Bumper Mystery

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Turboalternator wrote:Sorry the link in my last post incorrect. Here it is:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... X_Midi.jpg
That is indeed a Mk1 BX, and rather rare base 14 too.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

These are still around in France as rural hacks - quite a few of the Mk1s I've seen there are low-spec 14s. Four wheels and a ticket = worth euros and worth running for as long as they can be made to hold up.

Turboalternator - a Mk2 bumper of some description shouldn't be too difficult to source secondhand if you're prepared to sit tight and look awhile. The one on offer will on eBay will need painting as it'll be in base grey plastic (that's how Citroen replacement bumpers were supplied after a certain point). What colour is your car? Could start to get expensive....

Also, if the Moroccan repairers did do the amount of filling and fitting mods you describe (with the best of intentions) it could end up being a bit messy when/if you do replace the Mk1 bumper, and you probably will need to source from a breaking car to get the plastic wing-mounts either side of the bumper, plus various extra bits of bumper trim (see pic below). Most of these will currently be missing from your car, and won't come with a replacement new-old-stock-bumper. If you want to do the job, do it completely, and save the old Mk1 bumper for a Mk1 owner.

And, if you can remove one yourself from a breaker, including the bits and the fixings, then you'll have a better idea of how to put it back on again!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Bumper mystery

Post by Turboalternator »

Hallo Mulley and DLM,

Thanks for your posts. Sorry about the delay but I did not get an alert on my email from the BXclub that there had been a response on the subject. I'm sure that I did not cancel it.

Mulley - Again - thanks for your post. Just to let you know that, because the ebay listing stated that the bumper for sale would fit BX's from 1983 to 1994, the question has eventually come down to whether the bumper for sale would fit either Mk1 or Mk2 Bx's.

DLM - Thanks for this - very helpful indeed. I don't know how you managed to paste the parts No. + diagram into your post -- could you let me in to your secret?!

The diagram, however, especially with resepct to the part numbers, is a little illegible. I wonder if you would be kind enough to send me a good pdf via PM? I'd be really grateful.

Of course you are right about what you said about getting the stuff from a scrapyard .. but where?!... I'm in the London area and if any scrapyard guys are seeing this post and have such a bumper could you please PM me.

Regards and thanks all around
19 TRS Estate
In the past: 2CV, Dyane 4, GSA
Be faithful to your BX and she'll be faithful back
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

PM sent.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.