BX Mk1 needed for newspaper feature

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Vanny wrote:(hey look i can post in brackets too)
:lol: Yep, don't know what happened there :lol: blame lack of edit button.

I don't necessarily think it's worth debating as it gets a bit anoraky :D but from pictures I've seen of GT's the fogs appear to be correct. I'm pretty sure that, on a Mk. 1 there weren't the recessed ones found in later BXs. Todd found a wonderful aftermarket bumper fitting which did recess the fogs (which seem to be the same as Tim's GT). Is it that Tim's are the wrong size? I couldn't be sure TBH. The bumper's right though isn't it? Or am I being a BX numpty?

BTW Who's Jazz?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Given that this BX had a bit of a stoff in the front when Adam owned it, and he repared it with parts from a MK2 19TRS, I'd say there's a very good chance that the front end is non-original.

It's also wearing snoopy's old short-nose bonnet, when I believe it should have a long-nose on it.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ahhh, I'd forgotten that. I stand corrected. It's still a nice and smart BX, of course. I imagine it's a pleasing drive too.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The only part of the GT that isnt correct is indeed the short nosed bonnet with a black grille, kindly donated by stuart/david as the original was in cracked and damaged. The front crossmember and front bumper were repaired by the bodyshop, thankfully the foglamps were undamaged in the accident, I fitted 2 new headlamps and indicators to "brighten" the front up.

The original engine had overheated so adam replaced it with one from a 19TRS (exactly the same) but just used the engine itself and the rebult head, all the ancillaries, gearbox, pump etc etc was retained from the GT.

I must say it does go very well 8)

Looking forward to tomorrow, lets hope it doesnt rain ALL day!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So can you confirm that the front fogs are OE?
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Philip Chidlow wrote:(Actually they are original fogs for the GT, as is the bumper AFAIK. OK the fogs would've been white on UK spec cars. But you are right about the number plate. It should really be a legal UK one IMO).
Oooh, I meant bonnet not bumper :roll: I prefer the look of the short nose tbh, and although I prefer it, it somehow does look wrong on a mk 1.

Does look a nice car mind. Tim you need yellow headlamps/bulbs. Can you post piccies of the inside please? I loved those drum speedo's. One of our mk 1s had a digital rev counter in varying colours of little lights. I wish I had a mk 1 actually
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes phil the foglamps were fitted as standard to all UK spec GTs, Bandit the instruments on the GT doesnt have the drum speedo and strip tacho but has analogue dials borrowed from a CX turbo, which is a shame as I also love the Mk1 dash, if the GT wasnt so rare I would have consider changing them over.

I have yellow foglamps but not headlamp bulbs but may get a set for shows etc.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Can the dials etc be swapped back to a mk1? Crikey I guess it originally had the beige interior like my dads sphinx gold RD? Come to think of it what happened to the original set-up?
1990 BX TGD White
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

BX Bandit wrote:Can the dials etc be swapped back to a mk1? Crikey I guess it originally had the beige interior like my dads sphinx gold RD? Come to think of it what happened to the original set-up?
The interior on the C268PWP is as it left the factory 24 years ago right down to the original 80s Sharp Radio Casette, all GT models had analogue dials (as did mk1 19TRS estates) and on the 1986MY (like my car) they had a black interior with the same pattern as a CX turbo, the earlier ones had a choice of grey, blue or brown very smilar to the Mk2 TRS models.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Why did Cit put analogue in the GT and TRS Estates yet drums in the rest?
24 yrs seems impossible for a BX. Seems like yesterday I was in my Dad's. My Morris is 49!
1990 BX TGD White
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

the earlier ones had a choice of grey, blue or brown very smilar to the Mk2 TRS models.
- not sure how it affects the colour but the GT had the tweed upholstery as standard initially - this was a cost option for the TRS and presumably the TRD (DTR)

And I'd like to find a complete tweed interior for a Mk1 BX btw..
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Aerodynamica wrote:
the earlier ones had a choice of grey, blue or brown very smilar to the Mk2 TRS models.
- not sure how it affects the colour but the GT had the tweed upholstery as standard initially - this was a cost option for the TRS and presumably the TRD (DTR)

And I'd like to find a complete tweed interior for a Mk1 BX btw..
Graham I know of a complete grey tweed interior from a MK1 16TRS going begging!.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

After all that they have just cancelled due to "technical problems", not happy as Its cocked my day off up. :roll: :evil:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sadly, I've had to cancel today due to a power cut at our graphic designer's building. On press day. Chaos isn't the word but at the moment I'm completely poweless!

Sorry for the last minute pull-out Tim but it's going to be quite a day as the paper is meant to be at the printers by 3pm...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

At least it wasn't a problem with the 'Star' not being able to show up! Did they explain or was it just the Photographer had a hangover?