Skirt removal!

BX Tech talk
Matt H
1K Away

Skirt removal!

Post by Matt H »

I have found someone willing to weld the rear door-shuts on the new BX for me, but he said I'd need to remove the skirts - because he has done it in the past and said 'never again!'

In my head, I have an idea of how its done, and have seen Kitch removing some bits years ago, but really looking for anyone with experience to tell me exactly what to do, as I really don't fancy damaging anything. Although, the skirts themselves will be repainted - it's a black car and they're stone-chipped to buggery - I'd rather not damage them.

I also remember Kitch using a bit of old wardrobe rail with a flattened end, along with a mini-blowtorch. Any other make-shift tools that would be handy? I only need to remove the back two sections on both sides.

Last time I tried this it didn't end well... Although I was 15, ill-equipped and wholly inexperienced at the time :lol:
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: Skirt removal!

Post by RobC »

have you seen this topic on the bx16v site?

good luck!

http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It's a bitch, but yeah you're on the right track. Basically get rid of all the rivets (it's also screwed on behind the arch spats too, but I can't remember how I approached them - don't remember taking them off) and the I used a wardrobe rail (anything metal and thin will do) and then set about heating the end of it till it was glowing hot and then using it to cut through the mastic from the wheel arch ends inwards by tapping it with a hammer. Makes it easier if you heat the skirt too, though you've got to be really careful not to get it too hot (very easy to do) as it goes pretty soft and you'll lose the shape.

The mastic stuff is a bitch.....it holds the plastic trims along the roof edges on too. Worst time of year to attempt as well mate, if it could wait until summer I'd do that.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Fair dos... Thanks for the info.

I fancied getting it through a test as early as March, before I put the white one in - as that's also due a fair amount of new tin around the boot floor!

Luckily I have a spare set of skirts, but Really don't want to use them unless I have to!