Driveshaft woes

BX Tech talk
DomRobinson

Driveshaft woes

Post by DomRobinson »

I've owned an H reg TZD for a year, and its generally beyond reproach; however, with a 100 mile a day commute, thought I'd treat her to a new cambelt (done without incident or tears), and a new N/S driveshaft as the outer CV joint is tired, and that's where the trouble started. Got a remanufactured one which was 69mm from the diff-end tip to the shoulder - odd, as the old one was about 73mm. The new one leaked profusely, so got a new outer oil seal, which unlike the old one, looked like a motorcycle fork seal, replaced everything and it still leaked, so took it back to the factors and put the old one back in, which is holding oil, but still has the knackered CV joint on the end. Has anyone else had this problem or can recommend a solution?

Problem 2, the lower ball joint - the old one's not too bad, and MOT testers usually miss them anyway, but for the sake of good order, thought I'd replace the old one - How do they come out? - The brutality I've employed on this to unscrew it knows no bounds, but I cannot shift it. What's the trick? - any help, suggestions or moral support gratefully accepted.
rmattila
BXpert

Re: Driveshaft woes

Post by rmattila »

DomRobinson wrote:Problem 2, the lower ball joint - the old one's not too bad, and MOT testers usually miss them anyway, but for the sake of good order, thought I'd replace the old one - How do they come out? - The brutality I've employed on this to unscrew it knows no bounds, but I cannot shift it. What's the trick? - any help, suggestions or moral support gratefully accepted.
I usually do it that way to save the special socket.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
DomRobinson

Post by DomRobinson »

Thanks for that. Brilliant pictures, and extreme brutality!! I am inspired..
philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

I made a Y shaped tool for removing btm joints, but you have to make sure you COMPLETELY un peened the locking collar. it's usually peened in 2 places
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Driveshaft woes

Post by Defender110 »

rmattila wrote:
I usually do it that way to save the special socket.
Excellent pictorial rmattila, thank you. I hope you have them for all the problems we may encounter on our BX's :?: :)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

What Philhod says about the locking tabs/collar is most important and often overlooked. Bend them out of the way and get the whole hub in a vice with a breaker bar on the socket drive and it turns quite easily and there's no need for 'violence' at all.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
philhod
BXpert

Post by philhod »

The shaped tool I made is like about 2ft long 1/2" x 3/4" bar, then another piece of 1/2" x 3/8" bent into a U the hard way, the internal dims of which are 1/2" wider than the joint.
The open ends are drilled about 3/8" in from the end, 1/4" dia at one side and 4.5 mm at the other to tap 6mm.
Once done the long bit is welded to the btm of the U and the shank of a broken 1/4 drill tapped in protruding 3/16" inside and welded.
A hard 6mm screw (the ones with a square head) can then be screwed into the other side.
Again once the tabs are unpeened this tool can locate into the slots and easily unscrew in situ, making it a stress free 25 minute job.
T is easier to actually burn the whole shape from a piece of 1/2" plate as I did, if you have the gear.
67 and still rockin (but not in a chair)