HP Pump

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I was just thinking - couldn't a Xantia pump be modified to fit a BX? I don't know how different the mountings, and more importantly the ratings of one would be, but maybe this is a possibility...
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

scarecrow wrote:Bob, I'm probably just stating the obvious here, but couldn't it be that the problem wasn't the pump after all, as you'd tried two recons?

Steve
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Nahhh. I was beginning to think that too. But (1) swapping my original pump back in instantly cures the fault(s) and (2) the recon pumps display different faults (one pump clatters like a bag of spanners and the steering's totally unpowered, the second has a pronounced 'tick' and the steering cuts in and out until 1500rpm)

Of course, I could just be a total numpty, with the mechnical abilities of a menopausal chimp on ecstasy and the IQ of an autistic turnip ............ :cry: :lol:
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

hi bob
my brother in law is coming over here on thursday for a family funeral he lives on anglsey i could send you a pump with him apart from the ones on the cars there must be half a dozen on the shelf :D
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

scarecrow wrote:I was just thinking - couldn't a Xantia pump be modified to fit a BX? I don't know how different the mountings, and more importantly the ratings of one would be, but maybe this is a possibility...
I have one from XM V6 in my car, but don't know how much effort was required to fit it - previous owner did it...
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Roverman wrote:Hi Richard

Does Malcolm lockwood still stock them do you know?

Thanks.

£1200! HAHAHAHAH!
I got a brand new pump for my BX last year from Mark Dunsmore at the Cit dealer near Lincoln (or some such) that had a list price of £12ty-million but he made it available for the same price as a recon one i.e. £150+ post.

I thought he had 2 of them and a brand new FDV too - there was rather a long list.

I should say that it didn't really improve the car much as I think the BX's steering woes occur as a result of worn pump AND out of kilter FDV and filters etc.

Still, worth a go tho
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

FWIW Mark doesn't work for Citroen anymore.

The Xantia pump may be an option, although 'anti sink' cars (approx '94 onwards) had a 6+2 pump, which did away with the FDV. Will work if you bin the FDV and repipe to suit, but car will take an age to rise, as only two pistons provide suspension pressure (part of the reason for anti-sink).
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I wonder if the guys at NT Shaws still have any of the bx parts?

Tim.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Brian wrote:
it seems that no one (Unless someone knows different) has dismantled a BX pump without damaging.
One person claims to have done it : the mad Frenchman :) . You apparently need to make a special extractor tool to get the pulley off.

The casing is not heat-shrunk, it is only held on tightly by an o-ring. Once the pulley is off, just grab the casting with the pipe orifices in a vice and whack the main axle and the casing comes off.

There are only two joints and a bearing to replace. The mad frenchman just flips over the worn valve discs. I suppose they could also be machined.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

cauchoiskev wrote:
Brian wrote:
it seems that no one (Unless someone knows different) has dismantled a BX pump without damaging.
One person claims to have done it : the mad Frenchman :) . You apparently need to make a special extractor tool to get the pulley off.

The casing is not heat-shrunk, it is only held on tightly by an o-ring. Once the pulley is off, just grab the casting with the pipe orifices in a vice and whack the main axle and the casing comes off.

There are only two joints and a bearing to replace. The mad frenchman just flips over the worn valve discs. I suppose they could also be machined.
That's pretty interesting! do you know how these disks wear? I thought they were thin disks - I'd be keen to learn of the wear properties. Also, surely the 'seat' in which each disk snaps back onto would also show some wear?

I was wondering also if there was a difference in the dismantling procedure between the green, steel-cased pump and the later, black plastic-cased item.

If anyone happens to know.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I suspect the dismantling procedure is the same, but in the plastic-bodied pump a rather higher chance of oh-fuck-broke...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Aerodynamica wrote: Also, surely the 'seat' in which each disk snaps back onto would also show some wear?
Yeah, that was my line of thought as well, but the mad Frenchman makes no mention of this. I think his main reason for opening the pump was to fix leaks rather than poor performance. Looking at the Citroën drawing, the seat seems strangely to be quite sharp, rather than a flat surface.
Aerodynamica wrote: I was wondering also if there was a difference in the dismantling procedure between the green, steel-cased pump and the later, black plastic-cased item.
As Jonathan dyane says, I would tend to avoid plastic-cased pumps for refurbishing purposes.

Looking at my old pump, this seems to be the groove which you have to grab to get the pulley off :

Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

The two recon pumps I've got here both have plastic end chambers, so presumably there's a way of reliably getting 'em off with out having an "Oh f**k-it! " moment.

I'm surprised the only thing keeping the pulley on the pump shaft is an interference fit ........ given the resistance to movement when the thing's at maxi chat. :shock: Is there no keyway?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I *think* my knackered pump has the metal body...
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

Pump recon

Post by citro-geoff »

Hi Tim,have you tried Chris Jacobs of ex CGS.I know he is still doing the pumps from home now,as I have had one done recently for a V6 Xantia,and he used to supply some of the traders when he had the garage and hydraulics repair business.Unfortunately he had to give it up as a business,but still dabbles a bit.If you want his number ring me on 07980 559814. At least his pumps work 100% when they are done!!
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

citro-geoff, how much Chris charge for a bx diesel pump?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.