Dollywobbler's TZD estate - departure time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Dollywobbler's TZD estate

Post by Dollywobbler »

Very possible. I've no idea how to investigate that though.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Way2go wrote:
Dollywobbler wrote: I have had the air filter out completely - made no difference. There is a lot of oil getting into the air filter housing though.
Something blocked/pressurised in the crankcase oil breather system perhaps?
Probably just the fact that the engine has done 300k miles and has a bit of crank pressure, which is fairly standard on a high-miler XUD.

Couple of thoughts... The turbo sounds like you either have a split return hose, hence the oil slick on the back of the engine, or the shaft seals are shot, which will be contributing to the smokescreen on full power. Easy enough to check given that you've got some drive-ons.

The lack of power with black smoke sounds very like either a blockage or (more likely) a leak in the inlet air system. Probably after the injection pump pressure sense point, hence the injection pump reads a higher pressure than is actually being presented to the inlet manifold, and you get black smoke.

I've been away from the forum for a looong time, so slightly lost track of everyone here (although I read your thread about the Mk1 BX D RHD with amusement! :mrgreen: ). I have a feeling you live remarkably close to my parents in Wales, who I happen to be visiting next week. I'd happily pop round to see if I can identify what's causing the problems.

Also, have you bought the replacement rear arm bearing kit? They're not *that* hard to change, I've done 4 now. Take about 2hrs in total, even allowing for mud / siezed bolts / skinned knuckles / swearing / tea drinking / kicking the car / repairing the dent. PM me if you're interested.
this might be a signature
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks David. This weekend approaching I'm sadly away (with BX). I haven't bought the arm bearing kit yet - awaiting payment on some invoices (again!).
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Oil in the air filter housing is common and seems to get worse with mileage.
Turbo oil seals will likely be at end of life, more so if it's a KKK turbo and as David said will add mahoosively to your smokescreen.

David said: "The lack of power with black smoke sounds very like either a blockage or (more likely) a leak in the inlet air system. Probably after the injection pump pressure sense point....."

......which is either the D shaped rubber seal between the intercooler and the inlet manifold or where the inlet manifold meets the head. (unless your inlet manifold has cracked or gone porous but I've not heard of that happening)

Being a Lucas, there is a rubber diaghram responsible for adjusting the fuel required under boost. This can perish, giving you no extra fuel during boost and it's uber slow, nothing seems to happen at all! BUT, that wouldn't explain your black smoke as the lack of fuel if anything will give you a cleaner burn.

David, if you going to your parents, do you fancy searching for a certain red and black striped door card sweetie? I'll make you cuppa tea when you visit in passing [-o< :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Well. I will certainly have a good look for the pinstripe door card while I'm up there, although if I'm honest, I'm not massively hopeful of finding it. I don't remember lobbing it out, quite the opposite, I'm sure I kept it but I've not seen it in a goodly long time.
this might be a signature
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

:mrgreen: I keep pestering don't I? I feel incomplete and naked without it!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Anyway, even though it's for sale, the BX undertook a 400 mile drive this weekend. Ended up parked up with other BXs and non-2CVs at a 2CV meet.

Good to meet some other BXers there! Though the ones I met didn't own the cars pictured.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Dollywobbler's TZD estate - FOR SALE

Post by Tim Leech »

What's the red one with the stripes?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It has patina! A slightly faded 19TRS.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Rare colour though! You could make that look better.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Anyway, the BX has been working hard again.

Wood hauling. That's about as much as I want to carry on public roads - anymore and I'd be in danger of spearing myself if I had to brake. It barely noticed the extra load, but I'm sure it did the rear brakes the world of good.

Perhaps I'm not ready to get rid of this car just yet. I just need more money!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Keep it - I can't see you loading the Merc like that somehow!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Did another load today. Bit annoying having a manual fan switch when there's no temperature gauge! Must get around to ordering a new fan switch.

Also, the tick time is plummeting. It's about once a second at the moment. Silly me for not getting an accumulator sphere when I ordered the suspension spheres.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I would get one asap Ian as it could knacker your HP pump out pretty quickly.
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

Seen some pretty cheap accumulator spheres on ebay since I replaced all mine.
1990 Black BX GTI