A Show of Hands please

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Back OT for a moment:
Not entirely cheery, but hey...

As I have mentioned to a couple of BXers, the Euro vs Pound business coupled with the recession is my biggest worry with regards to the BXagon.

If things don't improve (by that I mean if I get sufficient feedback from others indicating it will be too expensive to take part - despite wanting to) and I can't get enough people to commit either as contributing participants or sponsors in the coming months, then I will have no choice in postponing it to 2010 or canceling altogether. Things is tough. But we must be realistic... But... there's a big but:

BUT I have had enough positivity from quite a number to indicate it is established now in people's minds and despite the situation it will be done - against all odds. I will not initiate a review in any case until after April, (and the BXagon's final form isn't entirely up to me anymore as it has its own momentum). It's still early days.

Worst case scenario? Euro and Pound remain at parity and fuel costs climb very high again, while many potential teams become too worried about being away from work for that amount of time that the BXagon is completely untenable in its current form. I think this is something which needs to be pointed out (which I will do as a follow on to my recent 'SWOT' missive)...

However: I get the idea that even in the face of such obstacles, the resolve is there to see it through. I'm certainly not going to give up. Everything that can be done, will be done to push costs down. This will be obtaining deals with individual hotels, camping where practical, offer teams the option of ironing out parts of the route, avoiding tolls etc... All I ask is that those wanting to take part firm up their commitment, get those entry forms and fees in, promoting their team and to all BXagon supporters: get those pledges in. The more we have earlier on the better it is!

I will post this in the Events BXagon section too for consistency's sake.

In Kermit's words: LET'S DO IT!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

With a bit of fettling, the BX will be good to go - so I am planning on coming along too.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fettling in progress 8)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip Chidlow wrote::wink: :lol: Oh, I geddit :lol:
I don't. Is it Mk1 BXs and dodgy eighties hair cuts Tim? Something you're not telling us? I reckon you've got an extensive collection of 'new romantic' type albums, a mullet and have a Flock Of Seagulls ringtone on your phone!
Vauxhall apologist.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

People would donate more if a charity event is not about motoring. They feel guilty, environment, carbon footprint and all that !
cycling/walking/swimming would get more support.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I don't understand that observation being posted on a car forum which is mainly about car events. :?

I have to presume it was a wind up? :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In all seriousness, it matters little that we are driving around France as regards fund-raising. This 'environmental concern' has been raised at least once before but the impact of this concern is yet to manifest itself (in my experience to date) as a reluctance to give to the charity.

The 'Philibusters' are looking to do much of our Challenge using biodiesel. Others will be using petrol. Others diesel (which in France contains the highest proportion of Biodiesel in Europe). In the end, yes it would be better maybe for the environment if we just kept our BXs at home for two weeks doing nothing, but in the end, 15 old BXs driving a combined total of say, 40,000 miles won't make a difference really yet we will not have raised anything for Cancer Research UK. Maybe you'd consider asking for sponsorship to stay at home and not use your car for two weeks? It'd be an interesting experiment - the result of which is hardly a foregone solution! :D

Oh, and I have no doubt you could conceivably raise more than the BXagon if you persuaded 15 people to swim/run/walk and cycle around the periphery of France :wink: :D
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Way2go wrote:I don't understand that observation being posted on a car forum which is mainly about car events. :?

I have to presume it was a wind up? :)
My observation was just some constructive input, as there really are many people who think about the environment and think that 15 people could travel in 3 BX's rather than 10. (this is just an example)
You always have to look at the other side of the argument too.
Of course me personally, I think the Bxagon is a great idea, but I would always include some kind of environmental bits too.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I agree that "sponsorship per mile" would be rather questionable, but I intend to drive somewhere in my BX this year anyway

-it just so happens that I can raise/donate some money to a good cause as well as explore France.

I usually have a tour round France with my dad in the spring, but my father is very ill now, so my carbon footprint will remain much the same.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!