The Citroën Classic Challenge archive

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:Some of the queries have been a bit off though. Asking what's to stop someone from taking part and not paying - I mean, that's just not in the spirit of things at all is it?
But he did point out that he wasn't suggesting it, nor would he expect anyone to have the cheek to do so.
Personally I didn't think it was wrong to ask - the question was answered and it's down to potential participants to make up their own minds whether what they get for their £20 is worth it!

But as both sides have said, lets draw a line under that particular avenue...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

I go away for a few days and come back to four pages of this.

What is up with some of you?

It's a cheap, loosely organised road trip, which by its very nature requires planning (because, if there's only you, you can go with the flow, but another 29 cars need thought about on an event like this).

Phil is planning it, and doing the organisation (and that's a lot of hard work - I know, as I've done it for 50 cars before), and you're whinging about it.

You either want to go or you don't, and if you don't I think it's churlish and childish to throw spanners into the works for no reason than to have a whinge.

It's the same mentality that sees our cars being scrapped - you don't want to pay any money for anything and, as such, may know the cost of everything but the value of nothing - including non tangibles like friendship either!

It's meant to be a laugh, it's not expensive and someone is taking a lot of their time so you can just turn up and have as much fun as you want to.

Be a miserable f**ker if you want, but if you've no intention of going, be a miserable f**ker elsewhere.

For those going, it is the people you go with who make it fun and interesting, and frankly, I'm glad some of you aren't going cos you would be like moaning minnies all the way there and back.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ok. I'll keep my trap shut. The written word can sometimes be very hard to judge. If we were having a chat in a field, this would probably be a lot friendlier!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Dollywobbler wrote:Ok. I'll keep my trap shut. The written word can sometimes be very hard to judge. If we were having a chat in a field, this would probably be a lot friendlier!
Bollocks to that, a good old punch up is what we really want :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

I for one enjoyed doing the BXagon and i fully support the Flexable/organised approach.
But as we did on the BXagon we made our own way from each day's start point to the next nights hotel ( some didn't even stay in the same hotels)
We all seemed to arrive at different times and some got very lost.
We all saw different thing's and took photos which gave plenty of discussion.
I am looking forward to this one as with more potential entrants.
More varied routes, more discussion, more fun,

Regards Kermit
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

I'm looking forward to it too - perhaps I should buy an Ami for the run!
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I did consider using the XM, but where's the challenge in that? No, I'm gonna find me a diesel BX... or even a Visa. Actually no. :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

messerschmitt owner wrote:I go away for a few days and come back to four pages of this.

What is up with some of you?

It\'s a cheap, loosely organised road trip, which by its very nature requires planning (because, if there\'s only you, you can go with the flow, but another 29 cars need thought about on an event like this).

Phil is planning it, and doing the organisation (and that\'s a lot of hard work - I know, as I\'ve done it for 50 cars before), and you\'re whinging about it.

You either want to go or you don\'t, and if you don\'t I think it\'s churlish and childish to throw spanners into the works for no reason than to have a whinge.

It\'s the same mentality that sees our cars being scrapped - you don\'t want to pay any money for anything and, as such, may know the cost of everything but the value of nothing - including non tangibles like friendship either!

It\'s meant to be a laugh, it\'s not expensive and someone is taking a lot of their time so you can just turn up and have as much fun as you want to.

Be a miserable f**ker if you want, but if you\'ve no intention of going, be a miserable f**ker elsewhere.

For those going, it is the people you go with who make it fun and interesting, and frankly, I\'m glad some of you aren\'t going cos you would be like moaning minnies all the way there and back.

I said I was gonna draw a line here, but I can\'t read your complete failure to grasp hold of the situation without passing comment, seeing as it was about me (why you felt the need, I\'m not sure either).

There\'s nothing up with me, nor anyone else who\'s asked a question to gain clarification on an event which is being organised. It\'s been posted on a public forum, which, the last time I checked certainly seemed to be the place to air views and queries.

It is cheap, yes. Of course it needs planning, you think I\'m fucking stupid? You\'ve planned space for 50 cars before? Congrats, what are you, a car park attendant?

I was undecided if I wanted to go or not, hence my questions. £20 isn\'t alot of money, but if someone walks up to me and asks me for 50p, but won\'t tell me what it\'s for, I\'d say no. Whether it\'s alot of money or not isn\'t relevant. If they say it\'s only £1, and you get a magazine called the Big Issue, I still wouldn\'t pay, as I don\'t want the fucking mag. And likewise, I don\'t want stickers or t-shirts or dog collars or whatever to remember a roadtrip I went on. Photos, videos and videos has always done for me. I\'m not gonna stick a sticker in the car, I wouldn\'t wear the t-shirt and why do I want a certificate? To say my car\'s driven 1000miles or whatever? Big deal! It\'s done 116k so far and I haven\'t got any fucking cookies or medals!
I wouldn\'t begrudge others the same things, we\'re all different. But why would I want to pay for something I don\'t want, for someone else? There are few people I know well enough on here to class as mates, and I don\'t believe any of them are confirmed to be going! And far from digging my heals in and saying "I\'m not going if I have to pay" I simply suggested opening it up to a broader audience by simply giving the option. I don\'t buy that a route planner costs money; multi-map is free for a kick off. Fuck it, I\'ll even print them all off for you. And I won\'t charge you for the paper or ink.

Think it\'s churlish all you want, if you can\'t differenciate between genuine queries and trouble making then life must have been pretty bloody tiring for you so far! And come to think about it, who asked you? I don\'t even know you! I asked Phil for clarification on some parts of the event, made some suggestions which I thought might help open it up to more people and got no where. We threw some rattles around, made our minds up about each other and left it there. Who cares? I don\'t need to get on with everyone! But it\'s got nothing to do with you, whoever you are! And if you give me the \'it\'s a public forum etc etc, you\'ve just contradicted yourself and backed up my initial point a couple of paragraphs back.

Same mentality that sees them get scrapped......remind me how many BX\'s I\'ve bought over the years which are about to get crushed and put them back on the road? You can\'t. I know the value of everything I need too, thanks. So don\'t make personal assumptions about me.

Call me a miserable fucker all you want. If you makes you feel better, you can imagine me sitting around being miserable, pondering how to end my sorry little life while you drive around France, cacooned in your little head that you are well and I am not.

To those going, it\'s those you go with who make it fun. Well said, I agree. And based on this thread alone, well.....for anyone going, good luck!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

OK, this is the way I see it, rightly or wrongly.

Kitch asked a few questions, some of which have caused emotions to run high - perhaps because of how they came across. But that was sorted, man to man and both parties agreed to draw a line under it. Phil even agreed that it was beneficial for questions to be asked, and the event has evolved because of it. I decided not to lock the thread as that could have been the end of it, but now I wonder whether it should have been locked?

We won't all agree all the time and healthy debate is a good thing, but dwelling on the disagreements isn't going to help matters.

Can we concentrate on the event now please?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

..that_
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Yes, I'll come back and admit that what I wrote may have been a little harsh, and I didn't practice my normal, 'think before you post'. I also know that things that come across in the written word on an internet forum are not the same as one would do face to face.

In this case, Kitch, though we can agree to differ (well, I can anyway :) )

and I'm Campbell, by the way, owner of five BXs over the years and owner of two XMs now. Nice to meet you, hopefully, one day we'll bump across each other at a rally or meet.
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

A move away from the typical BX Club banter now and back to the route ...................

I am chilling out in France at the moment and as promised here are a few pics on and around the Col du Galibier. As you will see it is a bit bleak and only really worth doing in good weather, which it was.

This pic is in the ski resort of Valloire, the first bit of civilisation you come to down the other side.

Hope this whets a few appetites
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

Ill love todo somthing like that. But i havernt got the balls to do it. Ill be shit driving the other side of the road. Im not good overtaking on this side. So fuck knows what ill be like the other sidelol. Plus need a good co driver.
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

:lol: :lol: Damned honest of you Paul....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

jacksun1987 wrote:Ill love todo somthing like that. But i havernt got the balls to do it. Ill be shit driving the other side of the road. Im not good overtaking on this side. So fuck knows what ill be like the other sidelol. Plus need a good co driver.
Driving in France is easy Paul - I have only driven on the wrong side of the road a few times (the dual carriageway was a bit unnerving, and the roundabout in Angouleme caused some major confusion for the locals :wink: ) What is unnerving is coming back to the UK and every now and then having a panic about which side to drive on,