The R21 Nevada Owners Club

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: The R21 Nevada Owners Club

Post by Tim Leech »

I cant see anything????
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Seems obtainable.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The R21 Haynes manual just arrived in the post. It's in great condition, without any oily fingerprints but the quality of the paper is awful. All my BX manuals have quite heavy white paper whereas this has paper somewhere between newspaper and the phonebook and it's yellowed. Obviously Haynes were trying to save money in 1994 when it was printed.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

See, they just don't make things like they used to (in the good old days of the 80s!) I've noticed that with my later BX manual, which I bought thinking it'd be an improvement over the earlier one. Nope - less information, and crap paper...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I'm going to buy another one anyway, as I like to have one down the barn - with obligatory oily fingerprints and broken spine- and a nice clean copy at home for some light reading by the fire of an evening. The three hundred copies on Ebay at the moment don't exactly seem to be flying out of the sellers' hands! :D

I've also got the classic brown Haynes BX manual and the later blue one - with the spanner difficulty rating system - the brown one is better but I like to have them both.

I don't even know if Haynes are still producing their manuals. Perhaps it's all gone compootered these days? Anyone been to the Haynes museum by the way as advertised in the front of the book?
Todd

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Haynes are still producing, although they don't seem to cover a wide a range as they used to. I recently bought a manual for my Varadero that was written in the last 18 months, and it's pretty good. They also do a range of other merchandise, including mugs, novelty manuals (Wallace and Gromit for example) and key rings. The mugs and rings available are a range of the drawings on the front of the manuals, something else that has unfortunately vanished.

The museum is great. It's a few years since I've been, but they have a huge collection on display, augmented by cars owned by local collectors. They have an arrangement where you can display your car there, during which time they will keep it maintained. If you want to take it out, they will service it and make it ready for you to collect and drive away. They also have a test track which is available for the use of car club meetings - it may be a good venue for a future meeting.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I gave my origional Haynes manual that I bought for my 1.9 trs in 1996 to Adam when he bought the meteor, I left in the boot of trs when I sold it in Essex in 99 then bought the same manual back in Milton Keynes in 2005 when I bought my first white GT i
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I would definately like to go that Haynes museum. Do you think you can buy one of those nice Haynes body-warmers the testers are always pictured in? :D

I didn't spend my whole day browsing the yellowed pages of my new bible however. Took delivery of 4 cubic metres of wood from a friend. This is about half of it. It was tipped through the old coal chute into the cellar. Just got to stack it all up now. Should keep us warm for a bit!

Todd

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

went there about ten years ago Todd , not a bad place actually although I was rushed through a bit by swmbo as apparently the kids were getting bored
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I deliver parts to the garage around the back all the time, they have a lovely white DS 21! They must do all the work on their cars in said arage, as I often see a line up of tasty cars in the workshop bays.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Nice load of wood there Todd, but you could have stacked it a little more neatly :-P

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That is stacking masterclass! :D I'll try to stack it so it looks like..... wood? Stacked. :-reindeer

R21 Newsflash :

I'm hammering on with the really important jobs. Fitted the new/old stock Renault Ebay windscreen wipers, replacing the flapping bits of rubber. Filled up the windscreen washes fore and aft ( very nicely devised), then sat inside the old ship ( on stands) then squirted water and wiped away. All the old cack cleared away. Cheap thrills!

Then - really important - fit 'the rig' - Grundig VD1650 Radio/Cassette c.1993 (more ebay effluent). Was pleased to see that the display of the old Grundig lit up in the same orange as the R21's digital clock, right next to it. The speaker set-up on the old girl is priceless, pretty similar to the Mk.1 BX : tiny high-toners/tweeters above the L/R heater grills on top of the dash, 'bass bin' under the dash, then another speaker behind the centre consule. Sounds good enough to me - era sound not competing with modern 'ICE' of course - but original and loud enough. There are also two original speakers in the door card for the rear hatch but I'm fiddling around with the door lock on the back so haven't checked these yet.

Also found the original handbook in the car which is period perfect. Lovely pic in there of R11s in the workshop.

In the next days : welding, brakes etc. though it's starting to get cold.. luckily I just bought ( ebay addict) some used thermal overalls with lining! Over-and- out ~ale~
Todd

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Haynes do a manual for HMS Victory, Space shuttle and IIRC a Spitfire.

The museam is excellent, but a long way from most of the folk on this forum.

Love the vertical marquetry.

Been collecting a tree in the trailer today. It's freshly cut down so needs much sawing, splitting and moons to pass before it will become heat.

Nice bunker you have there for wood storage Todd.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hey Mike - there you are!
Love the vertical marquetry.
me too ! If I only knew what is was :lol:

Late..in C.Europe.. Hank Williams on the wireless beers
Todd

Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Don't know about Hank Williams, but we are going to see Hank Wangford at the local village hall next Friday.
How cool is that?

http://www.hankwangford.co.uk/hank_news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No bar though, so will take our own beer.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!