1992 TXD Turbo - requires some work

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

there could well be a happy ending coming up here, i am SERIOUSLY interested in the car and will probably end up being its next keeper.

having spoke to james via pm i think we bay be about to do a deal with the price of the car adjusted accordingly i think it could be viable for me to buy it and still afford to fix it, ie new rear arm bearings, alternator, starter and turbo...

anything else we think the car needs, other than a nice set of vtr wheels ;-)
Formerly known on here as The Death Wolf many (howled at) moons ago....
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Thanks for the interest by the way, I was about to put it in eBay which I didn't really want to do, hopefully it'll go to someone (you) who's good with these cars, and who'll look after it and fix it up nicely.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I REALLY dont think it'll need a turbo.
I've only ever heard of one XUD that needed a new turbo (3 times) and that was mine.

I rather suspect you may end up with a bargain there.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

docchevron1472 wrote:I REALLY dont think it'll need a turbo.
I agree, probably something very simple that I've failed to find myself.
bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

could someone post links to the threads pertaining to the diagnosis of this car thus far so i can look into it...

i am seriosuly interested, but need to make sure it will drive home to aberdeenshire. I have tried searching for posts by tourist, but cant figure out how to filter that search to threads spudded by tourist
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Oooh, that could take a while!
There were about eleventy billion threads about the turbo alone!

The main issues IIRC are:
It's slow, but it does run.
Suspect stuck wastegate on turbo, or boost pipe not fitted to turbo, or maybe the fuel metering unit..
Eitherway, dont think the turbo's carcked it.

Rot on the sill, exceot it isn't, it's been welded before, it's just got some pigeon shit welding, 5 minutes with a grinding wheel and some balck paint, sorted.

Rear arm bearings are creamed. But then, it's an easy job and any BX will need arm bearings sooner or later.

There was some issue with the battery and / or charging system, but I think, again IIRC, that was a duff battery and now sorted?

I think thats about it.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

cool....

cheers doc btw

right blow by blow...

sills
i've got a mate whos a fabricator, jsut need to find a day when his boss is out of work to get them migged

bearings
ballache of a job but i've done them before, worst case is i need a pair of arms if these ones are knacked, or i could get them welded and dressed to take new bearings

turbo
i did find one of the turbo threads, my gut tells me its a stuck actuatorbut my brain says it wouldn't stick in the open position it would seize up in the closed position when the car was parked up long term. but this job could be be about inconvenient as catching ebola trying to cure it as from what i can gather the turbo on this engine is about as well buried as the city of atlantis

starting
this is one of my biggest worries about getting the car home, stop for fuel and wont start 8-(

has anyone tested the starter itself by hotwiring the solenoid,

so i'd like some more info on the start / charge thing? i could wire up a little board with a push button energising a relay to feed the solenoid, which would crank the motor... if its a good starter?

my old suitcase engined bx used to aye sound like she had a flat battery, even getting jump started. well it did until i rebuilt the starter. it transpired that the nose bush was shagged and it was consequently running slightly off centre and binding, causing it to labour

charge system
you mentioned the charge system, while changing an alternator isnt a major ballache, im really worried about the car running out of electricitysome where dark windy and remote \ desolate, particularly because i'll be driving at night on dips atleast :-\ its about a nine hour train journey and about a ten hour drive

im currently thinking of wiring up a patch lead to the plus terminal of the battery with a proper battery clamp on it, and cnnecting that patch lead to a small box in which there will be a half inch solid steel buzz bar, with a proper battery terminal at he other end, onto which i'd connect the normal battery lead. off the buzz bar i'd take a pair of light weight feeds one as an excitor to the alternator via a relay, and another to the above board/relay to energise the solenoid... at extremus.

or slightly less hardcore, board, two relays, one ignition controlled live tee'd off two ways, one to a relay feeding power direct from the battery through a fuse, to the alternator, as a new excitor wire, the other leg of the tee, coming into the cabin if it didnt originate there, and through a momentary switch to a relay to feed power direct from battery to eolenoid.

but i need to find a good easily gotten to ignition controlled live for either of these solutions. anyone got any ideas where i could easily get my hands on a ign controlled live to tee onto? and how easy is it to find the alternator? ditto starter?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Least mechanically minded person on the forum calling:

As regards stopping for fuel if you took some jerry cans with you and filled it up that'd be that problem eliminated.

If you're concerned it won't start again due to battery not holding charge then bring a spare battery or buy one of those boost pack type things from Machine Mart etc. Mine lasted years and is still going though not as powerful as it was.

Bear in mind you'd obviously have to get a lift down there to carry all the gubbins but if you did and you bought a tow rope with you you have another vehicle (pun intended) to get it going again if needed.

However the best thing you could bring is something that will fit into your pocket and stop any real worries. An RAC/AA/Green Flag card. Let them worry about it if you did stop and couldn't get going again.

Then all you need to check is that the radio work works and is tuned into between 88-91 FM. Tezzer Wogan, Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright for the ultimate win.
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Tourist will need to answer the charging question, for I really cant remember if that got sorted or not.
I seem to remember that it was a duff battery, but I could be entirely wrong on that.

As for the radio tunage, well yeah, R2 is ok, but the cool kids listen to R4!

Incidentally, I dont think the sill's will actually need welding, from the picture Jame's posted of it here, it really looks like it just needs dressing properly with a grinding stone and painting.

I've not seen the car in the metal, so I cant confirm for sure what the beef is with the turbo situation, but I'm almost convinced it's a no outlay fix.

The turbo aint too bad to get at, from underneath. So if you have a lift / ramp then it's get atable.

bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

well i've been and priced new, softer spheres, alternator, starter, and used turbo...

and even told the wife about it so you know im serious :lol

i've put an firm offer to james, by pm, to buy the car, im just waiting on a reply
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Great, let us know how it goes!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I got your pm, reply sent :)

The starter problem hasn't been sorted, I took the radio out (proud) as it remained on at all times (?) and I thought it could be draining the power, but this hasn't helped anything.

Even after a long drive I doubt the car will start if you turn it off so jerry cans are a good idea.

Just let me know if you want to know more but I posted all over the forum about the car when I got upset about it so anything you need should be easy enough to find :lol:
bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

i did reply to that pm james, and i have jsut sent you another pm can you let me know whats happening?
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Sorry to keep you waiting. The car is withdrawn from sale as someone has (kindly) offered to help me with it.

If the car goes back up for sale I will let you know bravo-x-ray.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Good news Tourist, perhaps there's light at the end of the tunnel afterall :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.