Not an unqualified success!

BX Tech talk
SamWise
BXpert

Not an unqualified success!

Post by SamWise »

My Hydraulic Pump belt died, so I thought I'd fit a new one. After rounding off two allen key bolts, and losing the key down into the engine bay, I decided I could do the job without removing the intercooler. Then I discovered I had the wrong size belt. Some days you're just not winning.

Turns out, they'd sold me the belt for a 1.9 GTi, not a TD. Any bets how I'll go on tonight when I have the correct one?
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

If its that sort of day best leave it til tomorrow :lol:
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

That was yesterday. Today is bound to be wonderful!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You are removing the battery first aren't you? Sorry if that sound like a daft question but I've previously spent AGES working on inaccessable parts, only to realise that by taking off and easily removabe component, the job would be a lot easier...:oops:
Also, the belt needs to be extremely tight - I use a wedge type balljoint splitter as a lever between the pump bracket and pump body to get sufficient tension to avoid slipping.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

I haven't, but on the TD, I don't think it's really anywhere near. I will take a look though when I go back, because I'm mistrusting my memory of the engine bay! Thanks for the tip,

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Ok, well, I'm clearly a dunderhead as regards positioning of the battery relative to the HP pump!

Anyway, didn't remove the battery, got the belt on no problem, used a big prybar to make sure it was tight, and whilst I was winning installed my new washer pump (some bodgery required - wrong connector), and made a new spraybar out of cable ties and washer hose with a few holes in, directly connected, avoiding the problem spot of the spindle. I feel like a success!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Sam do own the BUS in you signiture, if so is it up and running, as my freind sets up and runs the HASTINGS (10666 and all that) bus raley every year around MAY time, he also is in charge of HAPPY HAROLD who is a HASTINGS trolley bus with a three cylinder diesel lump in it,

if you want i will pm you his phone No.

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Hi Malcolm

I do own it, but it's by no means roadworthy. Big jobs of the summer are to pour a slab, put up the sectional garage I got off freecycle, and then have the bus towed into the space on my lawn/drive that's no longer full of bits of sectional garage, so I can do it up. Will be at least a year!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM