Low Mileage 2 Owner Minter of an Estate 50k Miles

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

lovely car. you're lucky i'm jealous. Rear mudflaps really set the estate off in my opinion.

I've been quite impressed with the economy from the 16 engine - i always get 30mpg round town and averaged 45mpg on a 350 mile round trip a couple of weeks ago. Lots of 60mph but some 80 as well to keep myself awake, and 30 miles round town. The Cit stats sheet reckons 52mpg it achievable at 56mph and 42 at 80.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, very nice along with the pebbly driveway - nice setting. I'm always surprised that there's still another of these 'old boy' wagons coming out of the woodwork but you did well getting that one. Especially that most estates would have been worked hard during their lives.

Max wrote

Rear mudflaps really set the estate off in my opinion
I'm trying to work out how to fit some at the moment. Having just re-built the rear end of my Break, with a brand new rear valance spot welded in, painted and sealed I want to keep the rot away. I bought some 'flaps' on Ebay but no fitting kit, which I seem to remember was quite Heath Robinson anyway, with three strange brackets all going off at different angles, and clamps etc..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'll photograph the new ones when I pick them up from Tim. That might help?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

They have a metal bar that attaches to the bottom edge of the inner wheel arch as well as the bumper itself.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

if i'd known how rare they are i would have kept mine before selling my estate. I'll see if the chap might be open to letting me have them back.

Yes strange angled brackets, it took a little improvisation to get mine on, i had to find some bolts for them and wind in to clamp against metal which is not ideal without maybe some plastic protector.
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

maxgreenwood wrote:if i'd known how rare they are i would have kept mine before selling my estate. I'll see if the chap might be open to letting me have them back.

Yes strange angled brackets, it took a little improvisation to get mine on, i had to find some bolts for them and wind in to clamp against metal which is not ideal without maybe some plastic protector.
They dont fit Mk2 Hatches that well Max and look a bit odd, I would keep an eye out for a set of the generic "Blade" type which do fit.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

i've got some waiting to go on i was thinking more about having them available for one of you guys! That's how caring i am! 'Citroen 7' in Northern Ireland originally gave them to me.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, perhaps a photo of the estate/break fixings might help Phil. Anything like this? I think it's for a saloon, but still looks pretty over engineered.

I'm also curious as to why hardly any modern cars have mudflaps? Was it an era thing?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:Yes, perhaps a photo of the estate/break fixings might help Phil. Anything like this? I think it's for a saloon, but still looks pretty over engineered.

I'm also curious as to why hardly any modern cars have mudflaps? Was it an era thing?
They are the same as ones I have for Phil, and the same as fitted to the GT too, most modern cars dont have them, I guess its down to the cost and possibly as its more of a throw away society?
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for all your kind comments guys, ile try and keep her going to the best of my abilities.
Just shows how good it is to have a donor vehicle as a spare as i have just found a fault and fixed it in 2/3 minutes. The drivers window switch/solenoid was intermittant and repaced it easily. Saved a trip to a breakers and or a request to the forum. Shame the T piece on it was knackered though.

Andy