Another low miler

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I think with the £2k scrappage scheme, there's going to be quite a few more cars like this not meeting their reserve :roll:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, got less after being relisted. So, was it offered to the last highest bidder I wonder. Or is it to be relisted - or indeed cubed?

We might never know.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

MULLEY wrote:I think with the £2k scrappage scheme, there's going to be quite a few more cars like this not meeting their reserve :roll:
Makes me laugh - as any car bought now will never be elligable for the crappage scheme, it finishes next March, so you wont have owned it for 12 months. I just like to email sellers and point this out and then tell them to chop it against a nice new V*x**ll Corsa if they want £2000 for it as otherwise its worth only a fraction of that. But then Im a miserable git.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yes of course, but the seller might be thinking "hang on I was going to wait a year or two before buying another new car but hey, might as well scrap this perfectly good old car that can only reach £700 on an auction site and get me £2k now..."
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Father ted said
<Makes me laugh - as any car bought now will never be elligable for the crappage scheme, it finishes next March, so you wont have owned it for 12 months.>
Agreed; although there is talk of them extending the scheme and some may choose to 'invest' in that talk?
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It kills me seeing all those perfectly good cars getting scrapped. When at my local Peugeot stealer I saw they were proudly displaying a 'about to die' immaculate H reg 405 Estate out front :evil:

Why can't the government engage the dealers to take on apprentices, refurb the cars and sell them?

Don't bother answering; it's because they're capitalist cunts who worship the God od consumption...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Jonathon

... couldn't have put it better myself.

According to the Open University the carbon emissions embodied in a cars manufacturing process are a huge part of its life cycle emissions when compared to just its lifetime running emissions. So by scrapping perfectly good cars (the frugal BX diesels for instance) in favour of modern vehicles with only moderately improved fuel consumption (but with their own embodied energy) - we ain't doin' nuffink for the planet.

Make do and mend!

Battery cars are a joke regarding carbon dioxide emissions. They just shift the primary energy source from relatively clean hydrocarbons to mainly coal - unless you happen to have a very reliable renewable energy source at hand. They do reduce atmospheric pollution in cities, but this is balanced by the emissions from coal-fired power stations which are NOT good in many ways. Don't forget all of the energy required to dispose of those very toxic batteries too.

Just another smoke screen
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Actually the 'environmental' justification for this scheme was quietly dropped a while ago by the powers that be. In fact it was to stimulate the economy and make sure those Nissan workers in Sunderland (for example) and the staff in showrooms weren't out of a job... But even in that respect it is doubtful as to its real positive effect as much of the 'profits' from such an exercise go overseas anyway.... :roll:
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I wonder how many 'scrapped' cars will reappear on ebay with documents missing? Scrap dealers aren't known for ignoring a cash-making opportunity.

I've seen a couple of cars on ebay recently that looked from their photos to be at a scrap yard.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Weve sold quite a few cars and taken in the scrappage part exchanges which get collected by a breakers yard, a certificate or destruction is issued with 48 hours and the log books are retained by the dealer (us) for 7 years. So in theory they cant return to the road, which is a shame as some of the cars Ive taken in are far from worn out.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

What is this certificate of destruction bollocks anyway? Its not obligatory, and seems rather like a good excuse for scrapyards to give you less for your (truly knackered) old car. What is the point? The DVLA give you a letter to confirm when you tell them that you've either scrapped the the car or passed it to someone else to do same...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

jonathan_dyane wrote:What is this certificate of destruction bollocks anyway? Its not obligatory, and seems rather like a good excuse for scrapyards to give you less for your (truly knackered) old car. What is the point? The DVLA give you a letter to confirm when you tell them that you've either scrapped the the car or passed it to someone else to do same...
Certificate of destruction is excatly what is says Jonathan, to prove (apparently) the car has been destroyed and is no longer. We have to have that before the government release their part of the £2000 scrappage allowance. If we dont get one were £2000 out of pocket!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

So what's to stop the dealer selling the car to someone for £1200 before the destruction order is put through...

Surely a dealer stands to make more by selling the 'doomed' car for more than a grand?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Roverman wrote:Certificate of destruction is excatly what is says Jonathan, to prove (apparently) the car has been destroyed and is no longer. We have to have that before the government release their part of the £2000 scrappage allowance. If we dont get one were £2000 out of pocket!
I understand it's purpose in that context, but the certificate of destruction predates the scrappage scheme. When I was scrapping my Xantia last month I called in at a couple of yards to get the best price, and they were giving it the 'Oh yeah, but we give you this lovely certificate, without which the DVLA will come for you in the middle of the night and cut your balls off' whereas the scrap metal place who I went to who were paying the best price just stamped my log book with their stamp, and wrote 'scrapped' on it, I then signed it and sent it back to the DVLA, and have since recieved a nice letter saying that I am no longer responsible for the vehicle. It would seem in this particular context the certificate of crappage is fairly superfluous...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Matt H wrote:So what's to stop the dealer selling the car to someone for £1200 before the destruction order is put through...

Surely a dealer stands to make more by selling the 'doomed' car for more than a grand?
Not really Matt no, because alot of the scrappage cars we take in are shagged, and worth £100-200 tops. There are certain proceedures that have to be adhered too for you to get your £1000 government grant towards it and once the car has been registered to be destroyed its future is sealed.

Yes if the car thats coming in is worth £1000+ then its worth looking at a "normal" deal and making up the difference back up to the full £2000 out of your profit margin, but on the small cars which is what the majority of the scrappage deals are againt there isnt enough money to do it that way.