The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Roverman wrote:Like that, im in.
have just acquired a part share in a 2.0 XM SEi that would have done it ...

Count me in with an XM 2.1TD SX
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm going to try to get the GTi Auto through the next MOT (shouldn't be too hard) then it's one more MOT after that before the Challenge. It's the car I'd like to take. And Kermit will try to make sure the Green Hornet is ready too* - although by then it might have over 300,000 miles on it! (But if anyone can do it he can)... And if my GTi packs up on the Challenge (or just before!) I've got my lift lol!

*There's nothing wrong with TWO Philibusters doing this. We can take turns at being Wing Man. 8) :lol:

(Part of the reason I want to do it in the BX is that I can see a way of making it sleep-in-able: by removing the rear seat squab. Having the passenger seat pushed the max forward... And you've got a 1.85m (potentially) length to lie on. Although I'd need to fabricate something to 'fill the gap'. But (as you may have noticed ) I like a 'Challenge' :D )

HOWEVER. The XM is sooo good at distances... A difficult choice :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I'm going to try to get the GTi Auto through the next MOT (shouldn't be too hard) then it's one more MOT after that before the Challenge. It's the car I'd like to take. And Kermit will try to make sure the Green Hornet is ready too* - although by then it might have over 300,000 miles on it! (But if anyone can do it he can)... And if my GTi packs up on the Challenge (or just before!) I've got my lift lol!

*There's nothing wrong with TWO Philibusters doing this. We can take turns at being Wing Man. 8) :lol:

(Part of the reason I want to do it in the BX is that I can see a way of making it sleep-in-able: by removing the rear seat squab. Having the passenger seat pushed the max forward... And you've got a 1.85m (potentially) length to lie on. Although I'd need to fabricate something to 'fill the gap'. But (as you may have noticed ) I like a 'Challenge' :D )

HOWEVER. The XM is sooo good at distances... A difficult choice :)
remove the seat squab in the XM, there's likely to be enough space too

I'm using the two man tent with a back up of the back of the car!

And yes, done 1000 miles this week in the XM - sooooo comfortable
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Shame I can't drive two cars!

The thing is, if this is the spiritual successor to the BXagon, surely I'm honour-bound to take a BX if I've got one?

Anyway it's a long way off... and a lot can change. (Like a nice white Ph. 1 16v lands in my lap :D )....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, done my calculations etc.

Here is the announcement you've all been waiting for ... :lol: :roll:

Entry fee: Per CAR (team) will be just £50* Every team gets one main and two secondary sticker and a certificate at the end. *This assumes upwards of 10 participants. If less there will be a surcharge of a few quid.

Profits will be paid to Cancer Research UK via JustGiving (which will enable GiftAid to be included, adding 28%). Based on my sums with 30 teams that could amount to over £1,300.

T-Shirts and/or polo-shirts will be available at cost, plus £5 to CRUK, plus p&p.

Route plan and so on will be made available via e-mail. So: if you want to go on the list - REMEMBER it's limited to 30 places - e-mail me at yo.phil@btopenworld.com

Names I already have on my list are: From the BXC...
Me
Phil Boxall (Kermit)
Tim Leech (Roverman)
Ian Seabrook (Dollywobbler)
Andy (Arctic-steel)
Campbell (Messerschmitt)
Mark (mds141)
Mike E
Anne-Marie (and Steve)
Jaba
Todd (part of the route)

And possibilities (definite maybes):
Ray Fenwick
Mat Fenwick (although I assume you will, Mat?)
Wooscary
JayW

Anyone I've missed?

From the CCC:

Trainman possibly?

From the Club-XM:

nobody yet. (apart from Campbell, above)
But Robert is an obvious 'must-have' ;)

From the FCF:

Kev (Red_Dwarfers) - a possibility...

Early days, I know but it'd be good to build a 'core' of definites'...
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Put me down as a definite maybe Phil, if there is such a thing! I am keen and might even be able to persuade Lana along. I'd rather not confim for certain just yet and then have to pull out because of financial (or marital!) reasons at a later stage. But not setting off on her birthday this time will hopefully go down a little better...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

mat_fenwick wrote:Put me down as a definite maybe Phil, if there is such a thing! I am keen and might even be able to persuade Lana along. I'd rather not confim for certain just yet and then have to pull out because of financial (or marital!) reasons at a later stage. But not setting off on her birthday this time will hopefully go down a little better...
I'm in much the same boat - very hard to confirn 100% as I'm having trouble knowing what I'm doing next month at the moment! Would like to do it though, so keep my name on the list.

Mat - perhaps if Lana wants to go, that'd make my wife keener to take part. BXagon 1 was a pretty blokey affair (bar Anne-Marie of course!).
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Interestingly I'm suggesting maybe Liz comes along... In which case camping's out of the window!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That's Lana's issue as well - her point was "Why do we have to camp if we have a van?"

At which point I should probably ask whether anyone has heard of the (very rare!) Citroen LT35?

I believe there is only the one in existence...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

He he. Excellent! You'll need event livery down the side too...!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

So, that's agreed then. Mat is the official event support crew! :wink:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We need to get 30 cars on this event! I'm relying on you lot to spread the word. Any Citroen will do...

In the meantime

check out

www.philibusters.org

It's had a facelift. Some of the information like route and dates is yet TBC, but you get the idea.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The other reason that Lana isn't quite so keen on the idea is the thought of spending a holiday with "a load of weirdy beardy Citroen fans", and I'm not exactly sure how to dissuade her from that impression...people's photos on Facebook and the like don't seem to help!

Can't say I blame her too much, it must be bad enough living with one - what I lack in beard I make up for with weird.

But I have a plan...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well Liz seems to feel the same way. But hey. I have' the permission'... ! lol
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Because I'm keen to get the route settled- at least in principle- I have decided to suggest a compromise. OK it's 7 days but it combines the benefits (to a degree) of both route options.

Have a look at it: There is significant mountain mileage (without repeating the BXagon route) in the stages between Mulhouse, Solothurn and up through the Swiss Alps to St. Gervais-les-Bains (back in France - via Chemonix) and then down to the Albertville/Annecy area and then on to join a slightly modified Route A...

The only reservation I have is that the roads - even in mid to late May might be closed. Anyone have any intel on this?