BX 19 TXD - Looks like being re-listed on EBay come the 12th

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I think CAT is refering to Category, you get varying degrees of write off; Category A,B, C, D etc. passing a VIC does not make the write off go away it just confirms that the car is now fit for the road again. Despite passing a VIC for reasons un-beknown to me many insurance companies simply won't entertain insuring the cars again and those that do want a higher premium.
I asked my brother who works for the Pru / Churchill about why they don't like re-insuring write offs and he seams to think they don't like to encourage the repair of vehicles they have paid out 'full Value' on and therefore should as far as they are concerned not be put back on the road. This doesn't stop some (not all) insurance companies selling the salvage on to firms who then resell them as damage repairables, however more and more companies now insist the vehicle identity plates and chassis no.s are now returned to them hoping the cars will only be recycled.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
GaianB

Now I understand!

Post by GaianB »

Thank you for explaining CAT. I can only say that I have had no problems getting insurance at any time.

Hasta la huego
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Now I understand!

Post by Tim Leech »

GaianB wrote:Thank you for explaining CAT. I can only say that I have had no problems getting insurance at any time.

Hasta la huego
You will only struggle on insurance if its cat A or B.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Roverman wrote:
GaianB wrote:Thank you for explaining CAT. I can only say that I have had no problems getting insurance at any time.

Hasta la huego
What a load of...

Not true, All write offs will incur increased premiums.

And, you will NEVER get insurance on Cat A or B, simply because Cat A vehicles MUST BE COMPLETELY DESTROYED, no parts may be used or sold. These include any car that involved a fatally injured passenger/driver.

Cat B will never return to the road either, but parts my be reused. The shell MUST be crushed.

Cat C, not economically repairable. VIC required for return to road.

Cat D, economically repairable, but insurer has decided against repairing. VIC not normally required.

Cat F, Fire damaged vehicles. Will be linked to a category above.
Last edited by JayW on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

JayW wrote: Cat F, Fire damaged vehicles. Will be linked to a category above.
I seem to remember that there is a particular nasty attached to this in that fire damaged rubber parts, 'O' rings etc can form Hydrofluoric acid on their surfaces. This is extremely hazardous if touched and gives long term problems, possibly terminal! :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

JayW wrote:
Roverman wrote:

Hasta la huego
What a load of...

Not true, All write offs will incur increased premiums.

And, you will NEVER get insurance on Cat A or B, simply because Cat A vehicles MUST BE COMPLETELY DESTROYED, no parts may be used or sold. These include any car that involved a fatally injured passenger/driver.

Cat B will never return to the road either, but parts my be reused. The shell MUST be crushed.

Cat C, not economically repairable. VIC required for return to road.

Cat D, economically repairable, but insured has decided against repairing. VIC not normally required.

Cat F, Fire damaged vehicles. Will be linked to a category above.
Take a breath mate! cat a and b are scrap, weve just repaired my mums Rover 25 after it was cat C'eed when they parked it in the back of some Ford. Apyout after some argy bargy was £2300, but the repairs quote was £4500! I bought the salvage for £200 which was driveable if a bit battered, Fixed it at work for £1500 using a fine but used bonnet and bumper and it looks as good as new. we will have to do a VIC check if we sell it, but passed its MOT no problem.

They have continued with the same broker, but have protected no claims so hasnt made any different to the premium at all. But if it gets bumped again and written off they will probably get about £5 for it! :lol:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Surely you'd need to VIC test it before it returned to the road, not when you sell it?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron wrote:Surely you'd need to VIC test it before it returned to the road, not when you sell it?
That's probably right but if he'd managed to hang on to the V5 and remembers without official reminders to re-tax (at the Post-Office) when due then I guess it slips through the cracks.

However with the computer systems of today it now may flag up and it would probably not be easy to SORN it either if needed.
Directgov wrote:Insurers should notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of all cars ‘written off’ within salvage categories A, B or C. This notification will set a ‘VIC marker’ against the DVLA vehicle record. While a VIC marker remains set, DVLA won’t issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle licence reminder V11.

The VIC marker will only be removed when the car passes a VIC.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Only needs a VIC check if and when you sell it on.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

The DVLA is confusing then, since the way it word it, it seems to me that a VIC would be required for a return to the road?

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

docchevron wrote:The DVLA is confusing then
And you're surprised?!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

well, thats a good point! Although they are based in Wales, therefore bound to be ARAF....

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

^Beat me to it :lol:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Roverman wrote:Only needs a VIC check if and when you sell it on.
If they will not issue RFL reminders until it has a VIC then surely they are saying you should have the VIC done before putting it back on the road?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Defender110 wrote:
Roverman wrote:Only needs a VIC check if and when you sell it on.
If they will not issue RFL reminders until it has a VIC then surely they are saying you should have the VIC done before putting it back on the road?
Can only speak for us Kevan, we had a reminder for the Rover 2 months after the write off, we taxed it at the local PO as usual with no problems.