Wheel studs needed for speedlines

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Sorry Matt, I'm afraid these are the wrong type for my wheels. I think these are for 6J speedlines. I should have mentioned that mine were the narrower GTI speedlines rather than the 6Js.

Phil, do you still have yours, and are they the type I need? (left in image)
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

No mine are the same as the ones in the right of the image. Sorry!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

How many do you need? I do have some spares but I was keeping them in case I get some speedlines for the TRS, this looks unlikely though now.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Broken Wheel nuts? I would be very concerned as to why they broke! You say that you cross threaded them....but then how much pressure were you exerting to do them up! Wheel nuts (especially on alloy wheels) should only be tightened to the recommended torque setting as per the book.
Whenever I get new tyres put on I never let a fitter near mine with one of those air wrenches; always take my torque wrench with me and do it myself. Get yourself a torque wrench or borrow one, set it to the right torque and you'll be surprised at just how little torque (force) is recommended/required.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Tim, I need four of them, although only one of the rear ones has been checked so how much would you want for the whole set?

Mike, it turns out it was a garage that broke them before I bought the car by using an air gun to tighten them too much (verified by rhv100), I have a wheelbrace already and thats all I ever use to tighten them.
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Is there anywhere (shops or internet) that stock these studs? I dont think the ones Tim has are suitable as they came off aftermarket wheels rather than speedlines.
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Ahhh... Sorry, I didn't think!

I honestly think 5.5j alloys must be rarer now, although they actually look identicle to 205 GTi bolts.

eBay link

Might want to check that before you buy 'em though, as i've never owned any 5.5j Speedlines before.
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Those look just like the ones, I guess they were used on multiple PSA alloy wheels. If I haven't found any by the time that auction ends I'll get them.

Need to get the BX back on the road ASAP and those studs are the only thing stopping me.
1992 BX TXD Turbo
RxBX
Over 2k

Speedline/Studbolts

Post by RxBX »

Hi Boxwolf,
5.5" or 6 " Speed-lines should use the one's as on the Right-Hand side in the photo you posted,

The one on the Left-hand side look to me, as ones which come off a PUG which has already been pointed out !

RxBX
Last edited by RxBX on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I could well be wrong here, as I have never had a BX with alloys, but could it be that the reason that your bolts stripped is that *they* are the wrong ones and aren't long enough?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jonathan_dyane wrote:I could well be wrong here, as I have never had a BX with alloys, but could it be that the reason that your bolts stripped is that *they* are the wrong ones and aren't long enough?
Thats a very good point jonathan! 8) Looking at the photo the stripping is on the end of the thread and when you take into account that there is a chamfer at the start there probably isn't enough bolt into the hub!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It would seem strange that the 5.5J wheels would have a thinner section where the bolts are...as the forces experienced would be identical. IMO, the area where the threads are stripped looks shorter than required. I can check the elngth of the 5.5J 205 bolts tomorrow if needed.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Aha, beat me to it Mr 2go!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote:Aha, beat me to it Mr 2go!
Great minds thinking alike eh? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Boxwolf,
General engineering nuts/bolts TEND to be as follows:-
Nuts are Grade 8 and Bolts 8.8 this is so as to 'Allow a nut to strip it's threads' if over tightened or cross threaded before/rather than the bolt so that you can replace the nut (Female thread) which is usually easier and cheaper than a bolt (Male thread) to manufacture !
So as has already has been pointed out if the stud-bolt (Male thread/stronger material) has had its thread 'Torn' .
What has happened to the hub side (Female thread) ? relative to it's integrity and safety of actually been able to hold/retain a wheel on to its hub as originally designed for ?
You need to check if the hub threads (Female) have been Mashed ?
If they have for safety sake you will need to have new hubs fitted or have the hub repaired with S/S Helicoils fitted :!:
Best of luck in your findings.