZD/GTi versions and did NOT have an electrically demist feature (If you missed out on the E bay seller’s N/S PM me and you can buy mine I also have an O/S normal manual type).

I’ve also just checked out the ^^bx> sales brochure 'Equipment Specification' on which models the N/S only 'Electrically Operated' mirror was fitted to as standard NO mention of a 'Electrically Heated' for the N/S ?
But there is a number '6' against the white dot in the brochure for the ^^bx> GTi,^^bx> GTi 4x4 and ^^bx> GT 16 valve.
And @ the bottom of the page (30 In mine dated 1-5-91) it states:- 6 = Driver's heated
Of course the spec. may have changed after 1-5-91 (For better or worse) some one out ther may know better ?

So for those persons who bought the N/S ones and if it’s only got a three pin Yellow plug on the end there’s NO demist feature , SORRY :!:
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

i can't remember, mines electric, i think it may have had a white and a yellow connector, i left one dangling, so no heating, but possible i guess. it is very slightly squarer in shape around the mirror than the o/s one so i wonder about its origin. but to all intents and purposes it is a BX mirror
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi

I've just received my n/s mirror. It's new, and yes, it does indeed have the two plugs as per the heated driver's side one (also new) I have here. So I assume it's heated: it does appear to be the same weight and just about identical.

It occurs to me that a LHD BX would have a heated mirror on that side, so they would've made them. As I said, maybe this is a continental spec one. :?:
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Hi Phil

so would you just feed a 12v supply to get it heated? Could have done with that in the snow!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, I was going to replace the mirror on the o/s of my GTi, see how it was all wired up, and do the same on the TZD estate's n/s, using this new mirror. Seeing as the estate needs a replacement (and the GTi doesn't really!), why not?...

Alternatively I do a swop and give the GTi dual-heated mirrors.... now that would be cool... or warm if you get what I mean :lol:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

The heated mirror is powered off the heated rear screen circuit, so it wouldn't be difficult to add the extra wiring to feed the N/S mirror heating element.

And yes, only the drivers side was ever heated (on leccy mirrors anyway) so I imagine these mirrors must be continental.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...