Wheely good question

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I will have a spare set of 4 wider steels (no tyres sorry) in the next month or so when I get the Alloys fitted to the TRS, you are welcome to them Ian. They came off a 306.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

citronut wrote:if your suspesion is not quite working as it should
Hmmm, what do you think Ian? Is your suspension in top notch condition? :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Um, no comment... (creak, groan...)

It may need spheres and the rear suspension arm bearings are shot, but I'm not sure either of these would cause it to corner like the road has been greased. (well, it's not that bad, but not confidence inspiring on smooth, wet tarmac).

Tim - may very well be interested in the wheels. Cheers.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I agree Ian, I would be sure that it's the tyres that are letting you down. When I bought the wheels for mine, even thought they were (briefly!) shod with some no-name rubber, I was pleased with the improvement in cornering speeds. I would have thought your rear arm bearings may have caused you a bit of 'stepping out' if you hit a bumpy section mid corner, but bizarrely they didn't feel as bad as they looked (from the comedy camber) when I was a passenger.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Mike E (uk) wrote:Any new tyres will be more grippy then worn out items of course
Only in the wet. A tyre with 1.0mm of tread left on it will actually handle better in the dry than a brand new one, as the tread blocks are more stable. Only when the road is wet will the tyre with decent tread depth be an advantage.
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I can recommend Pirelli P6000's. They're not the most long lived tyre (20,000 miles out of my last set) but i got 4 from Black Circles for 120quid.

They were impressive enough driving through the Pyrenese earlier this year (had some fun on that trip) :lol:
Over and out from me
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Mike E (uk) wrote:Any new tyres will be more grippy then worn out items of course
Only in the wet. A tyre with 1.0mm of tread left on it will actually handle better in the dry than a brand new one, as the tread blocks are more stable. Only when the road is wet will the tyre with decent tread depth be an advantage.
This is truth.

It's also the case that worn tyres have less rolling resistance than new, hence save some fuel.
OK, it's marginal, but enough to make the bus company switch back to using part worn tyres on the rear, since across group they reckon it'll save one half million pounds a year in fuel!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Anyone got any experience of Avons? I had a Pug 306 DT a few years ago. It was shod with Goodyears and would wheelspin in third in the wet. Ditched 'em for a pair of Avons and the change was remarkable. Absolutely planted.
douglas851
Confirmed BX'er

Post by douglas851 »

I have Avon ZV3 on my 16v. Brilliant tyre, wet or dry, no idea of wear rate as they have only been on for a few hundred miles.

Douglas.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Ian_Fearn wrote:I can recommend Pirelli P6000's.
I can't, they are horrendous on the missus Corsa (185/50 r15 i think), anything but dry dry roads and they start squirming, absolutley no traction what so ever in snow/ice. Great for hand brake turns though.

Same car now has Michelin Energy 2 all round, ride is the same, grip is better in the damp, road noise like for like is increased. But they are nitrogen filled which makes them much better at everything.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I rate Avons, never used them myself, but my mates ZX Volcane was shod with Avon Z (er something or other, could have been ZV's..) and they gripped very well in the dry, and almost as well in the wet. Wear rate was higher than Uniroyals though..

Never understood why anyone uses Pirelli's TBH.
They aint all that cheap for what is little more than a Billy Budget.
K's 205 came equipped with Pirelli's. They were utter shite, P6000's.

Her old XR2 had Pirelli's aswell, I changed them all before I'd let her drive it. Less grip than a Mr. Sheen polished wood veneer table covered in KY jelly..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Vanny wrote:
Ian_Fearn wrote:I can recommend Pirelli P6000's.
I can't, they are horrendous on the missus Corsa (185/50 r15 i think), anything but dry dry roads and they start squirming, absolutley no traction what so ever in snow/ice. Great for hand brake turns though.

Same car now has Michelin Energy 2 all round, ride is the same, grip is better in the damp, road noise like for like is increased. But they are nitrogen filled which makes them much better at everything.
I clearly dont drive it hard enough :D

My missus BX has Mich Energy's (175's i think) and they're not a patch on the 185 P6000's on mine.
Over and out from me
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

docchevron1472 wrote:Less grip than a Mr. Sheen polished wood veneer table covered in KY jelly..
:shock: One for the 'use again' notebook methinks. Image

FWIW (and not wishing to teach any grannies to fellate ouefs), could it be that the tyres Dollywobbler has fitted are maybe getting on a bit?

The reason I ask this, is that tyres tend to lose a whole shedload of their designed-in properties with age - my French BX Mk1 was owned by an old gent who'd done about 700 km a year in it for for the preceding 8 years - with the result that the Michelin tyres fitted were virtually new. However, the damned things were rock hard and slid like turds in treacle whenever it rained (a lot near Versailles). In short, they'd age hardened and lost all their grip.

After several heart-stopping episodes on wet bends, when the effing things broke away at about 50kph and the bloody car suddenly developed all the handling characteristics of a buggered surfboard, I got the hint and ditched 'em (they were in lovely nick too :cry: ) and fitted new ones - prob solved.

I ran Michelin Energys on my TZD and the Athena has 'em on the front - and they seem fine, at least for the geriatric speeds I drive at, if a bit rumbly.

HTH :?
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Bob, you've hit the nail on the head, the age of tyres (even if they visually look ok) does have an affect on how they perform. Caravan owners are well known for changing their tyres on their caravans even if the tyres have done sod all mileage & the condition looks like new. When it comes to car tyres, no ones seems to be of the same opinion :?:

Rubber & its various compounds degrade. I personally will not use tyres that are more than 5 years old, regardless of condition & tread depth, i value my life a lot more than a few quid saved by not changing my tyres.

There was a previous thread not that long about about tyres which covered various aspects of degradation/performance etc...may well be worth having a search for it to avoid covering old ground.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I did think about this but while the old boy who previously owned it certainly wasn't going crazy with the mileage, the history seemed to suggest that it had still been clocking up some miles. In fact, I've a feeling that at least one pair of tyres was not that old at all. Maybe I need to investigate further - might be worth lobbing the freshest looking pair on the front if they're not there already - they're all the same make.