The Myth, The Legend, The Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
David
BXpert

Re: The Myth, The Legend, The Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4!

Post by David »

I completely forgot to reply to the previous posts here.

From what I've seen, it's just luck of the draw with the flywheels. Some have the cut-out, some don't. If the car originally has an alloy sump, then it'll probably have it, whereas if it's a steel sump, then it'll probably be the non-cut-out flywheel. My car originally had a steel sump & an automatic flywheel, but I've never tried an alloy sump with the driveplate.

Yes, cutting a piece out would allow it to be fitted, but I was reluctant to cut any metal off because the spacer plate is already hollow, and with my car being a bit leak happy, I didn't want to give it any more weak points where the oil could potentially leak out!

Well, it's been a busy few weeks again with the BX.

Firstly, I decided that I needed to fix the rear speakers that were rattling, rather than actually playing the radio, so I found a pair out of an old stereo system and adapted them to fit in the BX brackets. Then I connected 'em up, and great! Actual audible sound! While the C pillar trims were off, I decided to give them a good clean, so in the sink they went.
IMG_3349[1].JPG
Then I thought it was about time that I cleaned the roof lining, greased the sunroof & rust proofed the inside of the roof, so I pulled the roof lining out of the car, dismantled & cleaned everything, painted the inside of the roof, which wasn't actually bad, & started reassembling it. I never realised that the roof lining was so dirty. It looks much better now! The sunroof moves much faster too!
IMG_3362[1].JPG
While the A pillars were off, I decided to get the windscreen replaced, which I've wanted to do since I got the car, so I asked one company to do it, and he never bothered showing up, (it turns out that he's an unreliable a**, but I won't dwell on that), so I asked another company to do it & the next day, I had a shiny new windscreen!

Next, I decided to finish getting the AC system in order, so I pulled the dash out & dismantled all the recirculation flaps, heater fans etc, and gave everything a good wash while it was all out of the car. I had to make some new plates for inside the flaps, as the pivots had rotted away on both. I used an old roasting tin, which was a perfect thickness!
IMG_3364[1].JPG
IMG_3363[1].JPG
I then had to alter the holes where the flaps mounted into the car, as they didn't fit quite right, so I got the grinder out & slightly enlarged them. After some cleaning & new paint, things started going back together.
IMG_3366[1].JPG
IMG_3368[1].JPG
When I reattached the fan wires that I made when I installed the AC system, I wasn't happy about how slow they seemed to go when they were running, so I altered the circuit. I connected another live to the 2nd fan, and ran another neutral to the control relay inside the car, Then I decided to give each fan it's own control relay, so it uses 1 wire for the slower speeds through the transistor, & when the relays are activated, they both have independent earths now. It's true tornado speed! (The red & white wires that are plugged together are for the 4x4 diff lock light)
IMG_3367[1].JPG
Then I had another look at the A/C "black box" issues that I was having last year. The box itself turned out to be fine. The culprit was this:
IMG_3369[1].JPG
As I didn't have another lying around, I used a temp sensor out of an old Peugeot 208 mirror, soldered it in & so far it seems to be working.

I then reassembled all the interior of the car & left it running for a while. Then I found that I had a leak from the dreaded heater tap! So I just pulled the steering shroud back out & removed the tap. I then disassembled it & found the culprit.
IMG_3377[1].JPG
The leak was coming from the top of the tap, around the control rod, which was that tiny seal at the top of the picture! Luckily, I had a new O ring, which was a perfect fit. It's extremely awkward to fit in though! It then took me around 2 days in total just to get the tap back in! How could anyone do it in 2-3 hours?!?

After checking everything over on the car, I then took it to a garage for an MOT & to have the A/C system gassed up.
IMG_3376[1].JPG
The A/C system is very cold. It's great, although it uses a lot of the power from the N/A engine.
It also sailed through the MOT, although he (verbally) advised me to get the exhaust replaced. I also got comments like "it's mint" & questions on how I'd put it together.

