Torbo whistleing

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

warriorBX wrote:i have had a considerable loss of power.
This needed mentioning at the beginning of the thread. There's no way any diagnosis can be done by anyone over a forum without all the information.
warriorBX wrote: I wouldn't be suprised if the bearings were damaged too,
Did you read what I wrote above? These turbos do not have bearings. The shaft floats in a film of oil.
warriorBX wrote: the old girl's done 181986 miles, and i doubt the turbo's ever been replaced, let alone serviced
As mentioned by Doc, the turbo on an XUD will almost never fail. In 99% of cases they outlast the engine. I'm also wondering just what you expect to be done to service a turbocharger?... short of changing the engine oil there's nothing else that can be done. Anything more than that would mean needing an exchange reconditioned turbo.
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Not a red herring after all then.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Depends entirely on just what the sound the turbo is making. If it's turbo whistle, that can ONLY be caused by the turbo achieving high RPM, and hence boosting properly. If the wastegate is wide open that cannot happen.

If the wastegate is indeed wide open, then you won't get turbo whistle, just a lot of noisy bypass, which might be mistaken for turbo whistle, but is a very different effect.

As I mentioned above, it's very difficult to diagnose a fault like this without having driven the car and actually experience the noise that it's making, and then be able to compare it to previous experience of failures and what they sound like.
this might be a signature
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Whistling turbo.

Post by Dollywobbler »

citro-geoff wrote:What tune does it play!!! Seriously though,mine has been whistling for the last 4+ years and 40k miles,with no adverse effect on the car.I have put it down to an air leak somewhere in the system,and as it doesn't affect the performance,have left it. If the turbo bearings were going,then the car would probably start smoking as the bearing seal will go and oil would be sucked into the inlet or the exhaust system,and it would also make a noise,as the clearances are quite tight in the housing.Geoff
Sorry to dredge this one back up again but this post is very reassuring! The Turbo is indeed very noisy, making a rasping sort of a noisue which had me thinking it might be bearing. Does sound like it is just an air leak then - which would make sense as I reckon it is slightly down on boost and certainly laggier than my TXD. (quite handy having the two to drive back to back).

As the car will be in the garage for a wheel bearing on Thursday, perhaps I can have a bit of an investigate while it's on the ramp.