citron bx 1.9 dtr d reg 50.000 miles all 23 mots

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

anaconda wrote:
docchevron wrote:x3 :?
Im not really sure what this is supposed to suggest.

If ive misinterpreted others comments then thats regrettable or if theres an 'in joke'
No ''in joke''; from my point of view as Phil has stated it was simply bewilderment at your harsh reponse to a long term well respected members oppinion of the advert nothing more. I greatly respect your right to your oppinion but didn't understand you taking such offence.

Back to the car:
I'm sorry Tim but the more I hear about it the more I think 'Pie in the sky'. A genuine diesel with only 50,000 miles on the clock with FSH would not have needed half of the work this car is reported to have done ''Engine out!'', '' bought it as a scrapper and spent hours and hours on it''.
As others have said MOT certs alone are only part of the cars provenance not its service history so IMHO it has zero service history not FSH and to advise the guy the car is worth over a £1000 is IMHO bad advice from someone in the know. When I did a BIN at £850 for my TGD Auto with genuine 60,000 miles, 1 previous owner & genuine FSH last year there was an element of suprise raised on here and that did have a full service history with the last MOT / Service six months before I bought it costing £850 at Citroen Watford.(suspension pipes and spheres) I have 2 genuine low mileage diesel cars (now 70 & 80,000) and both still have mint engine bays compare to this one + there is still a major ressesion on with people generally bailing out at the moment.
Good luck with it though, it only takes one person to feel they would like to spend £1100 on it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Paul296 wrote:It's not difficult to tell a car that's been cherished from one that hasn't - even I can do it!
Can you? This car was bought as a scrapper last year and the seller has history in buying and selling cars!

It's quite unreal to sprinkle this fairy dust over what is a car presumably just bought to turn a profit. Cherished it aint! :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I havn't seen the car so I'm just going on Tims word, and to be fair there did seem to be some discrepancy between the ad and Tim's assessment!

I suppose what I meant was it's not that difficult to assess a car 'in the metal' (as opposed to a few blurry pics in an ebay ad.) Personally, I'd reserve judgement until I'd actually seen it. (I'd also want to get a realistic mechanical appraisal as I'm perhaps more impressed by 'shininess' than is decent!)

I do think the BXs 'banger bargain' days are probably behind it, so that even cars with 'potential' rather than being completely sorted are going to be able to attract higher prices as supply outstrips demand - there just aren't that many good ones left and there does seem to be a good deal more interest in them than there was even a couple of years ago.
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Let's hope if it is a nice example it will find a good home , I certainly would be willing to pay a good price for a nice example of a valver if one were to come up

Mark
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I do think the BXs 'banger bargain' days are probably behind it,

Totally agree with this statement.
And with regard to what the n/a diesel is worth, well its worth what someone will pay. If someone pays a bag o' sand, then fair enough. My opinion is that they wont.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Phil/Kevan. I think it was more about the unwritten rule of 'criticise the post not the poster' I was getting at, but nuff said.

Re the car. Its interesting to compare this with Judes sale of her 40k model. Obviously its a petrol V diesel, so not the same beasts but a few hundred quid for a non mot'd BX in otherwise fine fettle may be less of a financial risk/commitment than £1100 for this one. Given the otherwise fine condition of Judes, it's a reasonable bet that you could get it up, on the road and sparkling for less than a grand.
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Paul296 wrote:I think £1000+ price tags for really sorted BXs in top condition are about to become routine.
Don't hold your breath Paul. I completely failed to get a decent price for an immaculate 16TXS auto with 43K and a folder full of service history earlier this year so I'm with Phil on this one. Neither of us made the true (perceived) value for our cars in spite of condition, history and work done. My ad was as detailed as I could get it with plenty of photos and it topped out at £740. In my opinion it should have made a grand, but it didn't. I screwed up by asking too high a starting price and maybe a few more hats would have gone in the ring had it started at 99p.

