BX 14RE For Sale

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Defender110 wrote:No he came on here trying to sell it to BX enthusiasts for £900 with no mention of Ebay, It was Mulley who connected it to the £500 start bid on Ebay not Scott who made the mistake of thinking enthusiasts are soft touches & will pay more than market value because their common sence is clouded by their fondness of the cars.

My 2 peneth
So why not just ignore it?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Dollywobbler wrote:
Defender110 wrote:No he came on here trying to sell it to BX enthusiasts for £900 with no mention of Ebay, It was Mulley who connected it to the £500 start bid on Ebay not Scott who made the mistake of thinking enthusiasts are soft touches & will pay more than market value because their common sence is clouded by their fondness of the cars.

My 2 peneth
Exactly. Unless you know the guy, you\'re also making alot of assumptions about his character!

How much anyone thinks it\'s worth is irrelevant, except the seller and the potential buyer.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

This is a public forum, so everyone has a right of opinion, some will agree others won't. If you don't want to hear the facts or perhaps the truth, then i'd suggest that people don't come onto car forums.

No one has really been nitpicking in my view, just pointing out that in order to get a sale, the price should be lower. Afterall, whats the point in saying you'd pay £2k for a car when infact you wouldn't.

I haven't seen a BX1400 go for £900 in the UK, period. If this car was in better condition with lower mileage then perhaps at a push, but its not, so most of us have mentioned a sensible value to try & achieve. I don't think this is creating a problem tbh. Even though some work has been done, it doesn't necesserily put the value up, if that was the case then my TXD must be worth £1500, any takers, no i thought not. Everyone would like to sell a car for top money, but that doesn't often happen. Even valvers don't seem to go for all that much tbh, so i don't quite see why a base model would be valued for similarish money.

A starting price of £500 even on a decent one normally attracts no bids, so i see no reason not to have commented on this fact. I personally wouldn't sell a bx on e-bay, but would via one of the classic car websites where you are more likely to get a sale & a truer value, but again this is just my opinon.

We'll wait & see how the e-bay listing goes, i hope the chap gets a sale & it does go for near what he wants, i'm not buying it so if it went for a grand whilst i might fall off my chair, i wouldn't personally be prepared to pay that for a bx, now for a decent valver i would.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote:

My 2 peneth
Because this is a forum, it's for commenting on?????? If you don't agree with what i'm saying why don't you just ignore it?......because it's a forum perhaps?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Mulley: The value of the car, or people\'s percieved value of the car is irrelevant mate. I\'ve got my opinions on the car\'s value, the same as most people, including you, on here do. I\'m just saying it\'s a for sale thread....it\'s not an open to discussion thread, and in my opinion (and seeing as we\'re all about to catch the \"it\'s a public forum so I can say what the fuck I like\" bus) it\'s the last thread on the board people should choose to discuss it\'s value!
Further to that, this scotty bloke might think well what a bunch of pricks they were, seek to sell his car elsewhere and succeed. No harm done. But if threads on BXC get a reputation for turning into a public Glasses guide discussion board, other people with really nice cars or the like might not even bother to post, instead heading straight to eBay. We\'ve got a guy on here after a 16v at the mo....if they all dodged BXC and went straight to eBay they\'re still prime 205 fodder and the potentially nice cars will keep dropping off the radar. I know it sounds far fetched, except it isn\'t. It\'s happened on the AX owners site, where people stayed away due to all the keyboard warriors.

Defender: A forum is a place for people to chat and discuss. But you wouldn\'t walk up to someone trying to sell their car to a private individual on the side of the street and tell the buyer in no uncertain terms that the car is whaaaay overpriced infront of the seller would you? I mean if you would, you\'re an arsehole. Which I\'m sure you\'re not. And if you wouldn\'t, you\'re a keyboard warrior, because you\'re throwing things around behind your computer screen that you wouldn\'t say in the flesh. I don\'t know you, I\'m not saying you are....I could be wrong. You\'re probably a top bloke, but do you at least see my point?

I just see this and think this guy probably doesn\'t care, but others might.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

People also come on forums to get accurate information and help from those in the know, that includes current values.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:People also come on forums to get accurate information and help from those in the know, that includes current values.
Very true. In chat or the spotted section. On an actual person\'s thread, who\'s selling an actual car involving his own actual money, that affects his actual life?

Well, we\'re all different aren\'t we.

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

You make some fair points Kitch. Perhaps i am a keyboard warrior :shock: :oops: :lol: without realising it. I only make comments on peoples cars to give them an idea of what the car might actually be worth to help them & to ensure that newbies don't believe the hype, perhaps that is wrong?

We (inc me) also comment on cars which are never advertised on the site, would this also be considered bad form??

I think this is a bit more difficult than it 1st seems, afterall we are enthusiasts & we comment/advise on all other aspects of the car, but we shouldn't mention price unless interested in purchasing said car, not sure tbh. Without anyone mentioning prices, perhaps the values would always be low, afterall, if i hadn't said that its worth between £400-£700, it might have sold for only £250?

