The QMG Citroën Classic Challenge 2012

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
toddao
BXpat

Re: The QMG Citroën Classic Challenge 2012

Post by toddao »

We drove down to Interlaken a day earlier to meet the gang on their tour. Weather and scenery were wonderful. Waking up to this on the Monday morning:

Sunset on Sunday night

Monday afternoon, Mat Fenwick and I having a dip in the glacial lake shortly after he'd arrived. ( Later on in the evening we just couldn't keep Mat out of the water which was slightly worrying considering his wine intake and the coldness of the water! A load of anxious and slightly merry Citroen enthusiasts shouting out across Thunersee begging him to abandon his swimming activities. My camera battery was (un)fortunately flat by the end of the evening so the image of a damp and naked Mat F sitting by the campfire will just have to be imagined..)

Last edited by toddao on Thu May 17, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Sometimes one can get to thinking (with very good reason) that life in general is a bit shit, at other times (with equally good reason) one can get to thinking that its f***ing awesome! A few pictures there that can go in the folder marked 'the case for the defence' - beautiful. Great alloys on that yellow break Todd. 8)
saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Really jealous, like Green-Monster-style jealous... Those pictures are beautiful Todd! And i've already voiced my opinions on those alloys =P~ If you happen to come across some other suitably awesome alloys...
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Paul296 wrote:Sometimes one can get to thinking (with very good reason) that life in general is a bit shit, at other times (with equally good reason) one can get to thinking that its f***ing awesome! A few pictures there that can go in the folder marked 'the case for the defence' - beautiful. Great alloys on that yellow break Todd. 8)
..that_

One exam and one job application down, two assignments to go, and today is a 14-hour work day so **** knows when I'm ever going to get them done. It's good to step away from all that and remember that it's still a beautiful world - thanks for posting.
toddao wrote: the image of a damp and naked Mat F sitting by the campfire will just have to be imagined
Except that bit ^
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
saintjamesy89
Over 2k
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Caffiend wrote:One exam and one job application down, two assignments to go, and today is a 14-hour work day so **** knows when I'm ever going to get them done. It's good to step away from all that and remember that it's still a beautiful world - thanks for posting.
toddao wrote: the image of a damp and naked Mat F sitting by the campfire will just have to be imagined
Except that bit ^
I'll take your 1 exam down and raise you 4 exams down (2 to go) and your 1 job application down and raise you 6 down, with more to apply for until I get one :cry: they do take bloody ages to get back to you don't they? Even after much nagging, a particular skill of mine (I think it's genetic and X chromosome linked).

I dunno, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as i'm not currently beholding i'll have to do so in my minds eye, and what's going on in there is pretty good at the moment :oops: it's all about imagination and what you can do with it hehe.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Well I made it back safely with my sparkplug holding on with the 1.2 threads gained by removing the sealing washer.

I drove very carefully reving only up to 2500 so as not to blow the plug out again. I set the GPS, she is French called Amelie, to find the shortest route and no autoroutes and she did brilliantly getting me to Troyes on the first day by the quietest roads I have ever had the pleasure to drive on. Then up to Calais the next day where I filled up to find that I had done 40.1 mpg. In the GTi I have never been anywhere near that before as I usually drive with a heavier foot !

Had a great time with the rest of the gang, as a passenger with Mike E until near the col du Lauteret where I picked up my GTi and drove it for a day until it packed up again as it did on the BXagon. I will sort out some photos if mine are anywhere near as good as Hilary's.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Glad you made it home
that was good fuel economy.Bad luck re spark plug
Better luck next time.
Looking forward to he Pics
Kind Rgards Vicky :)
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Wow what an amazing event, thanks to all those who played a part, I really didnt want to come home! the TZD drove fabulously and averaged about 50mpg, a duff cooling fan switch (expertly mended by Matt F and Kermit) and a side lamp bulb were the only hiccups. Vive La BX!

(Yes that is me having a "drink")
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sat May 04, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
Over 2k
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Ooh i'm looking forward to a comprehensive picture selection of BX french/swiss beauty!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Plenty on my facebook!
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

toddao wrote:Image
Is that Monsieur Hollande in the middle? He has a Citroen too, how kind of him to join you guys!

*I should really start putting members' names to faces...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Erm no thats me, you cheeky get, im not THAT old....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

This is a post Challenge update on my unreliable (when with you guys) GTi.

Just back from my latest French jaunt comprising 2500 fault free miles. In fact the car is running better than ever after I took a leaf from Mike E's book and put 98 petrol in which results in much smoother running.
Also after the Challenge I took the car in to have the wheel balance checked as I have not been happy with this for a year or two and it was getting worse.
I was told that there was nothing wrong with the balance mate but one rear tyre has a distortion of the tread giving rise to the vibes. This tyre was dated 1999 so not a surprise really. Then one Hancook Eco and 50GBP later I found that normality had returned.

So, if you have been, thanks for reading this.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I do hope third time lucky, Jaba. We will do something - probably in 2014. I want to arrange one of two things... 1. A long-weekend trip (5 days): A Citroen-endorsed trip to the Citroen Conservatoire>Chartres, Le Mans, Rennes (and the PSA factory Rennes La Janais there where the GS, BX etc. were built) and back via Normandy. Or 2. a 'cloverleaf trip' where we travel with friends/family to a campsite/gîte complex, make 'camp' and spend three days doing loop-shaped road trips out from the base while those who don't want to do anything else other than relax by the pool wait for our return each evening. I won't be doing anything quite as ambitious as the BXagon or Challenge though. I really want to keep the latter to a week only.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cant believe its only a month ago, speaking to George he felt the same, it seems alot longer now, Count me in for whatever you decide Phil! Cant wait until next year, more bhp next time though!