The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I can\'t be arsed to apply the time to individually go through posts and try to explain my side of the \'debate.\' Life\'s too short, so we\'ll just leave it that if anyone\'s happy with the whole setup as explained, go along. If there are one or two things you aren\'t sure about, don\'t go. Because trying to filter through the ins and outs has got me no where, and it seems all some of us manage by asking questions is to get people\'s backs up.

Simples?

Enjoy your trip.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Kitch wrote:it seems all some of us manage by asking questions is to get people's backs up.
Honestly Kitch. This isn't the case. I've answered the queries and where practical altered the set up and minimised the structure of the event. You asked questions - I tried to answer them in the subsequent posts. You made a point about a bunch of TVR enthusiasts driving up to Blackpool. That must've been fun, but it is not the same as what we are trying to do here. It's on a different scale/country. I accept my response was a bit silly, but hey...

I have actually said:

No-one, least of all me, expects unquestioning participation. I have tried to address concerns and adapted to them as appropriate. When I settle upon the final form, it will have been because of the debate and input from you lot and others outside the BX Club.

I value this debate, and it has proved extremely fruitful in establishing what I believe to be a good compromise.

So please Kitch. Reconsider. It'd be great to have you and your BX along.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

:oops: Phil not been able to follow all of this for the past few days due to work. As a fellow bx'er and car enthusiast i can only apologise for any negative comments directed at you re 2012 challenge. I for one can't wait until it comes around. Keep up the hard work it IS appreciated. Regards Mark. :D
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the support, but in all honesty I don't really think anyone's had a dig at me per se. I think it comes from differing perceptions. If someone else started to set up an event I might well raise concerns and expect them to be addressed.

All in all this has been a good and cathartic exercise. The result is a leaner, more 'contemporary' approach to a road trip. I, like you, am looking forward to it.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

[quote=\\"Philip Chidlow\\"][quote=\\"Kitch\\"]it seems all some of us manage by asking questions is to get people\\\'s backs up.[/quote]
Honestly Kitch. This isn\\\'t the case. [/quote]

You drove to Blackpool. Wow.

Is all this just belly-aching about paying just £20 in over a year\\\'s time? Really? Is that all?

You didn\\\'t participate in the BXagon and you lost out. It was great fun.

For fuck\\\'s sake what do YOU suggest we do?

Bollocks!

Like I said, enjoy your trip.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, maybe as this is an event organised by, and for adults, you should stay at home anyway.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

:roll: As i was saying :!:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Ah, I see it\'s me on the recieving end this time! Shall I just say my feelings are hurt, let you have your moment and draw a line under it? I would, but then that\'s not the childish thing to do is it?
So if you could dictate to me (you\'re good at that) exactly how I should react to your post I\'d be very grateful as I\'m at a loss what to say next!

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Agreed, let's draw a line under this.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip Chidlow wrote:You drove to Blackpool. Wow.

Is all this just belly-aching about paying just £20 in over a year's time? Really? Is that all?

I have explained what it covers (which is not unreasonable for what it is) and if you don't want to put stickers on your car, sell 'em or whatever. If you don't want to know where we are going, that makes it pretty pointless, and if you want to tag along for the buzz, then it's up to everyone else how you are viewed, but I think it'd be pretty cynical. If you want to not be a part of it at all, then by all means feel free to stay at home.

Not everyone sees it the way you do. I am not over-organising. All I'm doing is trying to work up a route that has a combination of favourable factors, in a foreign country, involving this time, people I don't know outside the BX Club.. A route cannot be thought up 'just like that', it has to take into account a lot of things. Not least where the teams end up of a night.

You didn't participate in the BXagon and you lost out. It was great fun.

Someone somewhere has to decide on a route. To state when and where this is happening, otherwise we might as well say:

Road Trip for Citroens 2012. All comers welcome.

No route, no set time, no stickers. For fuck's sake what do YOU suggest we do?

I'm sorry you won't be taking part.
Bloody hell Phil, I've just spent ages reading this thread and to be quite honest you seem to have created a mountain out of a mole hill.
I honestly think if you re-read the posts you'll see people (not just Kitch) asking 'genuine' questions but you seem to have taken it personally.

Take a chill pill Phil.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have Billy. I really have to assume some but not all responsibility. I don't see what the problem is, as I have tried to address concerns and I'm the first to admit it's at planning stages so debate will result in changes of tack, and improve the end result. I hope.

I feel bad that Kitch got upset with me. I got a bit riled too. I hope we can put it behind us.

In the end we've ended up with a plan for something that has all the makings of a special event. Which is good.

Funny I have been through the posts again and, although I stick by what I've posted (apart from the odd sarcastic comeback) I have one thing to add. Kitch pointed out something very pertinent that I didn't respond to:

I'm not knocking what you're doing, fair play for actually bothering to try and organise something....lets face it as far as Citroens go there's sweet FA pretty much anually!

Says a lot about what I want to see - an regular event that puts Citroens on the map.

So as I said. I hope we can draw a line under this and I don't like to see people upset. But things move on and well, as I 've said elsewhere, this has been a very useful exercise. And nothing personal.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You certainly haven't upset me, although I'm sure you know it takes a lot to piss me off!
I wasn't having a dig at you, or the event, I was just saying it how it was in my head.
As such, and since I'm clearly upsetting people by asking questions and giving my point of view then I shall take no durther part in this discussion, but I do wish you the best of luck with it, and I hope y'all have a blast.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Asking questions hasn't upset me... but I am obviously not very good at this. My intentions are good, but I seem to rile people. Apologies for that.

Anyway, moving on.

This has been a positive exercise. I would like everyone to feel relatively comfortable with what's evolved from it and take part.

If you have no intention of taking part, fine.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Some of the queries have been a bit off though. Asking what's to stop someone from taking part and not paying - I mean, that's just not in the spirit of things at all is it?

Would be like tagging along on a guided tour that someone else has paid for.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The Facebook page should become the main point of reference for interested parties. Use the discussion board - that's where we can exchange info regarding camp sites, points of interest etc. Ta. P