BX Tech talk
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

eeek!! me again - alternator???

Post by sarahjaneking »

ok finally sorted the stop solenoid on the txd, now the battery/alternator is playing up so now it stops - but only if you jump start it to begin with.

voltage across battery is 11.78, with engine running 11.40 so is it definitely the alternator???

is it easy to change???

and lastly is this the right one [/url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-405-TD-Ci ... _500wt_928

of course I'd really like it to be the battery but we'll see :?

thanks in advance

Sarah x
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Aye, sounds like it's not charging. Should be somewhere around 14v across the terminals when it is charging.

Have a bit of a wiring check first, just in case something has come adrift. It's unusual for an alternator to just suddenly stop charging - they usually just start putting less and less back into the battery.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If any electric welding has been done on the car while the battery was connected it could have just blown the diodes in the alternator, a regulator pack from the motor factors might be all you need. Gibbo.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Fully charged battery is around 13.8v - flat when it get's down to 11.6v

With the enigne running and your meter attached to the battery give the alternator a few taps keeping out of the way of the moving belt / front end. If the voltage shows any signs of moving upwards then it could be worn brush(es) otherwise it's something else.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

does the battery light illuminate on the dash when the ignition is turned on?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

docchevron wrote:does the battery light illuminate on the dash when the ignition is turned on?

no it doesn't, but it used to, and thinking back it flashed on when running the other day but disappeared when I gave it some revs.

electrokid, be honest, you just want my neighbours to think I'm a total loon don't you :roll: needless to say I shall be giving it a go shortly :D

No electric welding just solenoid in, solenoid out, solenoid in, solenoid out repeat ad infinitum :shock: and then a couple of jump starts so I shall check that out as well :)

looks like I'm going to be busy today - never mind concert at the cricket ground tonight YEH!!!!
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

electrokid, be honest, you just want my neighbours to think I'm a total loon don't you needless to say I shall be giving it a go shortly
They'll get used to it - mine have :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate