Considering a BX - What are they like?

Anything about BXs
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

Tourist wrote:You're 18 and you can get insured on a 16v? How the hell does that work, especially for someone who lives in London.
I dare say it might be a cock up in my insurance company's software, as they refuse to quote for 8V GTi cars, but will insure me on everything else in the BX range, including 16v GTis and 4x4 16v GTis (how I'd love to own one of those!)

They've quoted me decently on all sorts of interesting metal that they probably shouldn't have - £50ish on top of my 205 premium a year would net me a 2.5 Shogun 4x4, or 2.5 Subaru legacy. £70 more and I can have a 205 1.6 GTi, and £200 more a year I can have a 1.8 MK2 Golf GTi. As you can probably tell, I'm one of those saddos who try to get a quote on just about every possible car in my price range/fits within my criteria of being fun & more comfortable than a 205! :lol:

I was insured for a few weeks on a BMW (albeit it an old 316I) for a few weeks for not much more than the XS so it's not a matter of them just giving me decent quotes and refusing to insure me when I try and change the policy... Then the BMW broke (German reliability eh? :roll:) and I had to pay annoyingly enough had to pay a £30 premium on top of the BMW for my humble XS

I wasn't expecting a BX to be lighter than a 205, but I was expecting a much larger weight plenty. Considering the suspension setup and the fact that I'd consider it as a family sized car, I was expecting 1300KG+, so a figure of 1060KG is extremely surprising.

More questions I'm afraid:

Judging by some of the earlier posts, I'm best off sticking with the standard alloy wheels for the sake of the brakes? Not that I was considering putting on heavy blinging Halfords wheels on, in fact, I wanted a set of white Steel Wheels 8)

What size tyres do the standard alloy wheels run?

What are the 16v engine's manors like around town? I regularly hear about how much performance these engines have, but rarely is it mentioned how they deal with cold starts, very short journeys (I only work 5 or so miles away) and fuel economy?

Parts availability? Is it still a matter of getting most of the stuff I need off of the shelf at my local GSF?

This new pipe kit that was mentioned earlier, how much is it likely to set me back? Easily enough done on the roadside, or should I get it in at work and do it on a proper 2 poster ramp?

Does anybody know if CHF11s hydraulic fluid is compatible with the Citreon suspension system?

Thanks for the help guys!
Last edited by Joshy on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

Joshy wrote:What are the MI16's manors like around town?
have You considered 405 MI16 instead of BX? Would be probably cheaper to maintain (I'm not talking about insurance, because in our country this works a bit different), maybe a bit more boring though :wink:
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

akarso wrote:
Joshy wrote:What are the MI16's manors like around town?
have You considered 405 MI16 instead of BX? Would be probably cheaper to maintain (I'm not talking about insurance, because in our country this works a bit different), maybe a bit more boring though :wink:
I beg your pardon - I thought 'MI16' was a reference to the the 16v Engine, not just the 405 :oops:.

Post editied! :)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's quite a docile engine - it goes nuts at 4000rpm but it's still nice around town.

In mixed driving, mine used to deliver 30mpg. They don't really like short journeys in my experience - but that's just an excuse to take a detour and enjoy the journey home!
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

Joshy wrote: I beg your pardon - I thought 'MI16' was a reference to the the 16v Engine, not just the 405 :oops:.

Post editied! :)
ok, but question is still valid :wink:

these are very similar models, probably 405 is a bit heavier, but this is the same platform, engine (better soundproofed in peugeot), interior is different but trim level similar, suspension is pretty much the same, except 405 is sprung conventionally, so risk of LHM leaks is non existent. Only difference that BX is hatchback and 405 sedan (I don't know if there were any estate MI16's). And, of course hydropneumatic suspension, which may be more prone to failure after 15 years of use, and more costly to maintain in the long run. Have You ever tried to repair leaking octopus in a BX? :roll:

In 405 You have handbrake at the rear wheels, conventional steering assistance, brakes which don't stop working after malfunction in suspension system.

I don't want to discourage You, but BX is pretty much different kind of beast, simple in servicing compared to, say, XM or CX, but nonetheless...
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Alan Hitchcock

Post by Alan Hitchcock »

The BX Gti will be a collectable car of probobly more interest than the Pug in time. They will be rarer as most will have been broken or worn out. It marks the end of real Citroens, offers simple technology you can service which was pretty much sorted after a long production run but in a package that is not a standard Gti class type car. The computer is still simple and a tool not a management system that takes over the car. In otherwords the best of Citroen and Pug rather than the worst which they managed later. After this time are there really any cars that differ much from each other, yawn, Bagpuss time. So for longterm ownership I think it is as safe as house if you get a good one. It is in a class pretty much of its own.
For out and out performance I am less sure though clearly the insurance situation makes it very attractive. I think the key issue is to be prepared to get under the car and work on it as it is not idiot proof and paying for labour will eat into the savings. My feeling is poor servicing and workmanship is the biggest enemy of these cars. I am sure you would be happy to work on a Pug. The BX suspension looks complicated but really if you have access to a car lift then it is not to bad and no torsion bars and stuff needing special tools. The ride is super on our potholed roads, the ladies prefer it for sure.
For track days it is hard to beat a Matra Murena converted to run the BX engine. Costeth not alot and bloweth away many machines that runeth into values of working people's houses. I have been in one, a pocket rocket. Then again I have been in a V6 one, faster than I would ever go. Again lady friendly being three seater so she can chose how familiar she wants to be and thus saves one round in the special friend stakes. Pity they are all left hand drive or I would still have one. I will probobly take on a Gti once the decks have cleared a bit here as I think it is a class act in what ended up as a great range of cars.
BX TZD turbo Saloon and Estate
Saab Bullnose 96
Borgward Isobella Van
Messerschmitts
Goggomobil Darts
Trials car
Tatra 603
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Hey Joshy just out of interest what sort of prices are you being quoted? I'm 18 too so it would be nice to know who these quotes are with aswell although I've got pretty much all the quotes I can, I wouldn't call them cheap?

Sort-of-related pm sent.
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

we came by ours as we were desperate for a car, christmas eve 2003 had a few 1000miles to do over christams the wife had just written the vauxhall off, a mate was selling his BX. First i hated it! now i'm quite fond of the old girl (car that is - and the wife!) The only thing thats given me the hump is the hydraulics, i had leaks and popping pipes, the leaks were sorted with 2 new pipes, and a level adjusting thing at the rear, the popping pipes were sorted with all new spheres. I had to replace the hyrdraulic pump as that was leaking too. Mines a 1.9Diesel on 140,000 miles. Just had to do the timing belt and pulleys - oh what a joyfull day that was, at the moment its a broken clutch cable thats giving me greif.

The only thing that bugs me about the whole car is there is nowhere for me to put my wild bean cafe coffee
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

Tourist wrote:Hey Joshy just out of interest what sort of prices are you being quoted? I'm 18 too so it would be nice to know who these quotes are with aswell although I've got pretty much all the quotes I can, I wouldn't call them cheap?

Sort-of-related pm sent.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to hold out a bit for a 16v :twisted:

I'm with Quinn Direct. I've found them brilliant price wise, but I know others have gotten some odd quotes from them. A work friend just a few months younger than I am pays near on twice the amount I'm being quoted on a BX GTi for his modern 1.4 Golf!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Joshy wrote:
Tourist wrote:Hey Joshy just out of interest what sort of prices are you being quoted? I'm 18 too so it would be nice to know who these quotes are with aswell although I've got pretty much all the quotes I can, I wouldn't call them cheap?

Sort-of-related pm sent.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to hold out a bit for a 16v :twisted:
You knows it makes sense :wink:

(he tried to sell you a diseasle didn't he? :lol: )
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

Kitch, how did you know? :lol:

I'm rather tempted by this beast:

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11249

Seems to be just want I'm after - Tons of service history, been owned by club members that know their stuff (which hopefully means it hasn't been ragged to death!) and an otherwise great car that requires a bit of TLC.

I am ever so slightly worried about the mileage on the engine side of things. I know it has had a reconned Head, but I'm slightly worried that 200k+ might be a few miles too far, even with an extensive service history? I have been toying with the idea of buying an engine and doing a complete strip down and rebuild of some sorts, but I'd rather not resort to that if I could help it. I just want something that is reliable first and foremost.

I'm just trying to weigh up the thought of a 200k car with a good amount of history aganist say for example, a car with slightly less mileage, but a lot less history. I guess with a car like a 16v BX, a LOT have been through the hands of boyracers?

Also, am I right in thinking that there might be some bottom end damage from when the cambelt went, I don't suppose the pistons liked having contact with the vavles!? :D

Thanks again

Josh
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Josh,

I've seen the car at a couple of events, and in actual fact the seller lives about 5-10 miles down the road from me. I'd be happy to look over it if you were interested before commiting to a long journey. On the strength of what I've seen of it, it certainly looks ok.

Don't worry about the mileage. A full rebuild will have cover any wear and tear in the engine, and the parts are strong...a snapped belt would have 99% of the time only damaged parts in the head. Bent valves and sometimes worn guides are usually the only result of a snapped belt on these engines.
I rebuilt my own bottom end after an oil surge problem. Piston rings and bearings easily available, re-building it wasn't all that tricky. I've got some 80k pistons here as I've got a bottom end I'm stripping to make a coffee table with! You're welcome to those if all goes through.

Only bug bear of the high mileage is wear and tear on the drivetrain and chassis. Things like gear linkages might be sloppier, more wear on struts etc, but this is only nit-picking as any of this could have been changed over the years. And even a 90k valver could feel worn...the newest one will be 16 years old!

I'd lose the tailblazer if it still has it, as it ruins the rear of the car. And the red stripe. Otherwise she looks a good'un. As I said mate, pm me if you need it looking over.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

/\What he said really. I wouldn't be as worried about mileage (if I was buying it as a long term keeper) but I'd concentrate on the condition. The type of miles, driver and the maintenance make so much difference. It's got to be better to go for a high mileage vehicle that's had a lot of work done, than a lower mileage one that's got the work coming up!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

Considering a BX. What are they like?

Post by Brian King »

My valver came with front fog lights that disintegrated into white powder when I removed them. I never bothered to replace them as I fitted Morettes, and simply left the holes to cool the brakes. I notice Ferraris have copied me since in the gaping hole department.