dial indicator bracketry for diesel timing

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

dial indicator bracketry for diesel timing

Post by citsncycles »

I've found a couple of dial indicators coming from Ebay for setting up Timex's injection pump, but will need to make up the bracketry for mounting them. I just wondered if someone's done this before or has pics of the mounts in place - Haynes (as usual) is less than clear on the details.

As Andy Weston spotted an '85' stamped on the pump, I'm working on the assumption that this is the original pump, which is set using 1 indicator for pump position and a 2nd for engine position.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
barry badger
BXpert

Re: dial indicator bracketry for diesel timing

Post by barry badger »

I have all of the brackets and a dial gauge for the pump if you want to borrow them. just cover the postage. I'm not sure but you may be able to use the crankshaft timing pin for tdc instead of a dial gauge?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks for the offer - I'm hoping my dial gauges will arrive Monday, so will start work on the brackets then.

If you could post a pic of your bracket I'd be grateful.

According to the Haynes book of lies, the early Bosch pump like mine is timed at 4mm below TDC, not TDC like the other pumps, which is why I need the 2nd indicator, and may explain why mine is out at the moment
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

I'm afraid i can't post any pictures as our computer is in some sort of restricted mode, it needs attention!
Not that i would know how to anyway!
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

No worries, I'll work it out.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

barry badger wrote:I'm afraid i can't post any pictures as our computer is in some sort of restricted mode, it needs attention!
Not that i would know how to anyway!

If you can email me Barry I will post them.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

I'm afraid i can't send any pictures via e mail also, but i am more than happy to lend my timing kit out i'm in no rush for it back at all. I bought it to time my tzd before i discovered the problem was compression not timing. If you need it mike pm me your address and i'll send it straight away.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks for the offer Barry, but I think I've worked out what I'm doing now - watch this space!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD