BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: A few queries...hope you can help!

Post by Defender110 »

Could the horn and HWR not be an earthing problem?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
peanuts

Re: A few queries...hope you can help!

Post by peanuts »

Very impressed by the service from Big Red. Seal kit arrived today and even went through the letter box! All seals present including the sliders. Tried to post a photo but Photobucket appears not to be working.

Re the earths on the electrics, I might go back to the wiring diagrams. Stupid to say when things work they work and when they don't - they don't. With the HRW right at the back and the horn at the front, both probably earthed close to the units (or perhaps through the body with the horn), I can't imagine any common earth wiring between the two. I've had the towbar off to repair the rear cross member and taking the wiring apart did involve checking all the earths etc at the back and reassembling. All was good.

The last bit of electrical weirdness was ignition lights staying on even though engine off and keys out of ignition. I thought ignition switch but even with this was disconnected lights remained on. I turned up the heater fan so I could hear it outside and went wriggling connections. The fan responded when I got to the main power connector (coming from the battery). Cleaning this resolved things - why it was doing what it was doing I don't know.

Hazards have been a bit funny too but I saw this coming as operating the switch caused the relay to grumble as though there was a poor connection. A week or so back the dash light issue came back but main connector was fine. I pulled out the hazard switch which was warm so replaced this and all is okay again. It had several wires on the back so might have been shorting and back feeding somehow.

Just the HRW and horn now but at least they work sometimes! It's rather irritating that a vehicle with simple technology is having these problems! Oddly enough the hazards appear on the same control unit thing I found in the book so perhaps the fault was related.
'91 BX TGD Estate
'52 Big 15 small boot (in bits)
'50 something H van cattle truck