If a neighbour was selling a car & i thought the price was daft, if after a few weeks of not having been sold i would suggest that perhaps they need to price it to sell & suggest they have a look on autotrader to get an idea of prices going locally. I must admit, i probably wouldn't volunteer any prices, just to avoid them feeling embarrased, i'd probably make an excuse unless pushed into giving a value.

Next few cars that come up for sale on or off the site, i'll bite my keyboard fingers & see what happens :lol:

If i see prices going up, don't feel too smug that you were right :wink:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Good jest mate. I\'m different in that respect; if someone comes on here and asks everyones opinion on what a car is worth I\'m honest. By all means be blunt, no point in being otherwise! But if it\'s an actual advert, then he\'s decided already and unless he\'s asking for advice, that\'s the price he\' wants. Whether he gets it or whether it sits on his drive making the tarmac green, who knows?

Commenting on cars that aren\'t advertised on here is a different subject. They\'re not using our forum as a means of advertising, therefore any mention on here is purely 3rd party....not related. Its like walking past a car on a forecourt, then going to a pub with a mate and discussing the amount it was up for. It\'d be a fucking boring conversation, but it\'s freedom of speech, everyones got an opinion etc etc.

Anyone can talk about price can\'t they? I\'m literally just saying when it comes to threads solely in the for sale section, where someone is using this forum as their own forum in which to advertise their car, that\'s not the place for us to discuss/pick at values/show intense levels of anal BX related knowledgery. If it was any other forum, any other section then who can moan? Even the seller can\'t.....it\'s a free country. If he\'d paid to advertise it, well that gets a shitload more complex, but thats not the case here.

But you\'ve hit the nail on the head with the neighbour bit. If he writes his ad for his car on here, then no bites at all after 5-6weeks, someone\'s bound to pm him and say \"look mate, £900 for a 14 ain\'t gonna happen!\" (I\'m not saying it won\'t of course!)

Don\'t expect values to rise any time soon though, you\'ll be disappointed :lol:

scotty

Post by scotty »

Hello All,
Wish i hadnt put it on now, seems to have caused some controversy but hey, i do live in the real world, not trying to rip any enthusiasts off, just trying to earn a buck like we all do.

I am not stupid enough to expect that sort of money for that car, just wanna offer it to the fans, but we all offer high first, guess i offered too high, learning my lesson.

Cheers
Scott
Scott Blackman, BX19TXD Break, JAGUAR XJS V12
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Scotty if it were me I would lower the starting bid mate, and set the reserve at the minimum, normally works for me and did last time I sold this car :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
artic-steel
BXpert

Post by artic-steel »

It is public forum but it is also the for sale section, you come here to maybe buy something not to read endless arguing between the inmates, the majority of threads in this section get dragged off topic by either pointless smiley laden posts or by bickering & backstabing, no wonder very few cars sell on here.
1984 - Citroen BX 19GT
1999 - Volvo S40 1.8
1999 - Kawasaki ZX6R J1
1986 - Kawasaki GPZ900R A3
1985 - Kawasaki GPZ900R A2
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I have to say (and I include myself in this) we do say stuff about cars for sale which should perhaps be kept unsaid but, some sellers (and I'm not necessarily fingering you Scotty) seem so detached from reality in describing their cars that they might get a job doing Gadaffi's public relations statements. Maybe we need a classifieds section - but there'd still be parallel threads created to critic cars as we do now with ebay stuff.

Personally, if nothing untrue or dishonest is said, I'd come down on the side of the consumer. Otherwise vendors can say what they like about their cars (ahem, Ebay) without fear of being pulled up.

It's the way of the World, I'm afraid.

Personally, I'd be loathe to sell mine for less than a grand - so if this one is good, £500 to £900 doesn't seem unreasonable.

:D :) :( :o :shock:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Personally, I wouldn't want to sell mine for less than £5k, given the blood, sweat and tears I've put into it. Not that I'm trying to claim it's worth that to anyone else.

Nobody is going to pay more than it would be worth to them anyway, so in a way what a seller asks is irrelevant - I don't see it as trying to rip anyone off.

I also (personally) don't have a problem with the value being discussed in this way - however if the majority do then we can lock this thread and try to keep adverts short and sweet in future.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I dont think it really matters as long as we are not just slagging someones pride and joy off. The car is on Ebay now and will surely find its value and either sell or not?
Everybody has a right to an opinion and there are some very knowledgable people on this forum who,s advice can be taken or not .
I agree with Tim though with regard to starting bids on ebay being low with a sensible reserve ,it gets people interested and bidding whereas a big starting price puts people off ,but hey each to there own . I would like to see the car of Scotts just out of interest as its ages since ive seen a "suitcase engined" Bx.Mine is the identical car but a year newer and has the "TU" engine instead.
Richard.