Can anyone recommend any decent insurance companies now? I'm thinking of insuring it as a classic, as it won't be being used much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Impressive work there David. You have been busy.
I insure mine with Peter S Taylor on a Classic 3k miles policy with agreed value for £89. https://www.bishopcalway.co.uk/
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 65 Peugeot Boxer van 160k
Ven red tzd turbo 294k it will live again
Nissan Micra K13 the wife's run around

Post by rutter123 »

I've always used Footman James for my TD comes in less than £100 not sure on miles p/a.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability

deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

The car looks to be really coming together David!

https://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/download ... &mode=view

Your shot of the roof lining is most interesting as I was going to post something along the lines of "Citroen BX: loves driving, hates sunroofs". I'm well versed in keeping the rear drain tubes clear, but the front ones are a different matter giving rise to leaks on my first GTi.

My first issue was accessing the tube running in the A-pillar due to sound proofing which is well and truly stuck to the pillar! Eventually I managed to access the bottom of the tube on the driver's side, but didn't even attempt it on the passenger side as access seemed even worse. I also dropped the roof lining to give a little access at the top. As far as I could ascertain both tubes were not blocked and were attached.

This then brings me on to the the second issue, why do I keep getting leaks? Could it be that the design of the area where the tube meets the roof lining is inadequate and that anything but a small amount of water just overwhelms the drain? Any thoughts on this? Removing the roof lining is probably a bigger job than I can reasonably tackle...
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 84000 miles
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 71,000 miles

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

deltic wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:15 pm

This then brings me on to the the second issue, why do I keep getting leaks? Could it be that the design of the area where the tube meets the roof lining is inadequate and that anything but a small amount of water just overwhelms the drain? Any thoughts on this? Removing the roof lining is probably a bigger job than I can reasonably tackle...
Where exactly does the leak come from. You can test the tubes by pouring water into the metal channel with the roof open. The water should drain away readily down through the tubes without any leaks at all usually.
You can get leaks from the area above the front doors where the sunroof frame in the headlining meets the roof. This area is sealed with mastic from the headlining to the roof which hardens with age and no longer keeps the water in the channel. I have sealed mine using silicone sealant, applied easily when the sunroof is open.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.

deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Jaba wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:56 pm
deltic wrote:

Where exactly does the leak come from. You can test the tubes by pouring water into the metal channel with the roof open. The water should drain away readily down through the tubes without any leaks at all usually.
You can get leaks from the area above the front doors where the sunroof frame in the headlining meets the roof. This area is sealed with mastic from the headlining to the roof which hardens with age and no longer keeps the water in the channel. I have sealed mine using silicone sealant, applied easily when the sunroof is open.
Thanks, that sounds about right for where the leaks are when I pour water down. I'll try to inspect more closely.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: LOTS!

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice to meet you David at the National, your car is very impressive
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....

deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Yes, good to meet David too - you really rose to the challenge of creating that 4x4!

Was it just me but I got the impression that there was an awful lot more enthusiasm for BXs which can only be a good thing. But where were the ZXs or even SMs? Or did they all turn up on Sunday?

David
BXpert

Post by David »

deltic wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:28 pm
Yes, good to meet David too - you really rose to the challenge of creating that 4x4!

Was it just me but I got the impression that there was an awful lot more enthusiasm for BXs which can only be a good thing. But where were the ZXs or even SMs? Or did they all turn up on Sunday?
Tim Leech wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:50 pm
Nice to meet you David at the National, your car is very impressive
It was nice to meet you both too! Thanks to everyone for all their compliments! I had a fair bit of interest in the car, at least from the people who realised what it was. it's too bad that I didn't have any ramps for you to have a better look underneath.

I was expecting more cars there too. Did more arrive on Sunday?

The car drove down to the National Rally & back again with no problems, asides from an oil leak from the rocker gasket, so I'll have to replace that.

It's clocked up over 400 miles now in the last week. It's nice to actually drive it on the road. I've already had people waving at me & making comments about it wherever I've gone.

In the end I used Adrian Flux for the insurance; "Peter S Taylor" & "Footman James" were completely useless & unhelpful.
deltic wrote:
Removing the roof lining is probably a bigger job than I can reasonably tackle...
Removing the roof lining isn't as difficult as it first appears, provided that you're willing to have it out for a few days while you take the time to investigate any problems & allow you to take your time to reassemble it. The only things that are worth mentioning, are that there are some screws at the front that can corrode. If they do, then the job can quickly become a headache if you can't get them out. Secondly, it'd be advisable to have some super glue ready, just in case your drain tubes become detached (or have already, which could be the cause of your leak), and thirdly, you'll ideally need a second person to help you put it back in. Granted it can be done on your own, but it's not easy.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).