Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think I do as it happens... ;)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sorry to hear about the rampant rot :cry:

There's a place down here that would be willing to make up and weld in the sections needed, but realistically it would end up costing more than the price of a really nice example. Unless you're determined to keep Green Tiger going, then unfortunately the sensible thing is to offload it and find a better one.

Any interest in the Mk1 yet?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

citsncycles wrote: There's a place down here that would be willing to make up and weld in the sections needed, but realistically it would end up costing more than the price of a really nice example. Unless you're determined to keep Green Tiger going, then unfortunately the sensible thing is to offload it and find a better one.
Well, I've never had a problem with paying more than I paid for it to keep this car going. It only cost me £266 to buy three years ago!
citsncycles wrote: Any interest in the Mk1 yet?
Yes. You! In fact, you buying the Mk1 means that I may well be able to give the Mk2 the love it clearly needs. The more I drive it, the more I want to save it. I'm going to nip down to my tame welding chap this week. He's the one who managed to sort out the Mk1's busted tailgate hinge, and patched up the nearside rear wing. It's a bit messy, but it's solid - that's what I want. If I wanted a proper, professional job, then as you say, it'd cost many times what the car is worth. He's quite flexible this chap though - he is willing to lower his standards to suit my budget! I'm hoping I can get it much-improved for about £500.

Needs a cambelt/water pump too (pump wasn't changed at last belt change and still seems ok, but better to swap it) but that isn't costly and I can do the work myself. There might be life in the old tiger yet...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Needs a cambelt/water pump too (pump wasn't changed at last belt change and still seems ok, but better to swap it) but that isn't costly and I can do the work myself. There might be life in the old tiger yet...
As per yesterday, the Green Tiger is a BX Club legend, and it would be great if you could save it! even if it means parking it up for a bit and doing the work when funds allow.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

^That. It is very cool driving behind it and seeing people pointing (and not *always* laughing!)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

..that_ too :D

The main reason I didn't buy when you suggested having both estates and using Green Tiger to fix Timex was that I knew I'd end up trying (and probably failing) to save both :roll:

Hopefully your tame welder doesn't run away screaming or give you a telephone No. quote [-o<
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, I'm considering flogging the Maverick to free up funds. Not getting much enjoyment out of it and if I can get the BX welded up, I'll be able to tow with it! (which is the second reason for having the Maverick - we have a trailer but the BX is too soft around the towbar mounts...)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

You could always stick a hitch on the Bluebird - it'll be no more expensive on fuel than the Maverick!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

So, let's have a look at the rotten bits.

Those who've seen it know just how rotten the rear wing is. See through!

The whole wing is pretty much shot.

Underneath, the offside part of the rear crossmember is entirely rotten. This is all very soft indeed and is liable to fall off I reckon!

The nearside isn't too bad. This is more solid than it looks...

...though this corner is pretty much missing.

The boot floor is nowhere near as bad as I thought though.

Elsewhere is pretty tidy. I've painted over this seam but it's solid.

This is a bit crustier but ok - painted again.

This looks bad, but is actually entirely solid. I sprayed Bilt Hamber anti-corrosion wax down the inside of the A post and sprayed a bit over the seam on the outside, so that's wax, not rot. Seems to have worked nicely as I did this back in early 2010.

Seams are getting a bit iffy around the inner wings, but this can all wait for another time. It's not bad at all.

So, having decided that she'll be saved, I set about curing the intermittent PAS today. It had a hydraflush about 40k miles ago followed by new LHM but hadn't had any attention since other than a quick clean of the filters. So, in a repeat of what we did with Sandre's car at the weekend, I drained the LHM, cleaned the filters (not too bad) and reservoir (absolutely filthy) and bunged in fresh LHM. Car took AGES to come back up again, even after I primed the pump feed pipe. After about quarter of an hour, it eventually rose up, slowly, but when I dropped it again, it took ages to come up again. It was fine after that - tugging on the steering wheel did seem to help coax it into life.

On the test drive, the steering felt much, much better but the ride was a bit bumpy. Then I realised I'd left it in intermediate... It's fine now!

I'll nip down to see my tame welder at some point, as this back-end rot needs sorting sooner rather than later. I'll pull the tow bar off and clean it up as that's covered in surface rust too. It was originally powder coated, but that's all cracked and let moisture in.

The next mechanical priority is cambelt and water pump (plus replacing the thermostat gasket - anyone got a spare?) and maybe the cam cover gasket to cure the minor oil leak.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Its not as bad as I had envisaged Ian, at least the rear end is fairly easy to get at and is not any weird shapes, the inner wings and A posts looks good!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Indeed. The more I drive around in this car, the more I realise it'd be an utter mistake to bin it. I'll get her welded up and who knows - I might even fit all of the wheel trims again one day! (though I'll need a replacement - one is missing).
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Indeed. The more I drive around in this car, the more I realise it'd be an utter mistake to bin it. I'll get her welded up and who knows - I might even fit all of the wheel trims again one day! (though I'll need a replacement - one is missing).

Go steady, you will be asking me to help you clean it next.....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Tim Leech wrote:Go steady, you will be asking me to help you clean it next.....
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Looking at those pics of the rear cross member and the bumper brackets, I wonder it it's been shunted at some point - it may explain the torn brackets, and it may have opened up the seams and let the moisture in. It looks a nice uniform section though, if it were me, I'd consider cutting the whole thing off the bottom of the boot floor and folding up a complete box section to weld in!

B posts aren't too difficult either - I've done one side on the GS. If in doubt, brace the door gaps and there shouldn't be a problem. Perfectly saveable car :D
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, I've booked her in for arse-welding in a couple of week's time. To save costs, I'm going to dismantle the rear end at the bodyshop. I'd appreciate any tips on rear bumper removal! Before then, I'm planning to remove the towbar (may ask my trusty garage if I can borrow their ramp for this as the bolts are sure to be seized. They'll be getting a good coat of penetrating oil!) and will probably strip out the load bay plastics too.

She's responded very well to fresh LHM. Drives beautifully again.