GTi's oil guage having a mind of its own

BX Tech talk
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

GTi's oil guage having a mind of its own

Post by paul001 »

My GTi's oil guage has a mind of its own ie when I turn the ignition on the guage will read variable positions on each turn.

One of my tutors at college suggested the oil pressure switch had failed so replaced that and still the variable readings

help!!!!!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

The first few seconds when you first turn the key.....the oil gauge displays the LEVEL of oil in the sump. Once you start the engine, it registers the oil pressure.
First thing in the morning, it will read much higher than later in the day, as all the oil will have drained back into the sump!
Simples!! :D

Dave
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

As above, but the guage is dual purpose on a time delay not switched by the ignition. Of course ignition must be on and engine started to have oil pressure. :wink:

When the guage is illuminated through the back needle strip, it is reading level, after the time delay and providing the engine is running it will 'jump' to reading oil pressure and the back light will go out.

The level reading becomes erratic with age so best to use the dipstick to be sure of level instead. The pressure readings in my experience continue to operate reliably.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Well my 19TZS and TRS have both got Oil Gauges fitted and to be honest I dont take notice of it prefering to check the traditional manual way of the Dipstick.

Given to rely on my eyes rather than a Electronic gizmo thats unreliable at the best of times and having a New Engine why you think I choose the manual system?

Thats after 20 years of BX ownership and that not let me down yet...
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91