Timex and friends

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Timex and friends

Post by citsncycles »

Now I have a BX which I have every intention of keeping I thought I'd better start this off. Many of you know what this shambolic shed looks like, but here goes anyway:

It's only been in my possession a few hours and I've already put it to work, hauling some slabs from my place to my mate John's:

So, first impressions - a very, very different drive to the GS, first PAS car I've had in nearly 10 years, so the steering feels ultra light, while the go-not-so-slowly pedal needs a fair old shove to do anything. Reverse took a little memory searching to find - it's next to 1st with a lifting collar on the lever. It also took a minute to work the headlights out, not helped by the dodgy switch.

Urgent jobs include:

Finish off Ian's sorting of the front suspension and steering, hopefully getting rid of the clonks
Weld up the passenger side sill and front inner wing
Get the spheres recharged - the rears are acting strangely in my experience - not hard, but not much damping either :?
Sort out the short interval between pump times, accumulator has been changed, but still running every few seconds.
Find and fit some rear seatbelts
Check and replace as necessary door seals
anything else that may be needed for the MOT

Longer term, I'm making a list of stuff I need, such as Mk1 door cards, rear speaker grills, gearbox parts (although I may just pull it and hand it to Bristol Transmissions), etc.

Finally a quick question for those Mk1 experts out there - there's indicators for sidelights and main beam on the dash - is there supposed to be one for dip beam too?
Last edited by citsncycles on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Timex

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes theres a bulb for side dip and main beam.

I sm sure i have a set of spare mk1 switches
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks for the info Tim, I suspect there's a few bulbs need doing - at least they are easier (from memory) than Mk 2 bulbs to reach :D

A complete dash assembly came with the car (there's been some holes drilled in the original), so I'll check out the switches on that, and I suspect will mix and match between the 2 while swapping it over.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

citsncycles wrote:Sort out the short interval between pump times, accumulator has been changed, but still running every few seconds.
Check and replace as necessary door seals
Pump has also been changed, but for a second hand unknown one. The fact that there was no change probably suggests the problem lies elsewhere though. Ball bearing under accumulator sphere has also been reseated.
With the door seals, I've found that on a couple of BXs I've had, the leak was between door seal and body rather than seal and door. The rain was entering the U section of the seal at the top, working its way down and running down the inner sill at the bottom. Cured with silicone grease, although normal grease would do, just messier.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There's no dashboard light for dipped beam IIRC, just sidelights and main. The headlamps come on both in sidelight and headlight positions (like a 2CV) and you click the dip-switch to get sidelights (upper position) or main beam (lower position).

Technically, it doesn't need rear seatbelts. I took them out because they were all knackered. If you're carrying folks around, you may wish to fit some of course.

Sorry I forgot to tell you where reverse is! The label that tells you such things is long gone. Be aware that a start from cold will be very smoky and will need throttle. It soon clears. I'm pretty sure it has had glow plugs.

Another urgent thing I forgot. The wiring has snapped off the oil pressure warning switch, so while the bulb will work if you press the 'test' switch (that eyeball thing on the black row of switches on the speedo binnacle) it won't illuminate if the oil pressure drops. Not a problem for me as I actually keep an eye on oil levels but probably nice to have working!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:I'm pretty sure it has had glow plugs.
It has :wink:
Dollywobbler wrote:Not a problem for me as I actually keep an eye on oil levels but probably nice to have working!
You can have low oil pressure even if the level is OK y'know - such as if the oil pump fails. I have a spare switch if you're stuck Mike, but would imagine they're still cheap and easily available as it'll be shared over a wide range of vehicles.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That's great news Mike - a worthy companion to your GS. Glad it's gone to an enthusiast and being put to good use already as a workhorse!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

mat_fenwick wrote: With the door seals, I've found that on a couple of BXs I've had, the leak was between door seal and body rather than seal and door. The rain was entering the U section of the seal at the top, working its way down and running down the inner sill at the bottom. Cured with silicone grease, although normal grease would do, just messier.
I found the front door leak on my shed was caused by the plastic door wiring protector not folding in the right place and catching in the door seal, letting water drip through into the footwell - just needed twisting around to change where it folded -
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Pump has also been changed, but for a second hand unknown one. The fact that there was no change probably suggests the problem lies elsewhere though. Ball bearing under accumulator sphere has also been reseated.
With the door seals, I've found that on a couple of BXs I've had, the leak was between door seal and body rather than seal and door. The rain was entering the U section of the seal at the top, working its way down and running down the inner sill at the bottom. Cured with silicone grease, although normal grease would do, just messier.
I visited the Westons today to book the car in to have the spheres recharged, discuss some issues and see if they had any BX's they were breaking. Andy suggested that a pin in the pressure regulator may have got bent, leading to it sticking.

I'll have a look at the seals to see how well they fit the lip they press on to.
Another urgent thing I forgot. The wiring has snapped off the oil pressure warning switch, so while the bulb will work if you press the 'test' switch (that eyeball thing on the black row of switches on the speedo binnacle) it won't illuminate if the oil pressure drops. Not a problem for me as I actually keep an eye on oil levels but probably nice to have working!
OK, thanks, I'll check that out in the morning.

And thanks to all who have posted messages of support both here and elsewhere :D
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, if they didn't chase you out the building, shouting at you never to return, it must be ok!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Spent today checking how bad it really is, plus sorting a couple of issues.

Put a new connector on the wire to the oil pressure switch, only to find the switch itself was bust.

next checked out the headlamp switch, to find this:

The slider rod had come adrift, and some of the contacts in the lever had come adrift. I managed to strip it down and relocate the contacts etc.

Once assembled, it all worked as it should

I also changed some bulbs in the instrument assembly, and the hazard warning switch, somehow making it work without the ignition on in the process.

On the mechanical side, one of the rear suspension boots needs changing, as does one of the front strut return pipes, a track rod end, both rack ends and boots and a wheel bolt! There's also some clonking and play in the rack when you rock the steering wheel, so I'll change the whole assembly.

Immediate welding repairs are both front inner wings below the washer bottles, the front of the passenger sill, the rear passenger footwell, and the rear crossmember:

It then started raining, so I hopped in the car and started checking stuff in the Haynes book, until water started dripping on my knee from here:

Checking the rest of the car, the front passenger door seal is shot, but the rear passenger door leak is a different issue:

Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That will keep you busy!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Great to see so much progress already. Vindicates me in being right to sell. My enthusiasm had run out, Mike's clearly making an impact on the issues already. He can also weld...
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Hmm, that looks like someone tried to break into the back there, shame. Obviously, the end of an era for Ian, but how nice that the car's stayed in the family - keep the progress updates coming please? :D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Not much today, except I now have a pair of correct wheels for the front - they're even the correct age 8) I've also sourced a better bonnet, plus a Mk2 back door which will go on until I either repair the original or find a better set
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD