Tyre recommendations

BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I have noticed the longevity of Mitchies has certainly decreased over recent years but assume this is compensated for in grip / ride quality?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

The problem is, people don't understand that 'Michelin Energy' could be one of many different tyres. The new ones are significantly better in the wet than older notoriously bad Energies. I bought a set of E3A energies for my AX GT, and they were fantastic. Probably not the grippiest, but they were consistent in the way they handled, and I had no problems in the wet.

Not sure I'd want a set on the valver (Although i'm sure they're up to it). The only sticking point is the price, generally more than most people would like to spend on typically low-value cars.

Tyre technology has come on a long way in the last ten years...
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

citsncycles wrote:It may be slightly different because it's a GS, but I've had good results with both Firestone & Toyo - the latter having better grip but not as long lasting on the front.

I use toyos on the dyane and the Acadiane, both very good (and half the price of michelin x's nowadays)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye. My A-series fleet is on Toyos as well. Very impressed.

Matt H - you're probably spot on about my Michelin experience. I've no idea how old the tyres fitted to it were, but as the previous owner was an older gentleman, he probably didn't launch it into corners in quite the manner I do! They could have been very ancient.