Electricity Escaping

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Electricity Escaping

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote: but as I understand it, typical SMPS switching frequencies are well into the kHz range. Dunno whether this is better or worse...
Better from a smoothness point of view. :D

It also would be better if they were used (and possibly are now) in home burglar alarm systems for the maintenance of the back-up battery which is one of those Yuasa lead-acid types. I've had to replace 3 of these due to cells going faulty and causing false triggering. Silly really when you consider that this battery does virtually no work, living just the charged life.

However perhaps not so good for Radio-Amateurs. A friend of mine hates them with a vengeance as in his words "they radiate all sorts of shit across the band". It apparently needs his remedial attention installing ferrite slugs to get them even half-way acceptable amongst the neighbours gear in his locality. And as for what he says about those mains routed ethernet extenders.... :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I bought one of these 'Honda' marked batt chargers that sort of teases the batt back to life and cannot over charge.
Works just fine on all of the motors.

Andy
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

A kHz is easily achievable on the motorway on a standard petrol of all flavours
The pulleys on the drive belt are arranged so that the alternator spins at a particular max speed - ratios are different between petrol and diesel to cope with the different max engine revs. But yes - a KHz is achievable - and it's at this maximum (and with the battery at or close to it's minimum - 11.6 to 12.0 volts) that the "rated" output of the alternator occurs - all other circumstances it is controlled to an appropriate level below it's max output. didn't put that very well but you probably get the jist.
aircraft electronics was I seem to remember 400Hz.
I thought that was a power distribution frequency rather than derived from an alternator - but I don't actually know - I've designed avionics but we were just using the 28v DC supply.
I recall reading about low frequency "resonators" that operated about 7Hz being developed that were supposedly capable of causing a building collapse. Tesla was supposed to have made a breakthrough on an early one of these that was almost pocket sized.
Now you see - you've mentioned one of my heroes so now I'm bound to rabbit on a bit :lol: Nikola Tesla and Keely before him designed resonators - and there are some anecdotes from the realms of "overtone singing" as well - that's people who are capable of producing more than one note at a time :shock:

For many years The Smithsonian museum had a sculpture of Westinghouse as "Father of Alternating Current" or somesuch description, and the brass plaque quoted a number of patents relating to 3 phase AC distribution etc - all the patents were Tesla's :shock:

And Marconi was "the facilitator" of radio rather than its inventor - most of the workings of radio were underpinned by around 20 patents - again they were from Tesla.

There was an occasion when Tesla, having left Westinghouse's employment was called back to sort out a power station problem that no-one else seemed to be able to fix - Westinghouse told him to "charge whatever he wanted". So Tesla visited the power station and chalk-marked one of the machines with a cross saying "change that machine and all will be well".

Sure enough the machine was changed and it fixed the fault - and the bill for $10,000 arrived with Westinghouse :lol: who returned it - asking for it to be "itemised".

Tesla returned the itemised bill...

To - making a chalk mark on one machine... $1
To - knowing which machine to mark... $9,999 :lol:
On reliability I still would prefer a linear psu.
Damned right - I'm in the process of replacing all the 'electronic' lighting 'transformers' in the house with real transformers - the electronic ones are just too flakey - one day I'll write some stuff about SPFMA - Single Point Failure Mode Analysis - but not today - got things to do :lol:
However perhaps not so good for Radio-Amateurs. A friend of mine hates them with a vengeance as in his words "they radiate all sorts of shit across the band".
Indeed they do... even though, I'm currenty designing-in some SMPSUs between 5W and 500W - 40khz to 150KHz. I wonder how long it'll be before I chuck those out in disgust as well :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Dominic
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dominic »

I expect you've sorted this by now, but, can you access the cells in the battery? - mine started loosing charge recently, and it was a couple of cells run dry - haven't seen a battery with accessible screw top cells for years, but thankfully mine is one of them, just topped 'em up and all is fine again.
Dom
91 TZD
02 Picasso HDI
'12 DS5
83 Moto Morini 500
70 Fiat 850 Spider
Anything that turns money into noise...
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Yes, the problem was resolved by plugging the alternator back in properly. The battery cells looked healthy, didn't appear to need topping up at all. I would've joined in with the electrics debate, but most of it was well above my head.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Mothman wrote:I bought one of these 'Honda' marked batt chargers that sort of teases the batt back to life and cannot over charge.
Works just fine on all of the motors.

Andy
That'll be an Optimate. I've been using them for years, especially on things that don't move much over winter like the digger, tractor and MX-5.