Classified ads are a different proposition to auctions, but I can't imagine many people being remotely interested at a £1100. Where auctions win out is by drawing potential buyers in on a low start and hoping for a bidding war. At the end of the process people bid what they think its worth (or a bit more) and some people walk away with a bargain. That's life.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Way2go wrote:
Paul296 wrote:It's not difficult to tell a car that's been cherished from one that hasn't - even I can do it!
Can you? This car was bought as a scrapper last year and the seller has history in buying and selling cars!

It's quite unreal to sprinkle this fairy dust over what is a car presumably just bought to turn a profit. Cherished it aint! :roll:
Way2go you really do always look on the black side of everything, nothings worth the asking price and everyones a crook and out to make a quick buck, you do wind me up!!!

Quite right Tim bought the car as an MOT failure a short while back but it needed very little, but since then an awful lot time and money has gone it to making it good, having the wheels refurbed, and the sills painted, having the 1/4 windows made up etc etc, but its not getting used now and its time to move it on, instead of having sat gathering dust, he does work at a garage and buys and sells a few cars but so what?

To say its not cherished is total crap, you dont know the seller, nor much about the car, so I think ill informed judgemental posts against a BX enthusiast are very unfair.. (god knows Ive had enough of them)

Whether its worth a grand, maybe?, maybe not, but at that price it will detract those just after a cheap reliable old snotter to use during the winter. I for one would be delighted to give it a home and finish of the small cosmetics.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
CGATCX25GTITURBO
BXpert

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

whats my shed worth then 19TGD 1992
90k all mots, since 27k 'about 8 / 9 years ago.
6k mile oil and filter changes
two gearbox oil changes
2 cambelt and one water pump change (on the last belt change at 72k
1 side rear arm bearings done
new disc and pads 10k miles ago
exhaust changed 2 years back
on michelin tyres
just had arb bushes
ball joint
arb link
driveshafts (changed because boots were going to split and I had them available) cleaner than pratting with boots
valeo clutch few weeks back
will have full MOT Nov
2 head light bulbs
2 tail light bulbs
4 dash bulbs
driver seat showing signs of wear
missing my 1992 BX19TGD
1987 BX19 GTI 8)
CX25 GTI TURBO CGAT 86 CGAT :twisted:
19TD temp 2 Xantia estate :)
600 Bandit 97 :)
ZX12R 00 :evil:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

On the open market who knows, on here about £100 :lol:

Are you selling it?,

Scary thing is my Mk1 DTR still looks like a scrapper but it owes me £1000! with all the work Ive had done, which makes this Mk2 car look good value, as its done 130000 miles less too!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

SHED? thats the shiniest RED BX i've ever seen only let down by the worn black paint on the cills + missing valve covers :wink:
IMHO if it is as good as it looks £700+
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Defender110 wrote:SHED? thats the shiniest RED BX i've ever seen only let down by the worn black paint on the cills + missing valve covers :wink:
IMHO if it is as good as it looks £700+
Indeed some black smoothrite on the sills and a lick of paint on those bumper inserts is all thats needed, I think you would get good money for that, as it done lovely miles.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

This is more a general comment than one about the cars mentioned here, but while nice to have, I believe that a service history is not the wonderful indicator of condition some think it is. Some of the most tidiest, most reliable cars I've ever owned (including the BX I recently sold, and an Allegro I had several years ago) had no history whatsoever. On the other hand, I had a 1 family from 2 year old Ami 8 with a folder full of history which was a shed, but it was 10 times better than the 1 family from new Dyane I have. That came with a 3 inch thick folder of reciepts for work done, rotten c posts and a knackered interior and gearbox, but without any straight panelwork, or way of turning the wipers off once turned on short of turning the ignition off.

I'd take a tidy looking car with no history but evidence of recent work over a car with a full but interesting history any day!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote:whats my shed worth then 19TGD 1992
That aint no shed bud, a motor to be proud of in my book and worth loads.

thanks for the piccies.

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I can only hope my TGD looks that good when we've finished with it. Nice one.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v