1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Can it make a difference?

Post by MULLEY »

Its not about not being able to afford diesel, but why pay over the odds for fuel, when an alternative is available for £1 a litre :) You can pay £1.37 & know that 66% is going to a very good cause (the govt) if you want ;)

Cheers for the heads up Richard :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

MULLEY wrote:I've used it regularly but infrequently with no issues to date.....
That says it all mulley me olde mucker. You've already alluded that it'll catch up with you eventually. The savings in using veg oil can't amount to more than £10 a year???? Yet your cost of a pump rebuild will far outweigh that. For the potential cost and agro vs the money saved it really doesn't make sense (although I've only done guess work here, not done the sums).

Not picking on you mate, but I suspect there are far better ways of saving a tenner a year.

:wink: none taken i hope Mullster.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

You Bully ;) :)

I've just saved approx a fiver when topping up some of the yellow stuff today, so i'd easily save more than a Tenner a year. If i used it a lot more i probably could easily save what it would cost for a pump re-build, but i don't use it that much as i prefer not to put the pump under too much strain & only really use it when the air temperature is reasonable warm which makes the oil less viscous, so reduces the risks. Luckily for me, i've got a nice reconditioned pump on a shelf in my garage, should this one go pop :)

So yes, its not for everyone this non diesel mullarky.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

This update should interest Mr Matt (mulley) ?
MULLEY wrote:Depends how cheap it is :wink: .............................
Another tip is to use sunflower oil if using it during the cooler months of the year, the viscocity is better in lower temps, downside is that its gone up in price quite a lot, so again i only buy some when its on offer.
I was shopping in Asda this week and noticed that a 2 litre bottle of 'Crisp 'n Dry' vegetable oil is on a price 'Roll-back' again to only £2 (Down from £3.25) !

Click on photo for link ;)

Thread Bear
1K Away

Re:

Post by Thread Bear »

Paul296 wrote:I was being a bit facetious!! :D I think it did make a bit of a difference performance wise - the engine seemed alot smoother and happier(!?) it is hard to be sure though. I also assume that if you could afford to us it regularly ( particularly if you do high miles) it would keep your engine in better nick for longer - which is never a bad thing. ( I still think anti aging cream is a con though!)
Is old anti ageing cream better than younger anti ageing cream? The older stuff has been around a few years and not aged, proving its worth something. If this is the case then get your lady to buy from clearance sales etc and save money! Simples (Might be cheaper to obtain a younger lady otherwise)

Veggie oil. I find the XUD loves it. This is direct from the bottle, and not really the way to do it as the Veggie oil does not mix with diesel oil but forms an emulsion. The reason the oil is modified for marketing from a large supplier. You need some diesel in there to lub the pump. As suggested you play the % to suit the application. I have not tried dosing it with a bit of petrol. Acetone will not add anything unless you heat the mix up. It then converts the oil molecules into shorter chains that will mix with the diesel better.

Used oil is a whole different subject. This contains acids, water and crap. The crap cogs the filter and make the system work hard. The acids twat the pump. That is why used oil is filtered, treated with caustic soda and the acetone as this chops up the molecules and removes the acid and water from the oil by throwing glycerine off. The glycerine needs removal from the potential fuel, and if a quantity facility it maybe sold back to the chemical company supplying the soda and acetone. Therefore used chip oil is really a group operation to make the scale of operation big enough and guaranteed supply chain of chip shops serviced all work and worthwhile. Bare in mind that in outlying places such reclaimed fuel will power a generator, and if your green, that becomes your back up facility to be off grid.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Acetone is highly flammable, be careful. It makes cellulose thinners or lighter fluid look like diesel for igniting with a naked flame. It also evaporates very quickly. I use loads of it with epoxy and polyester resins as it is the main solvent and is useful for cleaning surfaces without leaving a residue.

Quite a few places won't stock it as the extra insurance (for such a volatile substance) is quite a large premium. If you do want to buy it in large ie 5ltr+ quantities your nearest GRP suppliers should have it. Currently I think I'm paying about 12 quid for 5 litres.

The only stuff I've seen on veg oil is with the proper filtered stuff to add abou 10% diesel for n/a diesel engines. I believe sometimes a second inline filter is added to prevent crap getting to the pump.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Now that Mr Matt (mulley) has got a C5 HDi , this may only be of interest for his Missus ?

:lol:

I was shopping in Asda last night and noticed that a 2 litre bottle of 'Crisp 'n Dry' vegetable oil is on a 'Price Offer' again, but at an unbelievable price :shock:
2 x 2 litre bottles for only £3 (Or buy one 2 litre bottle for £3.25) :?

Also available on line:-

Click on photo for link ;)

The sell by date on the 2 bottles I bought was March 2015, so I'll be giving the chip-pan a clean and a fresh replenishment of oil this weekend !

:)

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I need to revisit this veggie oil bizz.

One of the things I am doing is putting in a couple of oil tanks in the back of the garden. This in case I go down the recycled oil root as I can handle about 1.5 tonnes. That becomes an economic operation to convert as long as I can service the collection points and move the excess resultant fuel on. Otherwise I just collect and do one lot for myself once every two years, I guess, on my likely usage.

The alternative is to get registered at the Cash and Carry like my bud and buy the oil by the pallet, tonne I think, and use it in that form with percentile diesel as suits the weather. He admits he changes car reasonably regularly but of course is looking in the banger range for cars able to cope with veggie. He was buying at about half diesel price.

Come next year I will be seriously looking at being self sufficient in power, as I will have the house fully insulated. It will need only a range to heat it, in theory. Electric generation, up to a point on the State rules, bit of a con, but with my own back up array backed by a windmill, as well. So I will need some back up batteries and a generator, nice old diesel thumper. That will be run on the cheaper oil, above. So while I will retain the electric connection I would expect it to be a minimal expense at worst. With the TV license not required, that pays for unrestricted Internet use, and access to much of what I might view on TV, therefore, as long as I view it out of date. It knocks back the ongoing living costs here down to under £1,800 meaning I can target the tax threshold, including the let room allowance for earnings, and not pay much tax, but still have £1,000 a month to live on. So the Government think its foolish to spend a drawn down pension April 2015 on fast cars. I am not sure I agree. Its stupid to give it to them in the form of taxation. Add to that my three remote storage areas, including rent and logistics costs, go as everything will be stored on one plot.
All in all a saving of some £4,000 a year, which cost me nearer £5,000 to earn. Wish I could have done this years ago. Its cheaper than working if you have the capital to outlay in the first place, there's always a catch, proper retirement beckons by not being dependent.

Be that so there is time to muck about making bio fuel. It sounds an interesting project to have a go at.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars