BX19 TRS for free, MOT failure (Oxford)

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If anyone does and wants a chip in for the spares let me know
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tim, suggest you PM adamskibx as this car would be more use to him than anyone else on this forum I suspect.
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

OK kewl. Will do soon
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

AHA- Yes this could definately be useful to me:-) Ill have to find out where that oil leak is coming from though if im going to go ahead with it. Ill e-mail the guy now. If I go ahead with it, ill let people know so I can do some spares dropping off on the way back here:-) Mind you he says he wants it to go to a good home- well I suppose its a home that cares about a rare GT but im not sure if it will be good to this car:-) Ill have a word anyway.

Cheers, Adam
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Adamski
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Right I have had a reply by the owner via e mail. He says the oil leak is not drastic in that it looses a lot or has pools of oil under the car, and that the MOT station said he would need to steam clean the engine in order to track it down- It would be nice if it was something simple like a camshaft cover gasket or something but you never know it could be serious. Im tempted to go and look at it before Christmas. If people let me know exactly which bits they may be interested in then I can assess the condition of relevent bits to sway my decision either way if im uncertain regarding the engine usability. He says the gearbox is a bit dodgy as he had it replace a few years ago and they didnt do a very good job-Most likely to be something positioned incorrectly regarding the linkages to the gearstick I would have thought, not that it matters much as it will be the same gearbox as on my car. I am based in Malvern, Worcestershire at the moment, as is the GT, and the TRS is in Oxfordshire. My plan would be to take it straight here unless someone would like to chip in for transport costs and have me divert on the way back. However, once it is here, I can take whatever bits off easily, and then I am returning to Loughborough, Leicestershire after Christmas and so could take parts up that way.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Im 10 miles from loughborough matey so would be ideal!
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

Post by spigven »

Anyone know what colour exterior/interior this car is ?
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I am told that its a sort of dark grey, and that the interior is light grey, so i'd imagine its that material thats really comfortable, yet somehow harsh to the touch. I forgot to ask about the rear spoiler but I suppose it will have the rubber type being a TRS of that age.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Well if it has put my name on it adamski lol, Have got hold of a deflector now, and mats so just need that and mudflaps and Im sorted!

Merry B-Xmas
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Im going to try and arrange collection of this car on Friday the 30th. Ill let you know what spoiler its got when ive got it Tim and you can have it if its what you want.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks matey!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I have now collected the BX TRS 1.9 from Oxford. The engine seems good overal but I think the carb or ignition are slightly dodgy. Just seems to sputter or hesitate slightly when you floor it in a high gear, before the power surges in after a second or so. Just like when a car engine hasnt warmed up and it needs some choke I suppose. Tim, you can have the spoiler as it is the one you are looking for. Its breaking up a bit due to old rubber but thats only evident when you flex it- In other words it holds itself in shape normally and you wouldnt notice. Mind you I havent seen it in the light yet- only just got home at 1.30 AM! The rest of the car looks good apart from poor paint on one front wing, and the steering is heavy compared to my last BX, despite having power steering. It apparently failed MOT on an oil leak (massive evidence of oil on underside of car, but no drips on driveway), and rear arm bearings, yet I cant see any wheel alignment abnormality and it was a very stable drive. It seems a shame to be breaking this BX as its getting a bit rare itself now, and ive grown to like it already. However, I think im still going to go ahead and do the engine swap to save the GT. The one thing that really shocked me was that when driving it back here, I noticed some extra heater system switches- It seems to have aircon :D I cant tell if it works yet as its so cold anyway at the moment but it did put a load on the engine and didnt make any nasty sounds, and the air did seem that little bit colder that the already ice cold winter air. Im wondering what i can do with this system.