Odds 'n' Sods

Anything about BXs
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

Gibbo2286 wrote:If you lever out the dimmer switch you may find the wires pulled off the connectors at the back, I've had a few like that. Gibbo.

nice one - that's definitely worth a go :D
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

thought I'd give you all an update after your help, been rather busy :shock:

New exhaust mid and rear sections and n/s droplink fitted at the garage

rear brake discs and pads and new front pads by yours truly

clanking sound is now absolutely horrendous, garage reports it may be a rear trail arm bearing as it looks dry but has no free play would that sound likely and how hard is it? clanks over bumps (sometimes) left hand bends (sometimes) braking (sometimes) pulling away (you guessed it sometimes lol)

since droplink replaced front n/s seems to get stuck and judder when going into the high position - how do i check it is ok?

we'll get there in the end I guess

:D :D
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Hi Sara - your clanking reminds me of my last one which had dodgy engine mounts it transpired - do you have much judder when pulling away?

Other than that maybe inspect the bolts that hold the body on to the chassis.

I've had a few knackered radius bearings before and I can't say I remember any clanks - lots of squeaking and strange cornering, but no clanking.

Good luck

Edit: I just paid £150 to have one radius bearing replaced.

Edit2: A sure sign of radius bearing wear is the camber of the rear wheels ie. they lean in at the top when a bearing is shot.

Edit: you might get more responses if you restart this post in the Tech section :wink:
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Are there you are Sarah :-) I was wondering what had become of you and your BX :-)

Can't help you with your clanking sound other than to suggest you find a small independent garage run by a Citroën trained enthusiast who will be able to tell you what the problem is straight away. My local BX hero - Andy Baker would do the job just fine but Woking is quite a way from Manchester - you need to find yourself an Andy :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

sarahjaneking wrote:
since droplink replaced front n/s seems to get stuck and judder when going into the high position - how do i check it is ok?

:D :D
The strutt probably just wants lubing, lift the rubber gaiter then clean and lube the rod or lift the bonnet and just squirt a bit of LHM (using an oil can) into the strut top side access hole then do a few up & downs :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.