Retire or repair??

Anything about BXs
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Retire or repair??

Post by themildbunch »

OK, I may change my mind but having just moved house and with 2 out of 4 cars not working I'm under more pressure than normal to sort these out...

I can't see at the moment how I'll get the time to do this engine swap realistically so if anyone wants to take this on, please PM me...

To recap - this is a Taxed and Tested, J reg. metallic grey BX TZD estate (turbo diesel) - about 137,000, that had a short but significant diesel runaway a few months ago on a cold engine... It starts, runs and drives (just driven 30miles) but is smokey when you put your foot down. Compression is below spec on one cylinder and it's likely the turbo / turbo seals are damaged.

I should have a known good replacement engine / turbo soon -probably in the boot!

It's a real shame to get rid / scrap this car as I've used it for several years and worked through some of the usual BX stuff - I've also got a mass of spares as this was going to be a keeper that could be available too

Good Bits / work done

Rare Grey Zenith interior / complete spare interior available too
beautifully smooth heater control!
5.5J silver speedlines (may need to remove) with two new tyres
no ABS!
New Discs / Pads all round, less than 12 months ago..
New rear caliper fitted
Pleiades reconditioned FDV fitted less than 12 months ago and rack boot for MOT
Bilt Hamber cavity wax in all the box sections / sills.
New rear bearings about 18 months ago
cambelt and waterpump about 18 months ago.
new alternator brushes fitted 6 months ago
almost all the coolant pipes replaced with new - and the NLA braided ones around the back of the engine.
much welding and reconstruction of the driver's a-pillar around the top hinge and a patch welded on the drivers inner wing.
seems solid underneath.
towbar with working electrics fitted

Bad bits:

Usual rust spots around the rear quarter, some around the fuel filler - not too bad but would need looking at at some point.. (no advisories on last MOT)
Pedal box needs welding - usual throttle lean - but is driveable...
Clutch is getting heavy - worth doing with engine out..
Octopus had been leaking at the usual place several months ago - repaired with some silicone hose and rigid pipe and seems to be holding.
Wishbone bushes could do with being replaced - 'worn but not excessive' on MOT advisory
Drivers wing crumpled on end - (was run over by accident when taken off!!)
Dents on several panels - not really bad but it's not a perfect looking car..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sorry to hear you've decided to sell, but at least it gives you time to work on the other 2. Hope it finds a home (should do considering what the green one on Ebay sold for!)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

I retired a BX19TGD and replaced it with a Volvo V50 with 66,000 miles on the clock 3 years ago. What a mistake! I have only driven the Volvo for 12,000 miles and in that time it has had a failed DPF sensor which could have caused a major accident (£300 to replace and retest), a failed alternator diode costing £140 for a replacement alternator and now the brake master cylinder seals are not holding pressure. It seems I can only get a master cylinder from Volvo and I dread to think what Volvo's extortionate charge will be. I would have been much better off sticking with the easier to drive, better visibility, more economical, more comfortable, less raod noissy, bigger booted BX19 and might have spent less money. After a BX I am still wondering if the Volvo actually has a suspension! I thought Volvo were supposed to make prestige cars - my experience is that they are dangerous very expensive to maintain and are of much worse durability than any other care I have owned previously. Granted it was maintained by the main Volvo agent throughout its life before I bought it - that might have a bearing given the conversations I have overheard between their customers and their maintenance managers.

Anyone agree with me? I morne the passing of cars like the BX. When will Citreon produce another like it?
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I think V50 says it all, the last proper Volvo was the 960 (rwd) and apart from a T5 the only one I would touch now is the V70 estate ,which was only beaten by my new (to me) peugeot 406 estate by price and the fact it was 60 miles closer
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!