Air Con Transfer from TD to TD advice please

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Air Con Transfer from TD to TD advice please

Post by Kitch »

BX Bandit wrote:Ummmm, why not leave in t'grey one then? That seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul (whoever they are)
Well, because the red one is a nicer car.

And since an hour ago, the grey one's future is looking bleak :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

/\ Yes, I see what you mean.

Matt, so you have RS24? And what did you HAVE to do (it sounded like you replaced seals but didn't have to?)
How long is it between 'top-ups'? Did they add this 'barrier' along with the refrigerant to prevent it leaking out the pipes?

I'm now thinking I'll go for a drop in replacement, mostly based on cost grounds
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Apparently I didn't HAVE to change the seals to the green neoprene type with RS24, but seeing as the system was in pieces I needed to change the O rings anyway! I don't know if anything else was added with the refrigerant, but I thought the idea of a drop in replacement was that you just put it in with no other changes required. It will have been in 7 years this May, with no top ups required so far and still blowing the same temperature (by feel) as it did to start with.

I know Phil C had to top up a system with RS24 every year, so perhaps he had an underlying leak. Or perhaps the old seals aren't ideally suited to RS24?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've no experience with air con, but with the age of our cars, I'd expect that there would be seals in many systems that are past their best regardless of the coolant used, so would probably benefit from replacement anyway.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

When the cabin heater temp is set to cold, the fan speed increases to almost Max. What is the reason for this? Is it to stop something (Evap valve?) freezing up? Personally I find it annoying. Or is it supposed to be a sort automatic 'oh, you want cold mate? I'll up the fan speed for you then?'
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Also, are the red and yellow lights of death operated differently on a BX with a/c? I'm sure there was a separate control unit? Or are both switches condensed into one?
My red and yellow lights flash on and off at will, despite the engine not being hot enough, although curiously, the yellow lamp is the always the first to illuminate and the last to extinguish
1990 BX TGD White
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

BX Bandit wrote: My red and yellow lights flash on and off at will, despite the engine not being hot enough, although curiously, the yellow lamp is the always the first to illuminate and the last to extinguish
Bandit, the yellow lamp is the lower temperature so that behaviour would be correct when overheating.

If you're sure that the engine is not overheating it could possibly be a slight furring up of the waterways in the head, near the sensors. Some years ago I had some spurious illumination of the red lamp and although the gauge was riding slightly higher, the coolant was well below boiling.

Treating the system with "Barr's Professional Flush" sorted that and the red light has behaved itself since.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:When the cabin heater temp is set to cold, the fan speed increases to almost Max.
I think only on AC cars, the full speed relay is only enabled when set to fully cold. Certainly there is (now removed in my case) a SPCO microswitch on the temperature control dial to bypass the relay unless fully cold. Much wine has been consumed this end, so I can't quite figure out why that would cause a change in speed unless the speed dial was already on max. though...
Also, are the red and yellow lights of death operated differently on a BX with a/c?
Yes (possibly). From memory, there is a system to cut the AC if the engine overheats. I think one of the temperature switches has a two pin connector, but my AC donor car had the standard arrangement so it was only from my research that I remember this. Whether it had been bodged back to standard, or some AC systems had the normal arrangement I don't know.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

mat_fenwick wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:When the cabin heater temp is set to cold, the fan speed increases to almost Max.
I think only on AC cars, the full speed relay is only enabled when set to fully cold. Certainly there is (now removed in my case) a SPCO microswitch on the temperature control dial to bypass the relay unless fully cold. Much wine has been consumed this end, so I can't quite figure out why that would cause a change in speed unless the speed dial was already on max. though...

Yes - only on A/C cars. I was thinking of removing the switch as well but it actual fact, it'd be a useful function if it only did it when the a/c was on, but not when the a/c is off.

Also, are the red and yellow lights of death operated differently on a BX with a/c?
Yes (possibly). From memory, there is a system to cut the AC if the engine overheats. I think one of the temperature switches has a two pin connector, but my AC donor car had the standard arrangement so it was only from my research that I remember this. Whether it had been bodged back to standard, or some AC systems had the normal arrangement I don't know.
I'll get off my butt and look at the wiring diagrams, but the car won't be furred up or over heating, the yellow and red lights blink quickly on and off suggesting an electrical fault, whereas if it were an over heating fault then I'd expect there to be at least minutes of delay between the red and yellow lamps going on and off.
1990 BX TGD White