B438 AVH collected

Anything about BXs
Henry.M
Confirmed BX'er

Re: B438 AVH collected

Post by Henry.M »

Think its cheaper to get a new iphone and tie it to my head with a gold neclace!
in fact I could probibly get the car nearly roadworthy with £289 !

but on A more serious note, does anyone have any wires I need as I am eager to get this car on the road before April. ambitous and niave maybe :lol: but I want something to drive when im 17.
4 broken cars, 1 small wallet

1982 porsche 924 2.0 na - on sorn
1961 morris minor 4door saloon- a rolling shell and many boxes-Borris
1988 citroen bx16 49,222 miles- Eric
1985 citroen bx14 RE - not been taxed since 1997 howmanyleft.co.uk (0 taxed 0 sorned)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Henry.M wrote:does anyone have any wires I need
Yep. But I need your address! :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Henery
if i find the moduel to dizzy link cable by Thursday Andy says he will collect it from me to deliver when he and Tim come to see you on Friday

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Henry.M
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Henry.M »

Thanks malcolm, do I owe you anything? and Tim, who's Tim? he's more than welcome to come round anyway :D the more hands the better as I got a bit fed up with the red devil today, despirate to get it running, checked fuel was being pumped out, yup, poored all over the alternator :lol: but no spark still! bodged some wiring from dizzy to coil and what i thought was the ignition switch (the snapped green wires which i had my hand on in one of the photos) and linked that to the coil and still sod all, ended up with slamming it shut and cursing loudly and one strong cup of tea!

1985 citroen bx14 RE - not been taxed since 1997 howmanyleft.co.uk (0 taxed 0 sorned)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Tim? Why thats me, and a nother chap who lives near Mothman with a rather impressive beard!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

These things take time Henry. Could be that the points are all seized up, wouldnt be surprised as its been standing for a long time. Coil could be shot, could be all sorts of things. Is the engine siezed? I know its not electrical but i would suggest if you havnt already removed the plugs that you pour a small amount of oil into the cylinders and try and turn her over carefully.
My mate Tim and i bought a pair of diesel Estates on ebay a couple of years ago and made one good one, the scrapper on its back is the one that didnt make it but it took many months of very hard work to get the other one up to and pass its MOT.
I hope to be seeing Malcolm tomorrow as i need a tool from him to remove the doors off my RD and will collect any bits from him that will help you if he has any. He said he would be having a good look when i phoned him this pm.
I told Tim about your motor and he is keen to have a look, ile be passing his house on the way to you. If all goes well, will bring Sophie, need to work on her a bit tomorrow first.

Andy
Henry.M
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Henry.M »

The only Tim I knew on here was Mr Leech but I thought you lived up near Birmingham, so would be hell of a long way to come to look at a broken banger, belive me the car is not as pretty as it is in the blury pictures :lol:

and on a more technical note, the engine is not sized! (even though the last tax disc was june 1997, the owners sons used to learn to drive in it when they where teenagers and they must be in their early 20's now) It cranks over very well, though i'm slightly scared that i've done the starter in, should be alright, but when i was getting peed off with the car i was cranking it for a tad too long and the final time i cranked it the starter made a nasty noise, im sure it's fine though. Contact breaker points, of course :oops: ruddy obvious! ( and im supposed to have a distinction in air/ exhaust, fuel , ignition and engine/cooling/lubrication) #-o and also, is the pug thing which connects to the metal plate where the coil attaches important? as two of the the three wires on that have been eaten.

and would be nice to see Sophie parked next to my red bx (Eric does not park himself in the same area as the red bx, he sits in a barn, waiting for the red bx to be ready and then he can come down the the yard to be worked on)

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Andy Henry's car does not have contact breakers as its electronic ignition, as thats what the lead i have found for you to take over on Friday is for,

and Henry yes the lead/s from the alloy plate/heat sink are important as the black device fixed to the heat sink is the leccy ignition module,

this lead has a multi pin plug connector at each end and two single connectors, these connect one to each side of the coil,

were the connectors still on your coil if so the colours of the plastic sheath's show you which one goes to which terminal,

one should be white the other is black or brown,i cant remember which goes to what side,
if you get them wrong you could destroy the module,

i will try and find the circuit and let you know which way they go

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Here are some more piccies of Henry's BX14 RE which Tim and i had a look at this morning. Defo restorable and with a lot of hard work and help from members advice from this forum ime sure he will succeed.

Good luck bud.

Andy.
Last edited by Mothman on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I only know of 1 other Mk1 14RE examples around, so this one really needs to be restored! Having seen pictures on Fb its a solid old bus with some dents that need addressing.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Henry.M
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Henry.M »

Thanks for the pictres Andy, much better quality than the ones from my phone! I really appreciated the pair of you coming down and thanks for the manual, I will return it when ive finished with it :) and Thanks malcolm for the wires, though I would like to pay you for them.

Mr leech the body work is the last of my worries to be honnest with you! its the wiring and octopust that are at the front of my mind and the major service required. I would still like to think that I might just be able to get this car ready for the summer i.e late may early june (with some brain picking of other members and a barrel of elbo grease)

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

sound to me after Andy speaking to me on the phone after he had a look today, you need to connect a battery and with a test lamp find the 12v feed from the loom just by the coil, then connect it to the plus side of the coil along with the single black connector of the lead i sent you, then the white connector goes to the negative terminal of the coil,

and with the multi pin plug fitted to were they go you should have ignition/spark

i will send you a pm

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have