Changing automatic gearbox oil

BX Tech talk
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Re: Changing automatic gearbox oil

Post by Slagtrooper »

Interesting topic, i will follow this.

I tried to find some Youtube videos with their flush advices, but compared to the HP14, it doesn't have the same system as described with the XM box (External oil cooler)

So, change regularly or (even if it's posssible), disassemble the box and extract from the converter the old oil?

Exist some way to adapt the HP18 in a XU9?
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Is the auto box used in the ZX the same as the BX one? I only ask because a mate had one which covered 180,000miles with no issues, and he even towed a transporter trailer with it on occasion!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

mds141 wrote:I've developed the routine of changing the auto box fluid with every engine oil/filter change, ie every six months or 6000 miles. Dexron 2 is relatively cheap and certainly much cheaper than a transmission rebuild.
It would seem to be the hidden answer, wouldn't it =D> ? Its a service item of regular maintenance not a long or high mileage change of fluids, as suggested. Pretty thick by Citroen, there, coming in #-o . Shades of modern car servicing. Sealed or long serviced for life; a short one :evil: .
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

citsncycles wrote:Is the auto box used in the ZX the same as the BX one? I only ask because a mate had one which covered 180,000miles with no issues, and he even towed a transporter trailer with it on occasion!

Yup and generally a very reliable unit if coupled to the correct power unit as in the case of the BX/ZX
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Phil C had a GTi auto with over 225000 miles on it and the auto box was still fine when it got scrapped (due to rust and a blow headgasket).

My 19TZI auto is still lovely and smooth having covered a mere 91000 miles (although I want to change the autobox fluid again), I have heard of the diesel autos being less reliable than the petrol, the reason given was the diesel vibration shakeds the box about,
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

As with anything mechanical how it is driven is the main contributory factor to reliability/longevity of any drive train component; Rag it and you'll bust it, use it correctly and it will last the lifetime of the vehicle and beyond.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

What, ragging it causes issues? Thats mine knackered then ;)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Indeed the auto fluid is not to dear at just under £4 a litre from GSF. A saving grace if I am to change it a few times.

When I stopped off at to book up the MOT on the way back from the scrapyard Mike, the time served MOT guy I use, said they had a device to suck the fluid out of these boxes, bit like a Smart. He never used it himself but he thought it was inserted through the level stick tube but was unsure how it tapped the torque converter. Might be round the workshop but there has been a clearout so probably gone. Suggested there might be a tapped hole for an oil cooler even if it is not fitted so that you could chase the fluid out that way. So no real inner knowledge there.

Stocked up on LHM while I was at GSF. If the spheres are that old it suggest the system will want a good clear out.

Worryingly the assistant, great guy, gave every indication that they rarely supply spheres now, and while he could get the ones I needed directly from Bristol, I do wonder if pressure will come on for stock holding against turnover slowing availability on the more unusual and older types. He was an AX fan, so bit of a chat, as it was late in the day before closing. Swindon GSF is very handy for me and right opposite Aldi Mart.

Trooper sounds a good one. Older than most of the BX, it is one of the first TDI Citation SWB. Only 58k miles and looked after, garage has a carpet! I think rust is going to be the prob as the steel was not that brilliant on these. Simple machine, not the best ride on a trip, but it will pull, is OK in the poo and sounds a bargain. A similar Range Rover is just to expensive a risk. The only way to get a good one is to be lucky, like this Trooper possibly, or find an early one to totally rebuild. Well that is not going to happen soon. To much else to do. So a classic Trooper will do. With the stupid price of vans now I might look for a Towavan. At a reasonable price I have a more flexible answer to moving stuff for what people want for a knackered van plus the small car trailer can go to claim a few quid, and space, back. Mate has our pool big trailer designed for moving Land Rovers. Towavan, the mobile shed when not in use.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Aren't I right in saying our dear late friend Alan over at Aussie Frogs did loads of research into these boxes some years ago?
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Thinking about it again, sorry for resurrecting the topic:

This: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hurrican ... 84213.html

I don't know if the AL4 donut is the same or compatible with 4HP14.
I think the key to make a better oil change is from the oil cooler. It could be good if a donut with i/o for oil, instead of coolant could be machined, so it become "flushable". Then finally puts an external radiator with an electric fan, good for heavy traffic and hot places.
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???