Car and Classic - TXD Turbo

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Doc - I totally agree with you.

I will never understood why people are willing to lie, cheat and deceive when selling cars for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

I will never knowingly buy from a trader or from anyone under 30. Sorry guys - I don't want to deal with you!

My DIY fixing days are long gone now. I used to do all my own repairs (I had a dyane with knuckle imprints all down one wing which occurred whilst I was trying to change the brake pads :x ). I have since been diagnosed as allergic to hydrocarbons (!) - engine oil makes the skin come off of my hands... so I am utterly at the mercy of mechanics.

I wish I lived nearer to you as I'd be happy to pay yourself proper rates to work on my car.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

/\I agree with most of that - apart from the bit about the under 30s...

I'm only just over 30, and I didn't notice a sudden increase in honesty on my birthday. No offence taken BTW :)

I know traders have to make a living, and am sure there are many honest ones out there, but I too am naturally suspicious. A few months ago I looked at a Discovery sold by a garage round here. I rejected it for a number of reasons, one of them being that the alternator drivebelt was running out of line, and shredding itself. A guy I know has recently bought the same vehicle (without asking my advice...) and the garage has simply changed the belt, without any evidence of sorting out the cause of the shredding. Plus they have the routing of the belt wrong. :roll: And this is a professional garage! A DIY service history is fine for me when it comes to buying cars - at least you can assess the person who has worked on it!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

docchevron wrote: helping out for nowt, or a beer and a curry with good mates..

Probably my favourite past time, especially if I can fall into my tent afertwards and wake up on top of my sleeping bag! :o
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You should really camp over the next time we have a meet!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

quite so, it's a must, although ensure your life insurance is fully paid up before leaving home!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

mat_fenwick wrote:/\I agree with most of that - apart from the bit about the under 30s...

I'm only just over 30, and I didn't notice a sudden increase in honesty on my birthday. No offence taken BTW :)
That was probably some kind of Freudian slip on my part.

I was kind of alluding to the heavier right foot of our younger cousins and their lack of nous in knowing when maintenance is essential, not just an option!

It wasn't that long ago I was under 30, although it surprises me just how long ago it feels...

I don't think I could take offence to anything you say Mat, I just hope my clichéd ramblings don't offend people :wink:
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Shouldn't worry about offending people, I've been doing it for years..
I'm 30 now, and oddly enough, I was a very slow driver when I was a lad, got a fair bit faster, got caught (once) and now I'm fairly mellow again, although I've always done FAR more maintenance than was ever actually required... it's the way Dad taught me to be I think..
Oil changes every 3K, plugs every 3K, bottom end rebuild every 30K and so on...
I'd get bored if I just changed oil every 5K or whatever.. much more fun ripping the thing to bits!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I have to say, and I'm touching wood here (feels nice), I've never been caught speeding despite being a very rapid driver when I was younger. I'm too scared that I'd break the car these days :roll: I have to admit to still taking pleasure in embarrassing "Corsa drivers" whenever prudent to do so :wink: I also have a strange impulse which makes me feint pulling out on any passing Rollers I just like the look on their faces at the time :oops:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

scarecrow wrote:I was kind of alluding to the heavier right foot of our younger cousins and their lack of nous in knowing when maintenance is essential, not just an option!
Ahhh. I'd be equally reluctant to buy a car from someone who looked like they'd been thrashing it - you can usually tell...
Ironically I used to be absolutely anal (but not as bad as Doc!) about oil changes, getting worried if I went 50 miles over the interval. Now I'm not so worried so long as it's within a few hundred miles, but tends to be on the earlier side anyway.
I remember once being alongside a Clio 172 full of chavs and banging choons. Obviously the driver thought the tatty old diesel estate was an easy win at the traffic lights, but we were (amusingly for me!) pretty evenly matched!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I've been known to burn people off the lights in a bus..
Both David Rutherford and Ed4Ferrets have been dusted by me in a mighty Lance...

I couldn't complain about the speeding ticket.. since I've gotten away with more in the past!
39 in a 30 zone though was bollocks,oddly enough 2 other people on the same "speed awareness course" as me got caught by the same mobile talivan on the same day all within 2 hours of eachother, and even more oddly we were all doing EXACTLEY 39MPH...
Even though I know damn well I was doing 34mph.. ho hum.. some you win etc..