What sort of MPG do you get from your BX, petrol or diesel?

Anything about BXs
Mothman

What sort of MPG do you get from your BX, petrol or diesel?

Post by Mothman »

Hi all,

I run a standard 1993 non turbo diesel Estate and i wonder what the best mileage per gallon forum members have have had from their BXs both petrol or diesel?
I drive mine pretty hard, not because she is old but because she goes so well, a real pleasure to drive and of all the cars i have had and ive had a few,when i worked for a bank, used to get a new motor every 3 months or so and all were diesels, the BX has come out best for me.
Best ive had is about 51mpg, mind you, thats some hard driving, 80/90mph, cant seem to do the recommended 56mph.

Just interested, thats all, a great car by the way.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I don't work it out all the time, but my best in my 19D estate is 52mpg and thrashing at 80mph seems to get it down to 47mpg. I don't really drive it any other way!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

TXD hatch does 49/50 to work which is a 20 mile each way commute mix of roads & speeds & on a run 58, however i don't drive it that quick to get those figures, last tank average was 53. From memory the worst i've had from my tzd turbo was 36 & that was booting it at every opportunity :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've got mine down to 28, and that was before I upped the boost! 46mpg is the best I've recorded, but think I've probably managed more as I rarelly measure it.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

My favourite topic and I got figures to back it up!

You would think though with open road running (100kph) 99% of the time and hardly ever any traffic that my fuel consumption would be pretty good huh in a 1905cc petrol?
Well it is not that flash actually pretty consistant.

The BX19TZS has a speedometer/odometer inaccuray of about 10% at 100kph over its sister 19TRS at 50kph they are both spot on. So the TZS fuel figure is somewhat skewed by this. Anywasy the figures

19TZS averages between 9-10 kpl (5.6-6.3Mpl / 27mpg )
19TRS averages between 11-12kpl (6.8-7.5Mp l/ 32mpg )

Given that 10% error I have no idea why the 19TZS is less efficient other than maybe the Aircon (even when its not used has an effect)?

Comparison for us is my wifes Mitsi Galant auto 2L that brings back 11-12kpl which was improved by 10% by using 95 rather than 91 Octane fuel.

Why so low given 100kph is supposed to be economical? Well pretty much the same open road driving except each journey practically involves a 400metre vertical climb over 20kms and winding twisty roads. But also saying that the TZS does run faster because of the speedo error which could also explain its lower figure.

From memory the BXs I had in the UK (BX16) got around 6.5 Mpl

Somewhere in my paperwork I still have the "Official" goverment figures chart for all BXs
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I reckon I get around 30mpg in my 14 - which is annoying despite my driving all being around town. I did manage to make this figure significantly lower when I first got the car as I got excited driving a petrol again. On the motorway, keeping to 70ish, I reckon it was approaching 40mpg.

I do miss my diesel :cry:
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think it's a topic full of dreamers and braggers, nobody, or rather very few people know what their actual fuel consumption is, Charlie in the pub says "I get fifty mpg out of my xxxxx.", so Fred has to better him and says "My yyyy is better than that, I get fifty eight out of it." :D

I have always kept a detailed log of my car running costs so can be accurate with the figures over long periods, my last BX, a 1905cc non turbo diesel averaged 48.2 mpg over the whole five year period that I owned it.

The 2.0 litre Xantia HDI I've been running for the last eight months is giving on average 47mpg mainly nowadays on local short distance trips. Gibbo.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I think it's a topic full of dreamers and braggers, nobody, or rather very few people know what their actual fuel consumption is,
Well I got 94 recorded fills covering nearly 4 years of owning the 19TZS in that time is has done 35074kms and used 3819.87 litres giving an average of 9.18 kms per litre. With the consumption running between 8.4-10.75 kpl

On the 19TRS 42 fillups just over 2 years, 16811 kms and 1513.31 litres giving average of 11.1 kms per litre. With consumption running from 9.3-12.46

Yes pretty anal about keeping records so if a problem i.e. stuck brakes, fuel leak or other fuel sucking problem occurs I can spot and remerdy it pretty quick. yes I am one of the few :wink:
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've been looking at fuel consumption on my 14TGE since I bought it to see how it compares to the GS Club Estate (1220 engine, 4 speed box).

