CV BOOT STRETCHER

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

CV BOOT STRETCHER

Post by Tim Leech »

I need to replace the drivers CV Boot on the TZI, Ive bought a boot kit but I need a stretcher to get it over the hub removing the need to take the driveshaft off.

Any ideas where to get one and how much they are, work doesnt have one!

Ta.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I've got a chum who's a doctor. He says he'll lend you a speculum - as long as he can have it back by Monday. :lol:

You mean one of these?
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=379&item=4769

How about a disposable cone?
http://www.stretchyboot.com/
Last edited by Linegeist on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

:lol: I think you need help Mr Poltergeist!

Split the joint Tim, it's far easier in the long run and it'll be a good excuse to change the gear box oil.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Agreed, just do properly, it'll take you longer to b****er about with it than it would to do it right.

You can normally get away without dropping the gear oil if you take care and have a decent pair of vice grips. :)
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It's usually possible to change the driveshaft gaiter by simply breaking the bottom ball joint, cutting off the old gaiter then with the driveshaft held with mole grips behind something (like the drop link) separate the cv joint from the shaft with a couple of blows from a heavy hammer (preferably either a copper hammer or normal one with brass or similar drift). This saves undoing the big nut, and is usually the quickest and easiest way to proceed. As a bonus, the driveshaft should not leave the gearbox so no oil leakage.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Yeah those cones are wank. I'd definately remove the CV joint from the shaft, although if its a first time thing I'd personally remove the shaft complete first and use a workmate. Trying to do it all in situ is possible, but when you don't quite know what you're doing you're working against pre-load in the driveshaft, not knowing the most effective place to tap etc etc.

I've never managed to get the circlip back in with the CV joint either. Always breaks coming off and never goes back in. I just leave it out; it only stops the joint coming off the shaft when you split from the hub as far as I can see.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i agree with all above because if the old boot is split wide open there will be dirt and grit inside the CV joint, then by fitting a stretchy boot without removeing the joint from the shaft, you will trap all that crap inside, which will wear out the loint prematurly,

also if you leave the snap ring/circlip out the shaft will slide in and out of the splines which will wear them out

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks guys, RXBX is going to give me a hand with it today and do it by splitting the joint as mentioned.

Ta!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you just have to mind you dont hit the bearing retaining cadge as you can fracture it,

i always tilt the joint to one side as far as it will go and strick it on the top of one of the castleations if you know what i mean,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Job done, and no more squealing HP belt too as it was very loose.

Expensive day though as when I picked up a fecking parking ticket whilst locking the gate at work when I parked the car on the pavement for 10 minutes. :evil:
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Roverman wrote:Job done, and no more squealing HP belt too as it was very loose.

Expensive day though as when I picked up a fecking parking ticket whilst locking the gate at work when I parked the car on the pavement for 10 minutes. :evil:
Apeal it! You were conducting an activity that was providing security to your workplace and to provide that security you have to remove yourself from the vehicle thus leaving it unattended on the roadway while you locked the gates. Due to a possible obstruction to heavy traffic vehicles you positioned your car off the road to do so.

:wink:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Or dont break the law in the first place, better still have the company provide an area where you can stop while locking the gate.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Polite email sent, I wasnt parked on double yellow lines and there is no no parking signs, it was dark, town was close yet still he got me, swine!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

You did say you where parked on the pavement mind. Sounds like a local neighbour might be moaning resulting in the Ticket Nazi dropping by. Definately sounds appealable if the only crime was parking (partially?) on the pavement.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AFAIK parking on the pavement is illegal, end of?

Certainly it's the line the plod use round here, which I always find ironic since the road is narrow and whenever the mobile motorist rape camera van parks up, it always parks on the sodding pavement...

Still, one rule for them...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...