In fact I've ended up with loads of the things. I had one of the first in the early nineties (later struck by lightning) and I've just counted up to find I've got at least eight of them, from a simple 1997 version to the latest specific one for Lithium racing batteries, plus a workshop unit that does five batteries at once (doesn't do the desulphating bit, just keeps the batteries topped up). I think I probably need help... But then again I can't remember the last time I had to throw out a battery... The battery on the digger is probably ten or twelve years old now, still fires it up first turn.

Anyway, late to this thread and also curious about the missing battery light on the dash. Whilst on one of my dashes back to the UK last weekend, got back in car to be greeted with a feeble click from the solenoid - flat battery, no warning from battery light. Fortunately happened outside Nick the 2CV man's house, so jumped it, then checked charging voltage. Zilch. Realised/remembered that battery light hadn't been coming on before startup the previous day or so. Nick produced a 'special Citroen alternator hitting stick, with associated mallet' and gave the alternator housing one sharp tap with the engine running. Charge voltage immediately restored, and battery warning light now working as it should (ie coming on with ignition, going out as soon as engine starts. So, I can imagine that the tap might have loosened a stuck brush or something, but why would the battery light be affected at the same time?
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I can imagine that the tap might have loosened a stuck brush or something,
It does sound as though it has loosened a stuck brush. I don't know whether there's one or two on the BX range of alternators but in an alternator brushes only run on a slipring (as opposed to a commutator) and can get stuck or get intermittant when they are on their last legs and the spring(s) that keep them in contact with the slipring are on the very last bit of movement they have available.

If that's the case then this alternator is likely to fail again in a matter of days - a few weeks at the most.

I don't know how the lamp circuit within the alternator works - but it may be that it needs the brush to be in contact with the slipring for it to work (for it to show when the ignition is turned on). That's a guess but there is some logic behind it.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've been giving my alternator a tap now & again for the last few months, still going :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
KevR
1K Away

Post by KevR »

electrokid wrote:

If that's the case then this alternator is likely to fail again in a matter of days - a few weeks at the most.
Yep, going to change it soon - time to do the cambelt and water pump anyway so I'll do it all at the same time - got a few on the shelf. Any advice on testing/cleaning the one I end up fitting? Worth replacing the brushes etc?
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Sounds like a good time to replace it anyway then :D

I guess refurb depends on the condition in which you find it but since you have time to work on it when it's off the car there's no reason for skimping on it. I'd replace brushes if it's obvious that there's a fair amount of wear on them - if the spring looks as though it has a fair amount of travel still to go and the brushes look in reasonable nick then I wouldn't bother. If you do replace then make sure you get the right replacement if you can find it - if you have to buy a larger brush and file it to size then make sure it is man enough for the job - brushes for low voltage have a greater brass content - brushes for high voltage stuff like hoovers etc have low brass content and will wear out much more quickly. If you have to file it to size then be as precise as you can - they should be run dry without any lubricant but still need to slide easily in the mounting - if it's too loose and can wobble in the mounting it might get stuck. The brushgear only drives a relatively small amount of current into the rotor to create a magnetic field - it doesn't carry the high current of the alternator output so if you have to look for a suitable brush to modify to fit then you don't need one with a big fat wire attached - a skinny wire will do the job.

Sometimes the slipring can wear to a slight oval shape - it needs to be circular of course - and clean - spin the rotor and gently hold some wet-and-dry 400 grade or higher against it then blow the dust away with an air line or bicycle pump. Turn the rotor slowly and observe any slight movement of the brush to check for roundness - if there's any movement then it needs to be skimmed in a lathe.

When my alternator front bearing siezed last year I looked through the drawings and found that the front bearing type is common to most of the alternator variants for the BX - it might still be readily available - possibly under a different part number for other PSA models - you might be able to locate that by chatting with your local PSA parts department if you can find or already know someone who really knows their stuff. I haven't looked yet but I imagine that's a press fit.

But then the usual rules apply - if it looks good then it probably is good :D

The simplest test is to spin the rotor by hand with a voltmeter connected between the big output terminal (+) and the metalwork (-). If that's producing a voltage then all is probably well - if it's not then grab another one to work on.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
KevR
1K Away

Post by KevR »

All good advice I'll bear it in mind. Part of me hopes it needs sorting on a lathe, on account of how I've just got oen....
KevR
1K Away

Post by KevR »

Just to resurrect this thread.... Two months on from the original alternator problem, and no issues since, so I forgot all about it. Until the last couple of days, on yet another whistle-stop tour of the UK (800 miles in two days). Alt packed up on the A34 in the middle of the night on sunday - tap with a wheelbrace and all was fine but it's needed a couple more taps since. Home now, and it's working fine ( I think it just doesn't like going to England) but this time I really will get round to changing it!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Perhaps just full of brush dust, try a blast out with compressed air although they brushes will need doing too when nowt left.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.