Heads-up on a BX corrosion point

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Heads-up on a BX corrosion point

Post by DLM »

My recent MOT brought up a corrosion fail point I should have spotted but didn't .

The box section in which the rear suspension bump stop fits was holed and needed a substantial repair. I'd suggest you check this point - and the seam on the outer edge of the box section as I've had corrosion at that point on another BX.

Any BX is now of an age where you can't expect the thickness of metal used for the bodywork to resist the ravages of time. For the record , the car had been waxoyled underneath and in all accessible cavities a couple of years back. However, being a car of a certain age, it WILL rust.

Mine is an estate, normally not as bad a a hatch for rear rot, but I'll repeat my warning about rot where the boot floor meets the rear valance on hatches and in the box sections attached to the boot floor - just about all hatches rot there.

Apologies for the repetition to anyone who's read my posts about rear hatchback rot before.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

This is where my yellow estate has gone too. I had in up on the lift at Frank's garage near here and he poked his screwdriver through.

He then disappeared into his parts store and emerged a while later with the said box section - new, in original primer, just very dusty. He gave it to me as a gift but now I've got to fit the thing!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

That's a good discovery - does it have a part number attached?

Also, is it a handed part for one side only, or a universal one? I'm not near enough to my BX to check at the mo.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, I think the part number is still on it ( are you interested in this number David?) but I might be refering to a different box section. This one runs the whole way across, underneath just in front of the rear bumper - that is where mine has gone through.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Certainly not the same part - but probably useful to know anyway. As I said, if it's metal it'll rust....
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

David

I think the rot on hatch, rear box section you mentioned, is possible due to the drains on this section being blocked, with heavy paint/coverings from new.

Not sure if estates have a drain on this section similar to a hatch?? Might be on the very ends, where it joins the rear wing??

Todd -- any raised or kinked sections on your new unit?

With the hatch. From the box section area, about 3-5cms forward on lower edge of the rear inner wing, you may find a 2-3cm long, slightly raised and very narrow D shaped slot.
I should imagine water from the sun roof rear drains were intended to exit from this area to drain the channel.

Were the body shells dipped for primer/undercoats??

A hacksaw blade works well in clearing these. Also, you can enlarge this opening with a tapered drift to extend a thinner drain tube to exit here.

Regards