love to have a citroen bx 4x4

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Whilst it is true a diesel option was never available in the UK. N/A diesel options were available in France, also the Estate version was available in Norway with the fuel injected engine option.

Further more a Turbo deisel version was made as a one off special which featured in the CCC magazine some years ago, though I would be doubtful if the transfer box splines lasted very long.

PM me if your interested in a BX 4 x4 (estate or hatchback) as I know somone who has a few, but they would require some work before they could be returned to the road.
Pug405BX

Post by Pug405BX »

There seems to be a general lack of understanding of the purpose of driving all four wheels on a vehicle.A front wheel drive car will perform well in icy or slippery conditions because it has greater weight on its driving wheels giving greater traction.This was the reason for Mini (the REAL one) being an excellent rally car when first introduced. The steerable front wheels enable a driver to correct any slip or skid WITHIN LIMITS. Permanent four wheel drive is useful if A LOT of power is to be applied to the road wheels.Put simply if an average car puts 100hp into a pair of front wheels the tyres are readily able to put the power into moving the car without wheel slip (Boy Racer Syndrome)Uprate engine power to 200hp and wheelslip would be difficult to prevent.Split power four ways and we are back to no wheelslip but have a car putting more power into the road.Having driven Land Rover and other 4x4 vehicles in icy conditions as well as (yes) Austin 1300 and Minis I agree I prefer the front wheel drive! The 4x4 BX was very much a marketing ploy by Citroen as other manufacturers like Audi introduced their bigger and more expensive models.like most other marketing attempts we all know the product didn't meet the hype. As a novelty it may be worth having as an example, as a workhorse anyone is likely to end up throwing telephone number money at one.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

BX 4x4 diesel estate was available in the UK as best i know, think i have the magazine kicking about.

It is interesting to see how the media has warped peoples minds about 4 wheel drive, its clear that most people writting within this thread equate 4x4 with off roading, they are not the same. The all wheel drive BX is a road car, it can not magically go places that a regular BX can not, if you get stuck with 2 wheel drive BX you'll get stuck with a 4 wheel drive off road. The 4 wheel drive is heavier and has no greater or lesser articulation than a 2wheel drive, if your going to use the arguement that the rear wheels will push you out when the fronts get stuck then you've probably only been off roading in 4x4 off roaders! Especially with road tyres. Infact it is a myth that 4wheel drive will give you any better or worse traction on ice and snow, its the tyre choice that makes the impact.

A '4x4' BX is a road car, they are good because you get a bit more control over what the rear end does, and you can generate a lot more dust on country/dusty/dirt roads. I find i have more confidence in a BX 4x4 when travelling in the twisties at speed, but peobably overall less than the 16v which is a little more forgiving as it has so much less tail weight.

I guess this is a personal view, but i've spent a lot of time on farms and driving off road in landies and tractors and i'm incredibly proficient at getting them stuck, even a modern 4 wheel drive tractor with magic (or not) traction control. I also test drive incredibly high powered vehicles on ice and snow tracks in Canada, so have some experience there. My view is simply that the 4x4 is a nice comfortable toy, but if you want to off road in a BX then a 14tge with decent mud terrain front tyres will get you a lot further than a 4x4. Or if you want to wade, get a 19rd with suitable tyres!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

No diesel 4x4 BXs were ever imported into the UK by citroen but Im sure some must have been. If they had strengthened the oily bits and attached it to the TD engine it would have been a great piece of kit, especially in estate form.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Never knew they even did a n/a 4x4, it must have been total crap with that lack of power, extra weight & the power sapping 4x4 system, no wonder they must all be dead.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Re:

Post by assembled »

Kevin B wrote:Further more a Turbo deisel version was made as a one off special which featured in the CCC magazine some years ago, though I would be doubtful if the transfer box splines lasted very long..
I wonder whether it wound be possible to see some pictures or the article.
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: love to have a citroen bx 4x4

Post by docchevron »

I'm pretty sure I had a brouchure that listed a diesel estate 4x4 in this country
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Still think 16Vx4 is the way to go in hatch form.

The only real benefit of the 4x4 is roadholding and that's not going to be utilised with an oil burner in there.

Anyone know what the f/r split value is on the system?

Didn't early MI16x4's have a cable operated diff instead of a TorSen? If you could lay your hands on one of those and a BX GTi4x4 you could have a viable project on your hands.

I don't think i've heard of the spline-wear issue on the Pugs, if that'sthe case, what was the difference? There's still a fair amount of MI-4x4's about...

As a footnote, there's only roughly 30 BX 4x4's of any guise left!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

JayW wrote:Anyone know what the f/r split value is on the system?
53/47 open differential, 50/50 closed if I get the French manual right.
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm guessing the front to rear difference when open is down to the extra transmission losses in the rear drivetrain biasing it to the front slightly.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

JayW wrote:Still think 16Vx4 is the way to go in hatch form.
I don't. It's not exactly a grunty engine, and as demonstrated in the Mi16x4 the system rinses all the power out of the engine. You end up screaming around not going anywhere.

4wd cars need a turbo lump IMO. But BXs don't need 4wd, which is the most crucial element for me :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Kitch wrote: But BXs don't need 4wd
Try going 140mph sideways in a 2WD BX, then tell me they don't need 4WD.

Though in defense of the BX, i blame the lardy passenger!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:

I had mine up to 143mph once (hit the limiter in 5th) but alas did not go sideways so am not qualified to comment :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Vanny wrote:

I blame the drivers inexperience of lightweight FWD's on track!

Yes, 4wd will drop power but what you gain in traction & cornering ability cancels the losses out.

The BX may be fun on the road but in standard form isn't that fast on track.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
flub1jag

Post by flub1jag »

drive is great had one for 20 years just about to get it back on the road been in a garage for 10 years . hold the road like glue