Rob's 40 valves - can't stop the rock - or do I mean rot...

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
djoptix
BXpert

Rob's 40 valves - can't stop the rock - or do I mean rot...

Post by djoptix »

I think it's time to start a new thread for my 16v. The pictures have stopped working and it was mostly me asking stupid questions and doing nothing. At least this one will be slightly less stupid questions, and me doing nothing. The plan was always (and still is) to turn it into a road legal track car.

The car came from Stevo on the old, old bx16v.com forum. I ran it daily until 2007 when it was laid up. Since then it has languished in Herefordshire with very little happening. There has been some progress recently though. It has come back to live with me (I swapped it with my dad for a Land Rover 110 CSW). Vanny's words on seeing it were "where the fuck did you get that, it's in a state". I had to confess that it looked much better than this when it came to me...

Anyway, it has had a new rad, donated its back box to Vanny's valver, and there's more in the pipeline.

Since being laid up it has been cultivating a paint job that would make the halfwits on retro-rides have a gentleman's moment...

New steering wheel fitted.

Interior looking good, co-driver optional.

So the plans from here are - budget and SWMBO permitting, I should have it on the road this year...

Interior stuff
Fit new central locking (water ingress means that the old CL controller has died).

Exterior stuff
New headlamp & indicator.
New fog lamps of some description, I've got a few ideas which don't include original ones.
Plate over sunroof hole (the interior is removed).

Mechanical stuff
New rocker cover gasket
Fit stainless exhaust
New HT leads and plugs
Change wheels for C5 steelies all round
Rear arm bearings
Pipes will doubtless need attention

Vanity stuff
Swap spheres to harder combination
Harness bar
Wash it
MOT it
Last edited by djoptix on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: Rob's 16v

Post by Mickey taker »

Another set of speedlinrs coming up for sale then ?
Wonder what they would look like on my 406 estate,
Oh and the paintwork, its called patina amongst the classic car mob
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

"Plate over sunroof hole"

How easy is that to do? I have major rust (put finger through style) all along the front of my sunroof, courtesy of wind deflector. The only reason it's watertight and non-holy is that the deflector is, erm, deflecting! There's moss and bits of stuff that used to be metal all in there...
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ahh that's where those seats ended up! I wanted those but the disappeared off the radar, so I sold my leather interior :(

Weird choice of seat to have in a track car!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

it is THOSE seats! you lucky bugger!
Late P1 too, and it matches my diesel for paint!
I rather like that!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Pass me the G3.....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

At the moment it's certainly got 'neglect' tatoo'd across the bonnet, that's for sure (not literally obviously). Nothing a few sunny weekends and an equal amount of dosh wouldn't bang to rights though. I imagine the 'sunny weekends' might be harder to come by than the dosh :( Good luck with it anyway! 8)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Perhaps I'm strange. But I quite like the faded, algae-esque, rat look. If it was polished, it would be just like every other shiny BX. But as I said, I think I'm strange. 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I don't know of any other P1 red valvers though.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote: it would be just like every other shiny BX
Yeah, all those mint, shiny, red phase one valvers that are such a common sight on the highways and byways of the United Kingdom . . . all two of them. :D

mds141 wrote: I think I'm strange.
Yes
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

mds141 wrote:Perhaps I'm strange. But I quite like the faded, algae-esque, rat look. If it was polished, it would be just like every other shiny BX. But as I said, I think I'm strange. 8)
I'm with ya...I'd only go to town on it if it was original. Its a tool, it doesn't need to be tarty!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Wouldnt take much to make it look the part again, anyone got an interior...
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

I will attempt to answer these in order :)
Another set of speedlines coming up for sale then ?
Wonder what they would look like on my 406 estate
Yes, the Speedlines will be for sale. Don't know what they would look like on a 406! A bit small I suspect?
"Plate over sunroof hole", how easy is that to do?
I don't know. I am not planning on it being perfect, so I imagine I can get away with cutting an aluminium plate, drilling holes and riveting with sealant. This is the only bit of the plan I'm not sure about, because there's no going back once you've drilled holes in the roof...
Ahh that's where those seats ended up! I wanted those but the disappeared off the radar, so I sold my leather interior. Weird choice of seat to have in a track car!
Kitch, sorry about that - I think the guy I bought them off (in Glasgow) was meant to give you first refusal and didn't. You're right that they might not be supportive enough, I just love them though! And although this is a track car project, I want it to be fully road legal too - the barry boys that make track cars tend to just rip everything out, then leave it to rust on the drive... I don't want that to happen here. Although in a way it already has... ;)

Re cleaning it... I was going to leave it for a bit just for a laugh, perhaps try and make it as far as the MOT or even a track day with the moss still in place, but I do want to get it back to looking good at some point. I will definitely need all the help I can get from the polishing experts!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

djoptix wrote:
"Plate over sunroof hole", how easy is that to do?
I don't know. I am not planning on it being perfect, so I imagine I can get away with cutting an aluminium plate, drilling holes and riveting with sealant. This is the only bit of the plan I'm not sure about, because there's no going back once you've drilled holes in the roof...
Joggle a new panel in. Then weld or screw.

http://www.tamatools.com/joggler.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could consider taking the roof support rail from a scrap car and putting that under the panel to stop it sagging/looking dreadful.

Failing that, OSB!
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

LOL @ OSB. I hope it won't come to that. I have found someone on the Evo forum who is ace with bodywork and might be able to help me out.

Not much other progress on the car, it's been too damn cold, but I have been taking a leaf out of Rob Hughes's book and buying parts for it. Today these arrived - they're from a 205 but I'm hoping I can make them fit; or failing that, remove the fans and fit them to the cowling in mine so that I have one on a thermostat and one on a switch in the car.

What's more, I have a K&N filter, scored off Retro-Rides for £10. I am told that fitting one of these will add 20bhp and make my car Great_4_DRIFTIN.