Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: French car day!! "SIMPLYFRENCH" Beaulieu sun 8th

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Getting to the Travelodge evening of the 7th. Will have wife and youngest daughter with me... Seems there's lots to fill the day with. Are we rendezvousing at Ower services (M27 J2) at around 10am on the 8th?
Sounds good to me, looks like i'll be coming in the astra - pretty sure the GT won't be roadworthy by a week sunday!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'll be there - I may even try to wash some of the dust off the car :lol:

I may also ring a couple of French bikes along, or the Mobylette if I can get it fixed!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

From the CCC Forum:

The rendezvous they are recommending (9:15 at Fleet Services on the M3) means they could join us later on...

For those of you who haven't spotted it in the Citroenian or in the events section of the forum, the West London and Surrey Group are intending to drive to Beaulieu for this event

(click here for Beaulieu's website about the event)

It would be great if we could get most Citroens attending parked together, but in order to do that we all have to arrive at a similar time...
WL&S group wrote:Sunday the 8th of July: “Simply French” day at Beaulieu, a display and gathering open to all French vehicles.

Cars will be parked in the order they arrive, so in order to park together and make a greater impact, we need to arrive together.

We’ll meet at Fleet Services (southbound) on the M3 ready for a 9:15am departure and we’ll travel down as a group.

In order to avoid the inevitable queues at Lyndhurst, we’ll go a different way via the A326 and Beaulieu Rd.

Anyone wishing to meet up along the route, let me know so I can advise a suitable place and time.

There is camping available for anyone wishing to stay overnight on Saturday or Sunday.

Let me know if you want to join us so we know how many to expect, even if you do not make the decision until the day before, drop me a line if you can, or just turn up.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ower services is basically a fuel stop with a McDonalds attached. There is parking there (not much, but adequate I should think). If we meet there at 10am, then we can - as has been said - take the A326. You'll find Ower services thus: Exit Junction 2 M27, follow A36 north to a roundabout, where 'Services' is signposted. The car park is behind the service station, adjacent to the McDo.

For SatNavvies: Romsey Rd, Ower, Romsey, Hampshire SO51 6GF
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I've just calculated what time I'd have to get out of bed to make that time as someone that didn't have to be stood upwind of for the entire day ...

:shock: - on a Sunday too :lol: Unless my impulsive offer of overnight accom. is taken up (and that's still open BTW, because I would quite like to go to this event) then only expect me at the service station if you see me and don't wait on my account!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The Ower services works for me, as I'll be coming cross country from Gloucestershire. I'll be passing by (among others) Chippenham, Trowbridge and Salisbury if anyone wants to tag along on the way
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Having checked the weather forecast, I am thinking we will have to leave it until virtually the Saturday before we will decide to go or not. I am reluctant to pay the £80 plus it'll cost us to get there and back, into the event and at least give the little one a treat or two if it's going to basically rain from 10 am to 7pm...

:evil: :twisted: Bloody weather.
saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I have just had to renew my insurance 3 weeks early (to get pizza delivering job) and put 2 new tyres on the astra - so I am totally cleaned out now! Don't even have the £20 for fuel it will cost to get to this event and back, never mind the entry fee!

So, not coming... New job is paid monthly so i'll be skint for a whole month more, might even have to scab some fuel monies off Steve. Hate having no money :(
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Forecast cr*p. Unless there's a dramatic change in the forecast, I shall stay here. (Common sense says I need save money for holiday anyway).

Thing is, I'd bet money on the weather being cr*p for the holiday too. Not best pleased.

I assume people are meeting at Ower Services if we do come. Whatever happens, have a good one, chaps.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi Phil,
What happens to the hotel room that you booked ?
Are you going to write that off or will you get your money back?
We have also booked a room and have made a comitment to go.(missing our local Beer and Wine Club BBQ)
Think we will go may be have a look around the harbours or shop for our holiday in France....
the weather must be better there!
We need a family break anyway, and it is lovely & sunny here today.
Last edited by Mike E (uk) on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well the special deal £19 for the Hotel would be written off: it is money spent. I'm not saying we're 100% not going, but if the weather's naff I might as well cut our losses.

It's gorgeous and sunny here too! If only it could be something like this at the weekend. As it is, I think it's rain showers from 10am to (heavier rain) 7pm. Mmm. Not exactly a good day to drag the family out to a car do. Mind you, forecasts do have a habit of changing.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I assume people are meeting at Ower Services if we do come. Whatever happens, have a good one, chaps.
That's where I'm aiming for - plan to get there around 9:30 ish, then hang around in the rain to see if anyone else turns up before continuing down to Beaulieu
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My wife is quite keen.

But back O/T :lol:

Sorry... Liz, Phoebe and I might still take a chance on the weather, take a packed lunch and jump in the BX... But let's see what the forecast is first. Do you know if there's much 'indoors' other than cars at Beaulieu. I've never been.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

As well as the museum, there's Beaulieu House, and some of the abbey is also under cover. You could also spend some time browsing the gift shop, which is pretty large.

While outside, the monorail at least has a roof, although it wouldn't be fun if it was windy as well as wet.

If by some chance it stops raining, there's the gardens aswell.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'm planning to go - even if it slashes down I'm only 30mins from home.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)