Anyone ever stripped the ignition barrel down?

BX Tech talk
garethj

Re: Anyone ever stripped the ignition barrel down?

Post by garethj »

Yes, I've had a good look down there and given it a good dose of penetrating oil. I can't see anything obviously in the way. Thanks, though!
garethj

Post by garethj »

I've taken out the old ignition switch, thanks to a post on here about where to point my Dremel, and I got a new replacement from GSF this morning. Getting to the connectors was a bit of a battle but after taking the radio out I could at least see what I was doing.

Unfortunately with the new switch there's a problem; when I turn the key to the first notch the starter starts immediately. On the second notch it keeps turning and I need to hold the key to the third (normally the starter motor position) to get the ignition lights and glow plug lights on.

I've also got a spare green wire from the new switch on its own connector that now doesn't go anywhere, is that just for the ABS that my car doesn't have?

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? The connectors only go in one way up so I'm sure they're correct.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Citroens!!!
It sounds like the switch cable connector has been fitted in the wrong way and is 180 deg. out of position. Thats the circular plate that all the wires connect into with a small rectangular hole in the centre which is turned round by the ignition barrell.
This is usually keyed and only fits in one way but it is worth having a look to see if it can be rotated round.
The green connector is for ABS use only.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
garethj

Post by garethj »

I can see the half-round connector that goes into the barrel, there's a torx screw that seems to hold everything in, do I need to take that apart?

I'm rapidly losing the love for the car, but I appreciate the help!
garethj

Post by garethj »

I've taken it apart and yes, it only goes together one way. No chance of turning it around and the key side fitting in.

*whimper*
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This is ever-more embarrassing. I'm never going to sell the TZD just because I'm fed up with BXs going wrong as soon as I sell them! Sorry. What a pain.

As mentioned elsewhere, I think I have a spare barrel somewhere.
garethj

Post by garethj »

Don't worry, I appreciate that it's just out of warranty!

I'm just a bit narked that after spending £80 at GSF, I'm not back on the road.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

This is ever-more embarrassing. I'm never going to sell the TZD just because I'm fed up with BXs going wrong as soon as I sell them! Sorry. What a pain.
Cheer up Ian, if it's any consolation the officials at the X rally publicly expressed their amazement that Timex hadn't broken down since last year!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!