Local commuting (9 miles each way), plus visiting friends & family (up to 16 miles each way), both with some steep hills involved work out as about 36mpg in the BX, compared to 30mpg in the GS.

Lightly laden, Long distance running (so far up to 400 miles in a day with either, mostly motorway & dual carriageway), the BX stays at 36mpg, unless I keep it below 65mph (yeah, right :wink: ) when I can get 40mpg. The GS, meanwhile, does about 35mpg.

When running long distance laden, the BX at 70mph drops to around 30mpg, while the GS seems to stay at around 35mpg.

Laden for the BX meant 3 bikes on a rack on the back (hitch mount - not one of those crappy strap on the tailgate types), with another bike, a GS rear subframe, 12 bicycle tyres, and camping gear, food and clothing for 5 days. Laden for the GS has included (at various times) 18 paving slabs, a victorian cast iron 3ft sheet metal guillotene, and several boxes full of old magazines stacked from the tailgate to the front seats and 1/2 way up the windows (which is what killed the subframe :oops: ).

On Thursday I talked to a local aquaintance who I think may be a BXP member who mentioned that out of his BX's he tended to get a maximum of 40mpg out of his turbo diesel (TZD, I think) hatch, while he never gets more than 30mpg out of either his 16v or his 4x4 Estate (not the one that's for sale round here). He does apparently like to drive his motors energetically, though.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

MPG Tables posted on the following link:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

non turbo diesel Estate
Me too - as you say - a great car :-) I only checked consumption when I first bought it 4 years ago just to make sure things were ok. Most of the mileage was the daily commute which was about 60% stop-start urban and 40% motorway and in the first few weeks it delivered 47 to 49 mpg.

I've no reason to suspect it has changed from that though I'm now using BP Ultimate diesel mainly for it's slightly smoother burning rather than economy.

Compared to other cars I've owned it's certainly very economical and very consistent. I had a 1 litre Metro which was advertised as being capable of very high mpg but I found that 35ish was the norm - until I went on holiday one time. I decided that the journey should be part of the holiday so took it very easy and travelled the scenic route - I arrived at my destination with more than half a tank left - 76 mpg ! On the return journey, and again starting with a full tank, I was on motorway keeping pace with the friends I'd joined up with on holiday - I needed to fill up again before getting home !

The granada computer tells me that it does 18.1 mpg - if you drive it like a little old lady you can get that all the way up to 19.7 mpg :lol: set to 'instantaneous' reading at 100+ it drops to 9 mpg - which makes you switch it back to 'average' pretty quickly. It's consistent alright - but the economy of the BX diesel makes it a much more useful motor.
Last edited by electrokid on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I measure my MPG regularly.

BX16V (+ long 5th gear)
Short trips commuting,and it's hilly round here, 26mpg.
Long runs on motorway, 40mpg
BXagon, 38.4mpg

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, I always check MPG at every fill up, not because I'm anal, but it oftn shows up if somehting is amiss before anything obvious happens.

The old TD lump I had would do 62MPG on a run at a steady 60MPH.
More often it did about 48MPG.
The current engine averages 55MPG around town and 60 up and downt he motorway from Stroud to Bristol. Haven't yet donw a long steady run but suspect it'll blitz the old lump.

The valver, well, usually round town it does about 28MPG, on a run mid to high thirties.
Best I ever got was 42MPG at a rock steady 56 down to Southampton to visit Kitch, but by god was it the most boring 3 hours of my life ever.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Best ever result! Last tank managed 54mpg - 515 miles involving driving from Yeovil to home while avoiding motorways, an 80mph blat up the A14 and M1 today, and a gentler 70-75mph return.

This was done on Shell's new fancy fuel. Does it really work or have I just been easy on the throttle? (I certainly wasn't during the 80mph bit!)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

They only claim that it could save you a litre per tank, so in the real world I'd expect less - in which case you'd be hard pressed to notice...
I wonder whether the sensitivity of the fuel cut off in the nozzle could lead to significant skewing of economy figures?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad