Wanted BX17 n/a

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: Wanted BX17 n/a

Post by saintjamesy89 »

mds141 wrote:Tom, seeing as you like big 4x4's, how about a Ford Explorer or a Chevy Suburban with a LPG conversion.
One answer to that question, insurance!

That's another case against shoulder demon two, i know. And the reason I wasn't going to have this car as a keeper. But (holds breath and closes eyes) a BX doesn't have to be a keeper, it's just more likely to be!

It's a lot of stop and start, so more wear mechanically than motorway driving. But I am certainly in no roaring rush to get where i'm going, the other guys bomb around like loonies (and get pulled by the police all the time :lol: ) whereas I stick to the speed limits and drive gently - because I care about my car, the amount of fuel i'm using and keeping my license! Don't get me wrong, I still manage to do as many, and in some cases, more deliveries than the other drivers.

EDIT: yep, trés sensible Sandre! I thought you was all growded up like? Mmmmm I did (foolishly and not seriously) consider a 2.1d manual XM, but insurance, maintenance and economy are all negatives in that case!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Looked at 205's = MISTAKE, they are more expensive to insure than a n/a ZX, same as a BX turbo and more than a cav/405 n/a too!

One car I told myself i'd never have cos I hate them. A pug 306, n/a diesel is IG 4!! And a TD is IG 5!! And you can buy them very cheaply... A last resort perhaps? I'd even prefer an AX over a 306.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

If you get a BX, you may not end up keeping it in the long term, but while you own it, you will want to love it and hug it (and possibly call its name George for all I know, but that's up to you). Whereas a nasty little sardine can could get a car park ding which would make you just swear, shrug, then ignore it.

I am already struggling with the whole "I'm old, crap, when did that happen" thing, no fair if I have to be grown up as well. So if you'll excuse me, I am just going to go out and kill myself, then lie down in a darkened room for a while until this stupid adult logic wears off (wait, what?)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I like being old personally..

Tom, dont knock the 306 too much, it's a far nicer ride than the AX (all of which I dislike aside form the GT of course which is almost as much fun as you can have with clothes on), and, not that I wish anyone to be involved ina acrash, but if you are, the 306 has rather more metal around you than an AX which is made of recycled brown paper bags used exclusively by hobo's to contain rum!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

It's getting to the stage where I will have to buy 2 new tyres for the astra or stop driving it/crash/get pulled over and receive 6 points for illegal tread etc none of which is good! I was hoping to have sorted out an alternative for it by this point, but I did think the tyres would hold out a bit longer - I suppose 100-200 miles a night doesn't help.

Thing is i'm impatient, and fussy. And no-one seems to want to buy my astra on the MK2 forum (cos they all have GTE's and no-one wants a lowly 1.4) so it'll have to go on ebay, which i'd rather have avoided.

The huge rush to replace the astra has abated, I have tightened up the infuriatingly squeaking engine mount and got used to driving it around town lots. Looks like i'll be putting 2 new tyres on it and keeping it for a while then, until I find something I like and can afford.

In other news, I could be really fucking grumpy today. It's my 1st day off for a week, this weekend I worked both days 8:30-4:45 at the garden centre and then 5:00-12:00 at domino's. My only day off, and I have loads of shit to do, all of which requires effort and being nice to people. Also because i have been working lots and Steve has been busy with family/work, the house is a fucking bombsite and I hate mess it makes me even more grumpy. And i've lst my hayfever pills and can't be arsed to go buy some new ones, so i'm all snotty and puffy - not helping the whole situation. And i've just heard that the washing machine has broken at mum's, mum and stepdad have been on holiday (come home tonight) and wanted sister (who lives at home still) to do a load of laundry of clothes from the loft that mum will sell later - so i've got to fix that too.

/rant. Feel marginally better now, but actually have to go and do said shitty jobs.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

docchevron wrote:I like being old personally..
I agree - it has it's compensations and youth really is wasted on the young. Couple of things I'm not too keen on though;
1. My Dad was right (I hate it when other people are right); modern pop music really is shit and the world HAS gone to the dogs ('not like in my day' etc. etc.)
2. The narrowing chronological gap between me and being dead (not that I've ever been dead, but from what I can tell, it doesn't look like much fun).

Tom; Stop fannying about like a big old sissy and buy a BX :D . I'm sure there are lots of other cars that would provide ample practical solutions to your pizza delivering/transport logistics conundrum. They all have one major drawback though; they are NOT BXs!. 8)
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

The astra is staying chaps, the timing was quite out hence the bad mpg and not so good being driven, two new tyres, a new dizzy cap and rotor arm later and all is well again.

I also realised why I was really grumpy and miserable - I hadn't eaten since 4:45pm yesterday! I'm a bit like that bloke off of the snickers advert when i'm hungry. One breakfast and lunch later (not in one sitting of course) and normal humour is resumed. I even got some shitty jobs done.

Back to plan A, Astra off the road for work next year, to be replaced (most likely) with a 14.

Off to the cinema now, we're going to see ice age 4!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

*starts sweepstake on how long it will be before Tom changes his mind. Again.*

Love ya babes, but you're being a woman in a man's body over this. Pretty much what Paul said - you know you want a BX14, JFDI!
1992 Hurricane
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Paul296 wrote:
I agree - it has it's compensations and youth really is wasted on the young. Couple of things I'm not too keen on though;
1. My Dad was right (I hate it when other people are right); modern pop music really is shit and the world HAS gone to the dogs ('not like in my day' etc. etc.)
2. The narrowing chronological gap between me and being dead (not that I've ever been dead, but from what I can tell, it doesn't look like much fun).
I find the older I get the more like my Dad I become, I'm pretty sure by next year I'll wake up and discover I actually am my own Dad! Not that that's a bad thing for me, I have a truly awesome Dad.

I've also been technically dead twice, although since I was in a coma for the following 2 weeks I have no idea if it was any good or not, but judging by how ill I felt for many many months after I'm guessing being dead was a bit crap really. Still, comes to us all in the end.

Tom, you might want to hang on tothe Astra, it may be unpopular now, but once everyone has all the GTE's there are to have and all the lowly Astra's have gone to the scrapyard, yours could be sought after!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

docchevron wrote:
Paul296 wrote:
I find the older I get the more like my Dad I become, I'm pretty sure by next year I'll wake up and discover I actually am my own Dad! Not that that's a bad thing for me, I have a truly awesome Dad.

I've also been technically dead twice, although since I was in a coma for the following 2 weeks I have no idea if it was any good or not, but judging by how ill I felt for many many months after I'm guessing being dead was a bit crap really. Still, comes to us all in the end.
I wouldn't mind turning into my Dad, except his beard's crap, I wouldn't witter on like he does and I'd make sure I wore my hearing aid so as not to piss people off by making them shout everything twice! #-o :D

Which reminds of of another 'Oscar Wildeism' that's sort of apt;

'Every woman's tragedy is that she eventually turns into her Mother. Every man's tragedy is that he never does'.

When you were technically dead didn't you see a great big shining light and then be led away by all your dead relatives to spend an eternity like the shittest boxing day you can possibly imagine!? Being dead; sounds like a right barrel of laughs (not) :D
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I don't think I could cope with turning into my Dad - it would mean living with his wife :shock:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul296 wrote:When you were technically dead didn't you see a great big shining light and then be led away by all your dead relatives to spend an eternity like the shittest boxing day you can possibly imagine!? Being dead; sounds like a right barrel of laughs (not) :D
nope, sod all mate! I did "imagine" a lot of very weird stuff, a lot of which I still remember, although the doc tells me this was almost certainly during the coma stage and not the actual being dead bit, although both were brief amounts of time..
Have to say though, some of wha i do recall was extremely "funky" and makes me wonder just what the hell I have stored in my brain!

Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Oscar Wilde wrote:'Every woman's tragedy is that she eventually turns into her Mother. Every man's tragedy is that he never does'.
Hence my earlier panic attack about getting old ...

If I could have my 18-year old body back (I'd be much nicer to it as well), but keep my, um, experience ... now, there's a thought (Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait :roll: :wink: )
1992 Hurricane
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I think 'd have my 18 year old body and loose the experience aswell!

Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Caffiend wrote:
If I could have my 18-year old body back. . .)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The language is ripe, the advice (maybe) contentious, but hilarious and one of the loveliest life affirming films I've ever seen.